Fourth COVID vaccine shot substantially reduces risk of pneumonitis and death

webfact

15 hours ago, connda said:

I'm not sure if I had it or not.  May have had it in August 2020 as almost everyone in the Tambon had bad upper respiratory infections.  I may go to a lab to get a antibody test to see if I've been exposed now that a positive antibody test (not an antigen test - different test) won't flag you for an unwanted stay in a Covid ward.

Not sure but I believe the antibodies are only present for about a year at most. 

On 9/2/2022 at 1:31 AM, spidermike007 said:

The 3rd booster may also be effective against kangaroo pox. Where do these numbers come from? Are the boosters even effective against Omicron, and BA 4.6, BA5 and BA 4.6? How many boosters is enough? At what point do we start depending on a healthy immune system?

The problem with the "healthy immune system plan" is that we can be healthy and eat blueberries and take vitamin pills and get exercise and lots of sleep and don't get sick... until we get sick.  

If we live in a place with low exposure or a life style that limits exposure we don't know how strong our immune system is.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Much higher than people who have been vaccinated.  

"People who don’t get vaccinated against COVID-19 are putting themselves in danger and also are creating a “disproportionate” threat to the health of vaccinated people, even in places with high vaccination rates, says a study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal."

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20220427/unvaccinated-people-create-higher-risk-for-vaccinated-study-says

'Much higher than people who have been vaccinated.'

That's certainly true of people with serious underlying co-morbidities, but I do not think it is true for younger people in normal health where Omicron is concerned.  Still, we never know what's round the corner, so the case for 'future proofing' is valid imo.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Not sure to get another vaccine or not. 

I have health issues after Covid but not sure if they were caused by the vaccine or if the vaccine made the issues less serious.

Sorry to hear that. Your issues started after taking the shot?

7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

That's certainly true of people with serious underlying co-morbidities, but I do not think it is true for younger people in normal health where Omicron is concerned.  Still, we never know what's round the corner, so the case for 'future proofing' is valid imo.

And then there is the question of what relevance does "much higher" have, if the underlying chance is very low.

For example, delving into the UK's Office for National Statistics mortality, for the period Jan - May 2022, the discrepancy in Covid death rates can be seen quite clearly. In the 35-39 age group, the vaccinated had a death rate per person-year of 3 per 100,000; in the unvaccinated, this was "much higher" at 17.5 per 100,000.

But even that higher rate is just 1 in 6000, and while there are those who would say the data demonstrate the obvious sense of getting vaccinated, I would say that the minimal chance of death provides ample justification for those who choose, for one reason or another, not to get vaccinated.

After all, there are plenty of behaviors which people routinely engage in which carry a much higher risk of death than that in any given year.

Edited by onthedarkside
unsourced claim removed
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 1:52 PM, Trujillo said:

"He said that people must adjust to the new normal lifestyle, by wearing face masks when in public or crowded areas, maintaining social distancing and regularly sanitizing their hands."

Wow, this guy is at least a year and a half out of date. 

Does the good doctor have the ability to read and digest relevant material in English on the subject? I feel like the "learned-class" of medical "professionals" here are caught in a swirling eddy; trapped in a posture of continually chasing their own tails. 

This makes me even more fearful of ever having any important medical procedure done on me in this country. "Nothing a little blood-letting won't cure!"
>..<

As for the vaccine information, can you imagine submitting this in your Master's or PhD program? Lordy!

Sanitizing your hands I dont see so please explain. Covid is an air borne disease not a contact borne or at least that is what some of the top virologists have said. Is there anything from independent sources that state hand sanitizing has significant effect? If so where can I find it as everything I have read does not mention it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

"Vaccination Helps Prevent Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) Associated with COVID-19"

• "COVID-19  can make children and teens of any age very sick and can sometimes require treatment in a hospital. Some children and teens have even died from COVID-19."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/why-vaccinate-children-teens.html

Especially important as young people usually live with there grandparents and other elderly family members.  Getting vaccinated can prevent the spread to everyone else.

13 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

From the Public Health Agency of Sweden:

COVID-19 vaccination for children aged 12–15

"Vaccinations against COVID-19 are in progress in Sweden and within the EU. In Sweden, everyone aged 12 and over is offered vaccination against COVID-19."

Children from 12 years of age are offered vaccination against COVID-19

Vaccination is offered to all children from 12 years of age since COVID-19 can cause serious illness also in children. The vaccine used in Sweden, Comirnaty, is approved for use from 12 years of age. It provides a high level of protection against serious illness."

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/vaccination-against-covid-19/children-and-adolescents--information-about-vaccination-against-covid-19/

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sweden-decides-against-recommending-covid-vaccines-kids-aged-5-12-2022-01-27/

Sweden has decided against recommending COVID vaccines for kids aged 5-11, the Health Agency said on Thursday, arguing that the benefits did not outweigh the risks. "With the knowledge we have today, with a low risk for serious disease for kids, we don't see any clear benefit with vaccinating them," Health Agency official Britta Bjorkholm told a news conference.

"You may recall that early on in the pandemic, Sweden decided to take the “natural immunity” approach and ditch the lockdown strategy, despite warnings from the WHO."

