Stray dogs caught after chasing after tourists and residents in Phuket

webfact

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Cats dont generally attack people and they do control to some extent the rats and mice. Maybe not a good idea to cull the cats unless you want rat infestations.

They do sometimes bite. I've had two guests bitten by stray cats and they have to go through the same set of injections as you do for a dog bite.

However I do agree with your point about vermin control, though a friendly python would work as well????

11 minutes ago, madmitch said:

They do sometimes bite. I've had two guests bitten by stray cats and they have to go through the same set of injections as you do for a dog bite.

However I do agree with your point about vermin control, though a friendly python would work as well????

I wont say you are wrong as I am sure you are not but what was the circumstances when a cat bit? A snake is a good way of keeping vermin down.

3 hours ago, 2long said:

The article says the stray dogs were furious, which is impossible.

As I have written many times before, dogs are simple creatures that need to be stood up to and never run away from. They will always chase if you run, but never attack furiously without reason.

If only more humans understood 'man's best friend' because they're easily dealt with.

Luckily the thumbs down emoji has been disabled, because I'm expecting a backlash from dog haters. ????????

Dogs are pack animals, that is their roots, man has trained them, same as horses to be controlled, friendly.

Dogs who have never been controlled and grow up in a pack environment to survive, can be dangerous and not trusted....

I have a big dog, with no problems......????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, 2long said:

As I have written many times before, dogs are simple creatures that need to be stood up to and never run away from. They will always chase if you run, but never attack furiously without reason.

If only more humans understood 'man's best friend' because they're easily dealt with.

Luckily the thumbs down emoji has been disabled, because I'm expecting a backlash from dog haters. ????????

I am not a dog hater. I am a hater of lazy irresponsible dog owners who, while they feed the dogs, mostly, they then ignore the dogs and let them run free everywhere. If there is an accident where somebody is injured, or a dog injured or killed, NOBODY admits yo ownership of the dog. At best, the dog dies, at worst it is left to recover on its own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

First of all, I recommended they be relocated somewhere they would not be thought to be a problem.

But more fundamental is the fact that killing something because you think it's a problem is just not an acceptable thing to do. 

So you would be willing to accept ALL the hundreds and thousands of dogs at your place. 

If not then please come up with a reasonable plan where to relocate all these stray dogs so that they will not be a nuisance to anybody.

Also please explain exactly who will be responsible for homing them, feeding them, vets bills etc for hundreds of thousands and potentially millions of stray dogs across the whole of Thailand.

Who will be responsible for cleating up tons of dog <deleted> daily, and where will they put it so that it doesn't spoil local water sources.

Simply saying relocate them somewhere else is a cop out. A NIMBY excuse

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

I don't live in a town. I live on about 16 rai in the mountains. I now have 14 dogs, all who were abandoned along the mountain road which runs past our property.

These three dogs would be welcome here. 

Being popular is not my main concern.

But 3 stray dogs doesn't even scratch the surface of the soi dog problem, which is millions of stray dogs across the whole of the country.

You are taking a microscopic view of the problem when in reality is is massive as so many posters have said on this thread.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, redwhiteandblue said:

Why is it that we as humans feel that we need to rid the world of animals. Surely they have as much right to be here as us.

You don't see the logic in getting rid of soi dogs that attack people walking past, bite kids on bikes and chase people,  cr_p everywhere.  No, sorry ..... 

if the people that feed them like doing that then take them away from the soi's where they attack kids,   take them far away and house them on 5 rai or whatever then all the Thai do-gooders that feed them can look after them as they were the one's who encouraged breeding by feeding them continuously.    You see, some folks cause the problem but don't want any part of the problem.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So you would be willing to accept ALL the hundreds and thousands of dogs at your place. 

If not then please come up with a reasonable plan where to relocate all these stray dogs so that they will not be a nuisance to anybody.

Also please explain exactly who will be responsible for homing them, feeding them, vets bills etc for hundreds of thousands and potentially millions of stray dogs across the whole of Thailand.

Who will be responsible for cleating up tons of dog <deleted> daily, and where will they put it so that it doesn't spoil local water sources.

Simply saying relocate them somewhere else is a cop out. A NIMBY excuse

No, I couldn't care for thousands of dogs.

I've indicated a reasonable plan would be to relocate them to somewhere where they would not be considered a nuisance. 

The place to which they are relocated would provide them with shelter, feed them, and pay for any veterinary expenses they incur. 

The people who own or use property where the dogs defecate should be responsible for cleaning it up, if that's what they think should be done.

Relocating them is a cop out? What do you call killing them, a solution? 

What you, and many others, fail to own up to is WE (humans) CREATED this "problem" by bringing all these dogs here in the first place, and also by expecting our living conditions to be free from all other forms of life. WE, in fact, are the problem, not these dogs, or the snakes, or the mice, or any other of the animals and plants that we should expect to SHARE this Earth with.

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But 3 stray dogs doesn't even scratch the surface of the soi dog problem, which is millions of stray dogs across the whole of the country.

You are taking a microscopic view of the problem when in reality is is massive as so many posters have said on this thread.

I addressed this in my last response to you, so I won't repeat all that here. It is YOU that is taking a microsopic view of the problem, and it is through a microscope that is only viewed from a human perspective. Stray dogs are just one, tiny part of the problem Human's continuing destruction of the Earth's biosphere is the macroscopic neutral view of whole problem. We (humans) are a cancer on this planet. Stray dogs are just a small, almost imperceptible symtom of that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, billsmart said:

I've indicated a reasonable plan would be to relocate them to somewhere where they would not be considered a nuisance. 

The place to which they are relocated would provide them with shelter, feed them, and pay for any veterinary expenses they incur. 

