A Heads Up - Two Browsers are better than one.

Daffy D

unfortunately having [a minimum of] two browsers installed is a necessity in a modern web because monkeys seem to have to use the most latest newest freshest javascript framework or a feature that works only in the latest Chrome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fdsa said:

I haven't been send any unsolicited mail in the years I've been using it.   You don't think that all the other browsers are not dong anything that link suggests Brave is doing, do you?

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

unfortunately having [a minimum of] two browsers installed is a necessity in a modern web because monkeys seem to have to use the most latest newest freshest javascript framework or a feature that works only in the latest Chrome.

Agreed! For that reason I guess most of us (myself included) use Google Chrome as our 'go to' browser. I only have that installed, but keep browser installation files (.exe, .deb, .rpm) in download folder, data partition and on external hard drive. Fortunately, have never had a problem of lost/corrupted Google bookmarks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Without a backup browser and access to the Internet you will be well and truly stuffed in fixing any problem, even contacting this site for help would not be possible :sad:

Edge. Who'da thunk? Friend of mine had this problem recently. I suspected he crashed his Edge by neglecting to close any tabs for months. "Repair" in the Apps and Features didn't help, though it claims it's reinstalling the browser.

However, I'd made an image of his system using Macrium Reflect. Mounted the image, restored the old profile folder. No joy! What fixed the problem was also restoring the old program file folders. File corruption, unlikely but possible I guess. Probably some extra configuration files there--not worth looking into in detail. Bad, bad M'soft!

Yeah, having an image or clone around can be quite handy.

That said, it's well to have another browser installed. I have several. However, this means configuring the other browser as well, unless the profiles are very compatible and can be copied over. For those of us who add extensions and themes, that is.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Browser Market Share Worldwide - August 2022

Chrome 65.52%

Safari 18.78%

Edge 4.29%

Firefox 3.15%

Samsung Internet 2.85%

Opera 2.2%

Yes not disputing the overall numbers.

However there are a lot of sheep in the world........????

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, BigStar said:

However, I'd made an image of his system using Macrium Reflect. Mounted the image, restored the old profile folder.

File corruption, unlikely but possible I guess. Probably some extra configuration files there--not worth looking into in detail. Bad, bad M'soft!

I did several repair and reinstall of Edge but nothing worked.

I also did a restore of an earlier image using Macrium Reflect and it seemed to work.

Unfortunately my joy was short lived as after a restart Edge had again disappeared :sad:  

Realizing that Edge actually worked briefly after a system reinstall I again used the earlier Macrium Reflect image and this time copied  the Bookmarks and Favorites over to Chrome before Edge disappeared again, so managed to save at least those.

In desperation I also tried a "Upgrade Install" where you use the original installation disk to Reinstall the whole system without loosing any of the files folders and settings.

That didn't work either "You are trying to install an older system" or something like that. :sad:

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 8:21 AM, Daffy D said:

The point of this post, as in the title, is a heads up for those with only one computer to install a second browser so you will have access to the internet should you main browser fail

Windows users might find an old version if IE already lurking somewhere which could be used.

• Like 1

It's good to have a backup for everything in case it doesn't work. That goes for your browser but also your internet connection, your device itself, your bank account, your wife... wait what? ????

Edited by eisfeld

10 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

firefox is very flaky these days it keeps crashing for no reason

I haven't had that problem although one of the most recent updates did create a storm of protest. They added a new "feature" that, when you magnified the text size, also magnified the menu and address bar sizes. Fortunately, there is a work around but Firefox can't afford mistakes like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Chrome user, since use G & Andoid everywhere.  Never used IE / Edge ever since alternatives were available.

Same here. Google Chrome is a system APP on Android hence cannot be uninstalled. Been hearing about Google not being trustworthy (Microsoft being a sinister organisation etc.) for years. We use it because it works and it works well. No point in 'doubling up'.

• Like 1

"Holy Smoke Batman, Windows Edge has returned"

So I got my new main browser "Chrome" and secondary "Firefox" all set up with tabs, bookmarks and favorites.

Firefox would not install properly because of

missing VCRUNTIME140_1.dll but was OK after I downloaded and installed that file.

Thought I might give Edge another try, maybe it too was missing the "VCRUNTIME140_1.dll" file, no such luck.

With the thought that 3 Browsers are better than 2 had a look around and decided to install "Vivaldi" as the third option.

No particular reason for that choice I'd not heard of "Vivaldi" and was not interested in any of it's features, just wanted something that would get me on line in an emergency.

During "Vivaldi" installation was asked if I wanted to add Edge Bookmarks and Favorites. Yea! sure why not, didn't get an error message so something seemed to work.

Didn't like the feel of "Vivaldi" so decided to uninstall and as the "Vivaldi" page disappeared there was a "Microsoft Edge has been updated, Try it now" page, :unsure:

Sure why not, and with one click there was Edge in all its glory just as when it disappeared with icon on the taskbar and all my tabs, settings and favorites where they all should be.

To check Edge had really returned I performed a computer restart and to be more certain a complete shut down for about 15 minutes before starting up again, so it does seem that Edge is here to stay. :thumbsup:  

Not sure what brought Edge back to life. It was obviously lurking somewhere on the system, possibly just missing a simple line of code that came with "Vivaldi", anyway happy ducky now.

:smile::smile::smile:

• Like 2

Firefox forever.

Actually, on phone and PC I use Chrome for work and FF for personal.

Brave is pretty solid, Vivaldi has its merits but the sync on Firefox plus it's dedication to security - Firefox. No love for MSFT even after it choked so badly it adopted Chromium fork.

My main dislike of Vivaldi is it's stupid name. How overblown.

Tor is built on FF

When I retire I'll dump Chrome forever. I'm looking to leave Gmail and Gapps just no free alternative. I don't mind paying a bit just not with my credit card so it's gotta be free.

Edited by BonMot
  • Love It 1

23 minutes ago, topt said:

What exactly, in that suite, can you not find an alternative for?

Mainly Gmail. I've been on Gmail since inception. I'll move off it when I retire. Storage is ez enough to find these days. I need forms on rare occasion.

I have Office 2019 but detest MSFT spy network just as much as Google. I loathe onedrive and pretty much all their apps after Word/Excel.

Now I'm complaining... Windows 11 is rubbish. It's just a way for MSFT to get a better view of your personal data. Each user needs an account lol. Account for their stupid store. Ridiculous.

Edited by BonMot

7 minutes ago, BonMot said:

I have Office 2019 but detest MSFT spy network just as much as Google. I loathe onedrive and pretty much all their apps after Word/Excel.

Still using 2007..........:whistling:

Win 10, local sign in and One Drive is obliterated as much as I can. I tried Linux and will probably go back to it rather than move to 11.