60-70% Of Thais Have Been Infected With Covid: Expert

webfact

Virologist claims 70 percent of Thais may have been infected with COVID-19

image.jpeg

Up to 70% of the population of Thailand may have been infected with COVID-19, as most cases have not been officially recorded because they were asymptomatic or had only mild symptoms, according to Dr. Yong Poovorawan, head of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine at Chulalongkorn University.

He said that the estimated infection rate is based on the assessments of blood tests conducted so far, adding that the Omicron variant has spread widely in the past several months, but most of people did not report their infections to health authorities because they had no or only mild symptoms and only those admitted for treatment at hospitals have been recorded.

He said, however, that the Disease Control Department, with funding from the Health Systems Research Institute (HSRI), will conduct an extensive survey to determine the extent of COVID-19 infection in the Thai population, using blood tests to find traces of infection or developed resistance through anti-nucleocapsid and anti-spike IgG tests.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/virologist-claims-70-percent-of-thais-may-have-been-infected-with-covid-19/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

Is it getting to the point of heard immunity

Probably not, as the virus mutates, just like we still haven't reached herd immunity for cold and flu...:whistling:

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

So the official figures were  nonsense lowball figures as many people alluded to. The citizens were locked down, real infection rates ignored or hidden, the government spinning lies about how well Thailand has reacted to the pandemic in comparison to the rest of the world. 

Maybe Thais will finally relinquish the face mask ???? and get on with smiling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While I know people that have had Covid here it is nowhere near 70% of them.

'may have' seems to be the key words here.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Up to 70% of the population of Thailand may have been infected with COVID-19

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

While I know people that have had Covid here it is nowhere near 70% of them.

'may have' seems to be the key words here.

Among members of my family, my wife's friends and the few people I know it's close to 100%. My wife and I are almost the only people we know who haven't had it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Is it getting to the point of heard immunity

No - for herd immunity to work, it requires that immunity - whether naturally or vaccine-acquired, stop transmission somewhere around 95% of the time (or more). This is known as sterilizing immunity.

As has become glaringly obvious however, neither having CoVid-19 nor being vaccinated against it, gives rise to sterilizing immunity.

As Khunper pointed out, it is much more likely to be like colds and flu where relatively large proportions of the population will get infected every year - and possibly even several times a year. 

Any chance of herd immunity started to recede with the Delta variant, and the chances have only diminished further with subsequent variants.   

Now, with the increased transmissibility and immune evasiveness of  Omicron and especially the BA.4 and BA.5 variants, the prospect of herd immunity is really only a distant memory.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

In the cooler months at the turn of the year a lot of the people that I know contracted covid.

The official figures didn't reflect this upsurge in cases at all.

I think that 60-70% is most likely a reasonable figure.

The official figure of 6% of the population is complete hogwash!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr. Yong Phuworawan, the head of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, said Covid infection is still widespread in the country and it is not possible to work out the real tally of patients with or without symptoms with the daily reported cases being lower than the actual total. 

Why would he want to work out the "real tally of patients" when it appears that most of them now have mild or no symptoms? What's the point?

Concentrating on healing the sick would be a better strategy.