“They had some of the highest death rates in Europe,”

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/02/the-reason-sweden-isnt-vaccinating-kids-5-11-against-covid-explained/

Edited by MrJ2U

7 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Sanitizing your hands I dont see so please explain. Covid is an air borne disease not a contact borne or at least that is what some of the top virologists have said. Is there anything from independent sources that state hand sanitizing has significant effect? If so where can I find it as everything I have read does not mention it.

You can get the virus (or other bacteria) from others surfaces that have contaminated with it from someone sneezing or coughing.  You can get infected by then touching you nose, face or eyes. 

Washing your hands or using sanitizer will hopefully kill the pathogens. 

"CDC recommends washing hands with soap and water whenever possible because handwashing reduces the amounts of all types of germs and chemicals on hands. But if soap and water are not available, using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol can help you avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. The guidance for effective handwashing and use of hand sanitizer in community settings was developed based on data from a number of studies."

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

hopefully you wash your hands occasionally in any case. 

Edited by MrJ2U

44 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

"Face masks were not recommended for the general public during the first wave, and only in certain situations later in the pandemic. During spring 2020, the reported Covid death rate in Sweden was among the highest in the world. Neighbouring countries that implemented rapid lockdown measures, such as Norway and Denmark, were faring much better, and Sweden received harsh criticism for its lax approach."

https://www.thestatesman.com/opinion/swedens-open-covid-policy-work-1503100484.html

• Confused 1

But the other poster also was correct in the reports he posted about Sweden having a very high death rate during the earlier parts of the pandemic.

A year and a half after Sweden decided not to lock down, its COVID-19 death rate is up to 10 times higher than its neighbors

Aug 21, 2021, 6:55 PM

"Sweden has also recorded around 145 COVID-19 deaths for every 100,000 people — around three times more than Denmark, eight times more than Finland, and nearly 10 times more than Norway.

Had Sweden implemented tighter rules, experts told Insider, the country might have seen a COVID-19 death toll more similar to those Nordic neighbors."

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-covid-no-lockdown-strategy-failed-higher-death-rate-2021-8

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/swedens-death-rate-among-lowest-europe-despite-avoiding-strict/

Sweden’s Covid death rate among lowest in Europe, despite avoiding strict lockdowns

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/science-health/956673/did-sweden-covid-experiment-pay-off

WHO data reveals Scandinavian country has lower excess death rate than many European nations

26 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

From your article:

Although Sweden was hit hard by the first wave, its total excess deaths during the first two years of the pandemic were actually among the lowest in Europe. The decision to keep primary schools open also paid off. The incidence of severe acute Covid in children has been low, and a recent study showed that Swedish children didn’t suffer the learning loss seen in many other countries.

Luckily Sweden's back on track with 74% vaccination rate.  Demographics helps also.

Unfortunately the virus is always mutating and comes in waves.  

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comments removed
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Perspective is important. I have merely questioned whether the risk is much higher in younger, healthy people, and not whether there is no risk at all.  Also, as another poster pointed out we are really talking about very small numbers here.  The risk is in fact very low.

The link https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/why-vaccinate-children-teens.html also points out that some youngsters have become seriously ill and have died which of course is true, but I would also contend that these numbers are extremely small, and in any case overwhelmingly occur in children who are already profoundly challenged, so of course they should be vaccinated.

Clearly where grandparents are at risk then they must be fully vaccinated- this is in fact the stand out benefit of vaccines- they absolutely do prevent serious illness and death in this age group spectacularly well.

(As a 60 plus poster, I have had 3 shots.  It didn't stop me getting covid but I do think that it shortened the episode.  And even though the booster caused me a fever and headache, I will likely get a 4th vaccine in 6 months or so. I would actually suggest every adult gets vaccinated.)

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Not sure to get another vaccine or not. 

I have health issues after Covid but not sure if they were caused by the vaccine or if the vaccine made the issues less serious.

This chicken or the egg question has actually been getting quite popular in Europe these days

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

You can get the virus (or other bacteria) from others surfaces that have contaminated with it from someone sneezing or coughing.  You can get infected by then touching you nose, face or eyes. 

Washing your hands or using sanitizer will hopefully kill the pathogens. 

"CDC recommends washing hands with soap and water whenever possible because handwashing reduces the amounts of all types of germs and chemicals on hands. But if soap and water are not available, using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol can help you avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. The guidance for effective handwashing and use of hand sanitizer in community settings was developed based on data from a number of studies."

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

hopefully you wash your hands occasionally in any case. 

Very difficult to get it from hands or maybe the top virologists are wrong, could be

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Very difficult to get it from hands or maybe the top virologists are wrong, could be

The problem is getting on your hands then touching your face.

Your right it's spread mainly by areosals 

Washing hands isn't really a priority unfortunately in Issan. 

• "People may also become infected when touching their eyes, nose or mouth after touching surfaces or objects that have been contaminated by the virus."
  • "The  virus can spread from an infected person’s mouth or nose in small liquid particles when they cough, sneeze, speak, sing or breathe. Another person can then contract the virus when infectious particles that pass through the air are inhaled at short range (this is often called short-range aerosol or short-range airborne transmission)"

https://www.who.int/news-room/questions-and-answers/item/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-how-is-it-transmitted