Tuk-Tuk driver fined and sent for attitude adjustment training after ripping off tourist

webfact

I’m don’t want to defend the TukTuk driver because his actions were terrible. 

However, the videos highlights that the Singporean couple had agreed a fare of 150 baht to go from Siam (Paragon) to Chong Nonsi (4.4km / approx 15 min) the Singaporean actually directed the driver to Surasak which is 2 stops further on the MRT (a further 1.2km / 7 mins). 

The TukTuk driver is arguing that they should pay extra for this extra distance as the agree fair was to a closer destination. He feels cheated. The Singaporean is arguing that 150 baht is a good enough fare for the journey.

IMO - if I understand the Thai language clearly enough between all the F$%k You’s...    the TukTuk driver has a fair point.

-------

In the article is says from Central World - the TukTuk driver in the video mentions Paragon. 

I didnt here anywhere in the video that the fee of 300 baht was paid or asked for... just the argument that 150 was the agreed price to Chong Nonsi and Surasak is further. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Instead of messaging the Singaporean Embassy to grovel about the reputation why not do the usual get a film crew, bring a bouquet of flowers make the Tuk Tuk driver present it to the tourists with a wai.

Its far more effective when a TukTuk driver finds and returns 100,000 baht in cash that a ‘tourist accidentally left in the TukTuk’...   expect that story at some point in the next 2-3 days... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, warrima said:

Really doesn't take long till their old habits kick back in again. Less than a year ago was the hard luck stories of only getting one fare a day.

2 years more of frustration and anger to bubble to the surface yet.

This is just a small beginning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is there a law against blatant overcharging?

If not, then it's time to create such law - and enforce it.

All the time politicians talk about the reputation of Thailand. Yes, this is a big part of that "reputation". Fix it! 

" Yes, this is a big part of that "reputation". Fix it! "

Haha, ...and then you woke up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m don’t want to defend the TukTuk driver because his actions were terrible. 

However, the videos highlights that the Singporean couple had agreed a fare of 150 baht to go from Siam (Paragon) to Chong Nonsi (4.4km / approx 15 min) the Singaporean actually directed the driver to Surasak which is 2 stops further on the MRT (a further 1.2km / 7 mins). 

The TukTuk driver is arguing that they should pay extra for this extra distance as the agree fair was to a closer destination. He feels cheated. The Singaporean is arguing that 150 baht is a good enough fare for the journey.

IMO - if I understand the Thai language clearly enough between all the F$%k You’s...    the TukTuk driver has a fair point.

-------

In the article is says from Central World - the TukTuk driver in the video mentions Paragon. 

I didnt here anywhere in the video that the fee of 300 baht was paid or asked for... just the argument that 150 was the agreed price to Chong Nonsi and Surasak is further. 

But less than 100 baht in a taxi!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, proton said:

But less than 100 baht in a taxi!

Irrelevant.. TukTuks have always been more expensive than a taxi.

Tourists take TukTuks or very local locals who get a basement rate. 

If a Price of 150 baht is agreed from A-B, thats the agreement. 

If B changes to C, that agreement has been changed. 

If the TukTuk driver meant 150 baht each (the same stunt they used to pull in the Phuket) then the TukTuk driver is a scam-artist. 

In this case it seems the Singaporean state his destination accurately but still expected to pay the shorter distance. 

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

had agreed a price of 150-160 baht to go from Central World to Surasak.

A little over halfway to their destination at Chong Nonsri the tuk-tuk driver demanded 300 baht, causing the argument.

NO, no, u'sa not understand , is 160 each

A little over halfway to their destination... 

The TukTuk driver was adamant that the fare was to Chong Nonri - once there the passengers wanted to go to Surasak.

There was some stellar miscommunication - Either the TukTuk driver deliberately misunderstanding the singaporeans, or the Singaporeans getting the name of their destination wrong. 

More to the story perhaps - did they show Surasak BTS on the Map and the TukTuk Driver assumed Chong Nongsi (not being able to read the map correctly)... Or the otherway round ???

Many years ago in the early 1960s when I was a British soldier in the island state, I remember having many a "ding-dong" with the local taxi drivers trying to get them to use their meters. That was in the days when all Singaporeans knew my name, "John".

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

So the TAT crawls up the Singapore Embassy's a s s in the hopes of quashing the story in Singapore. How about apologizing to the actual victims and banning the Tuk Tuk driver. Ripoff merchants are in every society, deal with it honestly and move on.

