Thai restaurant praised for honesty - customer sought after he overpaid by TEN TIMES

webfact

I guess its fairly easy to do when typing out the number then not double-checking the amount - complacency will naturally develop when cashless payment is the norm.

Props to the restaurant for attempting to contact the customer. 

Could they not also just contact the Bank to refund the 3978 baht to the customers account ?

• Like 1

It's not the customers mistake ... when has a restaurant ever let you type in your own amount? The Cashier would have typed the amount and the customer probably did not notice the extra 0 when entering the PIN.

Still ... good on the restaurant for trying to fix it.

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

so now they are using the restaurants instead of the typical honest cab/taxi drivers who use to return bags full of cash

I think this restaurant owner is being up front and honest, and wishes to keep his reputation in good order.

Kudos to the owner.

• Like 2

Love to hear these stories. There is good and bad in all cultures in all countries. I lost my phone in a train in BKK. The lady who found it answered the phone, caught a taxi quite a distance, returned the phone and flatly refused to take a reward or compensation for the taxi trips. Lost my wallet in a clothes store only a few minutes later hearing someone running behind me yelling "Sir" "Sir" My wallet and substantial cash was handed to me Again the young store person refused any reward. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I guess its fairly easy to do when typing out the number then not double-checking the amount - complacency will naturally develop when cashless payment is the norm.

Happened to me, I received a random 'small' deposit into my account.... soon after I am getting calls from someone crying over the phone in Thai and I had no idea what it was about, They talked to my wife and she dismissed them as scammers, until I told her, yes I had received the money. (Yes I sent it back!)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NaaKap said:

Love to hear these stories. There is good and bad in all cultures in all countries. I lost my phone in a train in BKK. The lady who found it answered the phone, caught a taxi quite a distance, returned the phone and flatly refused to take a reward or compensation for the taxi trips. Lost my wallet in a clothes store only a few minutes later hearing someone running behind me yelling "Sir" "Sir" My wallet and substantial cash was handed to me Again the young store person refused any reward. 

do you often lose things during the day.....    could be your memory is failing.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

I ordered food from a restaurant not long ago. And I payed by transfer to their account, after 15 minutes I get a Line Message telling me that my wife had payed already, They transferred back the payment in a few minutes.

If they hadn't told us we probably never would have thought about it.

Edited by Eaglekott
  • Like 1

I once had a customer who paid me a huge amount twice, by mistake. 

Like any NORMAL DECENT person I of course contacted the customer and paid them back, as soon as I found out. It’s NORMAL and happens all the time in business all around the world.

I Thailand it is however obviously not normal, which make stories like this a kind of sensation. The restaurant-owner becomes a “hero” for not stealing. What a screwed up way of thinking.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, khunpa said:

I once had a customer who paid me a huge amount twice, by mistake. 

Like any NORMAL DECENT person I of course contacted the customer and paid them back, as soon as I found out. It’s NORMAL and happens all the time in business all around the world.

I Thailand it is however obviously not normal, which make stories like this a kind of sensation. The restaurant-owner becomes a “hero” for not stealing. What a screwed up way of thinking.

A very valid point...  this is perhaps a testament to the normal exceptions of society and its moral standards that someone ‘not stealing’ makes the headlines !!!!  :whistling:

• Like 1