"Drunk" Brit pensioner, 70, reverses into Thais killing one injuring one - then damages 4 vehicles before overturning

webfact

1 hour ago, transam said:
1 hour ago, Muzzique said:

Is everyone forgetting he killed someone. A guy, 53, maybe a father, grandfather, brother, uncle, cousin.

Somewhere  there is a family that has been ripped apart.

People seem to take this far to lightly. In my opinion he is a murderer, Whether drunk or not he took his car and killed someone.

When will people not understand that being over the limit and then driving is the most despicable and disgusting thing anyone can do.

Anyone that does is the lowest form of life on the planet and should be put away for life, regardless.

If he was drunk he is a pig of a human being. If he wasn't then he is still a pig of a human being.

DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!!  

Expand  

I thought planning to kill was murder, I don't think this guy planned it.....????

Though no excuses from me for this bloke, LOS really is the drink drive capital of the world, it didn't take me many years to work that out....????

I agree.. but, drink driving is also implies that you don’t care sufficiently for others such that you may not care if you killed someone - drinking is more important than a stranger safety...  

... knowing that your actions could lead to the death of someone (i.e. drink driving) is not far off murder...  the technical difference ‘manslaughter’...  or specifically ‘gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated’....  (if proven to be intoxicated). 

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The definition of an Immigration is a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country...

Any single one of us who are not Thai yet live long term in Thailand can accurately be considered immigrations, equally so we could be termed residents, expats etc etc... the terms are not mutually exclusive or inaccurate....

The topic itself is a particularly moot point and irrelevant point except for those who get hung up in the semantics of the terminology - it just means a foreigner living here (or anywhere) and we all know that. 

the fact that all you can do is quote a dictionary shows that you are just not up to debating this topic. Just like on other threads your thinking is below par.

heres's other definition

"Simply put, an immigrant is a person living in a country other than that of his or her birth. No matter if that person has taken the citizenship of the destination country, served in its military, married a native, or has another status—he or she will forever be an international migrant."

The problem is that racists have immigrants and when they realise they are one too they do anything to pretend they aren't.

As far as "permanently" as part of a definition it is just daft s no-one can predict the future. By your definition, If you die in Thailand then you have to redefine yourself as an immigrant post mortem?

Edited by Thunglom
  • Confused 3

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Any single one of us who are not Thai yet live long term in Thailand can accurately be considered immigrations, equally so we could be termed residents, expats etc etc... the

I'm Thai yet still am immigrant, resiident and expat. 

9 hours ago, stoner said:

what set this off. clear intent here. obviously buddy had some issues needing dealt with. 

Not necessarily intent if he was that drunk . Confused and drunk does not make for good driving.  I know someone who smashed his car reversing into a wall when he was meaning to go forward. 
Still, no excuse, he will  get what he deserves . Shame he wasn’t taken off the road before being “ habitually drunk”.

29 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

the fact that all you can do is quote a dictionary shows that you are just not up to debating this topic. Just like on other threads your thinking is below par.

heres's other definition

"Simply put, an immigrant is a person living in a country other than that of his or her birth. No matter if that person has taken the citizenship of the destination country, served in its military, married a native, or has another status—he or she will forever be an international migrant."

The problem is that racists have immigrants and when they realise they are one too they do anything to pretend they aren't.

As far as "permanently" as part of a definition it is just daft s no-one can predict the future. By your definition, If you die in Thailand then you have to redefine yourself as an immigrant post mortem?

"the arrogance of foreigners in Thailand - they are <deleted> drivers yet think it is the others - how bad can you get"?.................  This was your first reply. It show's prejudice, and racism. Your comment on foreigners, shows you are Thai, or at least Asian. I am not prejudiced in any form, having a Thai ex wife, a Thai girlfriend, and a half Thai child. Sticking up for Thais is one thing. Sticking up for people just because they are Thai, and are doing wrong, is another thing entirely. Thai drivers , as far as many, have proven themselves as dangerous, incompetent, arrogant and inconsiderate, as far as observation from myself and many others, and the stats about fatal roads deaths have proven. A lot of people thought Hitler, Putin, Pol Pot and just about every other narcissistic leader, were trying to help the public. History shows different. This is from your last post.............................." the fact that all you can do is quote a dictionary shows that you are just not up to debating this topic. Just like on other threads your thinking is below par"