The people who own or use property where the dogs defecate should be responsible for cleaning it up, if that's what they think should be done.

What you, and many others, fail to own up to is WE (humans) CREATED this "problem" by bringing all these dogs here in the first place, and also by expecting our living conditions to be free from all other forms of life. WE, in fact, are the problem, not these dogs, or the snakes, or the mice, or any other of the animals and plants that we should expect to SHARE this Earth with.

Actually "WE" that is me didn't bring any dogs here, neither did my Thai wife. Like you we did our bit looking after 3 dogs on her 15 rai, that multiplied and died off. None of our dogs were inside dogs, they all lived outside.

As we got older we realised that we couldn't look after the dogs properly (I am 78 now) so we got rid of them to other homes over 10 years ago.

To properly secure 15 rai will take a 2 metre high wall 1.6 km long with a proper front gate and a couple of side gates, and the cost will be horrendous.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 2long said:

No backlash from me. I entirely agree with you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Actually "WE" that is me didn't bring any dogs here, neither did my Thai wife. Like you we did our bit looking after 3 dogs on her 15 rai, that multiplied and died off. None of our dogs were inside dogs, they all lived outside.

As we got older we realised that we couldn't look after the dogs properly (I am 78 now) so we got rid of them to other homes over 10 years ago.

To properly secure 15 rai will take a 2 metre high wall 1.6 km long with a proper front gate and a couple of side gates, and the cost will be horrendous.

We have 10 dogs and six cats secured in precisely this way. The dogs only get out when I occasionally walk them at 4am.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I addressed this in my last response to you, so I won't repeat all that here. It is YOU that is taking a microsopic view of the problem, and it is through a microscope that is only viewed from a human perspective. Stray dogs are just one, tiny part of the problem Human's continuing destruction of the Earth's biosphere is the macroscopic neutral view of whole problem. We (humans) are a cancer on this planet. Stray dogs are just a small, almost imperceptible symtom of that. 

It is NOT a microscopic view here. It is reality and every road you travel, every village you pass through, in Thailand has the same problem. It will not go away and every stray dog that is fed, every stray dog that is spayed or snipped contributes to the problem.

There are very few dog owners in Thailand who even make any effort to look after dogs, so the problem multiplies to add to your destruction of the environment.

Get rid of the soi dogs and that will be a very small part of the problem cleared. Leave them to breed and multiply and the problem grows.

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

We have 10 dogs and six cats secured in precisely this way. The dogs only get out when I occasionally walk them at 4am.

Good for you. You have done tour bit, Bills Smart has done his bit with his dogs, I have done my bit with no dogs.

However that doesn't fix the big problem of soi dogs. There are literally millions of them and sadly for the dogs, nobody wants them.

Many Thais believe that they are doing their bit for Buddhism by simply feeding the dogs and walking away. In fact they are part of the problem too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I didn't mean to refer to YOU personally. WE means HUMANS, our species. WE, both Thai and foreigners, brought the majority of these dogs here. There are some native wild dogs, but most of them are gone now. 

I didn't bring any dogs with me to Thailand when I came either. My Thai wife and i have been looking after a large number of dogs ever I have lived on this property in the mountains, which has been about 15 years now. I think this number, 14, is now the most we've ever had. All our neighbors have dogs also, but usually no more than two or three.

I am 76, so I don't know how I'll be two years from now when I'm 78, but I don't expect my attitude about the dogs will change.  

1 minute ago, Boomer6969 said:

Well if you truly believe that there is only one course of action. But I'd appreciate you initiate your action with yourself.

My course of action is described in the last section of my recent book on this subject (humankind's destruction of the Earth's environment, not soi dogs).  It is told in an analogy called The Starfish Story. I'd encourage you to read the story here: The Starfish Story – Original Story by: Loren Eisley - Ataturk Society of America

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree... WE (humans) CREATED this “problem”... not so much by bringing all these dogs here in the first place...  we didn’t ‘bring’ so many, what we failed to do was control their numbers.

Thus, as we (humans) CREATED this “problem”, surely it is also up to us to resolve this problem and prevent tomorrows generations of hundreds of thousands of animals from suffering by dealing with the issue today.

No one likes the solutions because there are no easy solutions - sometimes we need to rely on people to make hard choices. 

And no... I do not believe we need to share our town, city and village streets with stray dogs. 

Neither do I believe we should share our town, city and village streets with rats, or monitor-lizards or wild elephants... 

I do not believe we should share our town, city and village streets with over-grown weeds and uncontrolled growth of plants. 

‘We’... you and I Bill, have a different understanding of share....  You seem to believe living in co-existence with other species means ‘doing nothing’... I believe differently, that for the benefit of not only ourselves, but these other species and living things we need to manage them, and of course ourselves, intelligently.

Allowing stray dogs to run free and wild, procreating and increasing their numbers such that they become pests and ensure further suffering primarily as a result of their excessive numbers is not managing them intelligently - its allowing them to run amok, this favours neither species. 

Yes, we do have a different understanding of the word "share."

Your one phrase, "we need to manage them" tells me all about you I need to know.

You don't want to "share." You want to "dominate" and "manage" other forms of life, and the environment as whole, to provide you with comfort. You, IMO, have no regard for all the other life on this planet and are hiding your head in the sand regarding the long-term effect of that approach.

You, and others like you, IMO, ARE the problem. 

8 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Couldn't agree more, don't forget the stray cats also way too many of them.

Yes, but the stray cats are slightly less vicious.

I love, a loving dog, but the strays that turn feral/vicious/dangerous need to be eliminated.

52 minutes ago, billsmart said:

The Thai's that feed them created the problem.