But, but, but he's been given attitude adjustment training instead of an inactive post! I agree with you however - he should be banned to set an example that such behaviour will not be tolerated from someone who is providing a service to that most precious of commodities - TOURISTS! 

1 hour ago, Jack Cook said:

Why bother with a noisy uncomfortable tuk tuk piloted by a maniac. Tourists are always going to pay more regardless. 300bht $12 why would you even waste time complaining 

Because you were being cheated and then abused, perhaps. It seems that you would just swallow it, which is exactly how and why these rip-off people exist. They probably try it on all the time and most just brush off their ill-treatment, say nothing but then return home and tell everyone they know and both they and their friends and family cross the country off their list of places to visit. Singaporeans are used to higher standards and don't put up with <deleted>.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

This would never happen in Singapore , because they have laws that are enforced ,

regards worgeordie

And great that they posted it on the Singapore site where the defamation laws are realistic. What has happened to the land of smile that I used to know, so sad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lujanit said:

IMHO Tuk Tuk drivers are worse than taxi drivers.  They rarely have a meter and quote an excessive price to anyone who looks like a tourist.  Added to that Tuk Tuks are as uncomfortable as sh!t if you are tall.  I avoid them.

Reminds me of a time when I used one many years ago in Phuket, asked how much from the bottom of Bangla Road to Safari outdoor disco, this was about 11pm, Safari disco was up the mountain and the fare quoted was 200 baht, all good, got in.

When we finished at 3-4 in the morning, asked the tuk tuk driver outside how much to Bangla Road, 300 baht I was quoted, and I said but I paid 200 baht to get here, yes, but now, not many tuk tuk, oh, I see, thanks but no thanks, I will take a morning walk back thanks, ok, ok, 200 baht he said, I said no thanks and walk off, down the hill got the girl on a motorbike taxi and one for me to our destination 20 baht each.

Never took a tuk tuk again, same as taxi's, don't want to put on metre, then you can be vacant for all I care, I find it cheaper these days to hire a car when in Phuket, saves me the 800 baht from the airport to and from, and it's worth it for me as I don't have to pay for tuk tuk's or taxi's.

They are their own worst enemies the lot of them IMO.

The above said, I have to be fair, caught a cab outside my hotel one night to Bangla Road and the guy didn't have the change for the agreed 200 baht, he said tomorrow same time you see me, ok I said, and I went to him outside the hotel at the same time and paid him his 200 baht, he didn't know me from a bar of soap, or my room number.

12 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

I think there is more to this story than has been revealed. I would not pass judgement so fast, despite attempts to sweep it under the carpet for diplomatic reasons. Possibly just a communication problem we know all too well.

There is more to the story... 

The TukTuk driver is complaining that he Singaporean only want to go from Paragon to Chong Nonsi...   at Chong Nonsi the tourist wanted to go further to Surasak... (and additional 1.2km to the 4.4km already driven). 

There was a communication problem...  the Singaporean thinking the TukTuk driver was pulling a fast one, the TukTuk driver getting angry because the Singaporean will not pay him for the additional distance. 

Of course - the whole issue and is publicised through an underlying distrust that the TukTuk driver will attempt to scam a tourist... 

....  Could it be that this video is like one of those published by those moronic ‘first amendment auditors’ ??? i.e. where people stand outside police stations or businesses and deliberately trigger others working there for online content. 

9 hours ago, lujanit said:

IMHO Tuk Tuk drivers are worse than taxi drivers.  They rarely have a meter and quote an excessive price to anyone who looks like a tourist.  Added to that Tuk Tuks are as uncomfortable as sh!t if you are tall.  I avoid them.

Also, the fares they quote to prospective customers is often more than an air-conditioned metered taxi fare for the same journey.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

So the TAT crawls up the Singapore Embassy's a s s in the hopes of quashing the story in Singapore. How about apologizing to the actual victims and banning the Tuk Tuk driver. Ripoff merchants are in every society, deal with it honestly and move on.

If the "Victims" ever dare to return to Bangkok they will be slapped with a defamation lawsuit......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

tuk-tuk driver demanded 300 baht, causing the argument.

But not limited to tuk-tuk drivers. We have experienced this "type" of behaviors even among construction workers when they find the fact that working for a farang, not Thai. 
4 different cases during one year. Either demanded more money or damaging construction material as showing unhappiness. Even though they agreed and accepted the job at the beginning. Amazing "type".

• Like 1