heres's other definition

"Simply put, an immigrant is a person living in a country other than that of his or her birth. No matter if that person has taken the citizenship of the destination country, served in its military, married a native, or has another status—he or she will forever be an international migrant."....................................You quoted a dictionary, just like you said he did. You've said my reading and comprehension skills weren't good, yet your grammar is atrocious. Debating if one is an immigrant or non immigrant is a waste of time. Who cares? This topic is about a foreigner that, drunkenly it seems, made a fatal mistake that killed others. he should be punished JUST like Thais are that kill others while driving under the influence, period..

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

He’s got a history! Stupid blok!

I liked to see a eye for a eye !

Punishment should be the same as what happened to the victims! Heinous act deserves the same back, me thinks!

Edited by riclag

There are no reliable statistics and data to understand anything about road rage , inebriated, bad driving, nationality, age etc  . What we do know is that Thailand is high up on the list of the most dangerous countries to drive in !  Fatal accidents all day everyday. It’s become the norm. 
Then one day it’s a foreigner and everyone goes ballistic.  Until the government and police force do a crackdown on speed , confiscate the cars, heavy fines , ban children driving, cameras on every main road, have buses/ trucks under hard scrutiny, this massacre will go on forever. 

10 hours ago, robblok said:

I wonder if someone is going to defend him.

All people who are high or drunk should be punished extra harsh when getting into accidents. This is unacceptable. First hitting people then fleeying.. being drunk. I would not want to be him at his age jail could mean his end. Not that i mind if the things stated in this article are factual. 

If he is always drunk often driving on wrong side of road ect ect prior to this accident was he always "lucky" never to have been caught by police? Or did he keep tea money ready? If so they did him no favours as his " luck" just ran out today he will be wishing he was punished properly earlier 

4 minutes ago, Deli said:

If the average Somchai does the same, ther's a little outcry, maybe. If a foreigner does the same it's a HUGE thing. Don't wanna say that it's nothing but shouldn't they be treated all equally ?

People are killed on Thai roads every day.  The Thai news bulletins and Thai social media are full of it.  Perhaps the outcry you refer to is on this Forum which is understandable when a foreigner is involved.

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

I was agreeing with you ‘ya silly bumder’.... and you still want argue to state the very same !!.. 

Geez... some people !!!... 

And.. if you want to debate this ’topic’, then debate this topic not the semantics of word ‘immigrant’ which as I wrote, is utterly moot.   

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Any single one of us who are not Thai yet live long term in Thailand can accurately be considered immigrations, equally so we could be termed residents, expats etc etc... the

I'm Thai yet still am immigrant, resiident and expat. 

I’m not so sure, you are ‘naturalised’ ergo you are a citizen, no ???

You have a Thai Passport and citizenship ? or Permanent residency ?

(one makes you a citizen, the other still an immigrant)...

Anyway... All off topic.. 

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

Quite a daft response Thunglom, arguing semantics rather than a point thus missing the point...  using your logic everyone dies, so no one is permanent.. so.....  ???

... mind numbingly flawed logic....   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:
12 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Obviously a dedicated student of Thainess.

You don't know what thainess is, so don't show your ignorance. 

Thainess is taught at schools. 

In this case I think he means ‘gets into a car, kills someone, then tries to escape creating further chaos’.....   

... the implication being that this behaviour is ‘common’ in Thailand and thus a specific characteristic of ‘being Thai’.. ergo - Thainess. 

Read enough Thai’s news and one would suspect ‘having an accident, killing someone and escaping’ is everyday behaviour... its not of course, but sadly these events are more common here in Thailand than many of our home nations, whether committed by a foreigner or a Thai person, because the absence of effective law enforcement enables those who would behave with such disregards for others to continue to do so. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Psychout said:

Really well-written article. Author provides not only details about the accident and police observations about the driver, but background information about the driver from residents ... Thanks to the author for your thoroughness.

The author was a Thai Daily News journalist, I'm sure that he will appreciate your appreciation of his thoroughness.