Nightlife - Where are all the street bars gone ?

Baron Samedi

Maybe the answer is here:

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the flowers gone?
Young girls have picked them everyone
Oh, when will they ever learn?

Where have all the young girls gone, long time passing?
Where have all the young girls gone, long time ago?
Where have all the young girls gone?
Gone for husbands everyone
Where have all the husbands gone, long time passing?
Where have all the husbands gone, long time ago?
Where have all the husbands gone?
Gone for soldiers everyone

Where have all the soldiers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the soldiers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the soldiers gone?
Gone to graveyards, everyone

Where have all the graveyards gone, long time passing?
Where have all the graveyards gone, long time ago?
Where have all the graveyards gone?
Gone to flowers, everyone

And for those who don't like the puritan PM - you can always go to somewhere with a PM/president more to your likings ????

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

These bars - which still exist, by the way - are allowed to operate long after bars that pay taxes and abide by the law are required to close. Now, I wonder who the street bars pay their 'taxes' to?

You mean you don't know?? Only they are not called taxes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

When I first came here in 1993 there was NO puritan PM. Since then there have been 3 military coups and the latest and current lot are the worst.

We expats have no say at all in who will be the PM. Neither do the Thai people.

The laws regarding early closing times were around well before the 90's, but all venues paid the fees and no one cares.

In 2001 Takain was elected and his then interior minister decided that the law must be followed to the letter, and that's when closing time between midnight and 1am was enforced. To be honest, I thought this minister won't live long with this decision, but nothing happened to him and the fact is that those closing times are still mostly enforced.

Sale of alcohol was always forbidden on Buddhist holidays, nothing new there. As I usually only drink outside, I am not certain, but pretty sure the ban on alcohol sale during certain hours of the days was here long before the last coup.

Your right - expats have no say who the pm, governments and MP's will be in any country they are staying as expats. But as expats they can simply move to any other place that suits them better

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Not sure where you guys are going but NANA between Sofitel and NANA plaza is very active with street bars, working girls and buds.

As to the area round term 21 sorry not sure I would think not muchinthe4 way of business there

the freelancers block the sidewalk outside the Westin Grande - there are so many....

• Like 1

There's 3 or 4 between Asoke and 23...  it's a bit dark in that area and methinks probably a waste of time.

Loved Asoke corner late 90's/early 2000's.  Bars on that corner block as well as lining the sidewalk.

Many drunken conversations were conducted whilst urin##ing in the horng nahm at the Shell garage.  I remember getting an infection (in my hand) from the length of barbed wire I raised (at the entrance to the driveway) whilst rushing to the horng nahm.

The Exchange Tower building across the road was just finished being built and we'd sit at one of the sidewalk bars and comment on the one light that was always turned on up at the 5th floor...  a security guard.  

Always in conversation at those sidewalk bars (early mornings) we'd always call the Exchange Tower the DAILY PLANET BUILDING.

I remember a girl who setup a bar along there by the name of Noona. She lived in Soi 22 and sadly a few years later she died from a stomach problem.

Every time I walk past INDULGE these days I always think of her pushing her trolley of bar stools/drinks etc to her position (to set up) on the sidewalk at that spot. 

Then there was Noi, with the large n*ms who had a bar in the back of her pickup parked in 23 right where Jasmine Court driveway is now.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 7:47 PM, Baron Samedi said:

Are street bars forbidden now or is it just Mr Covid who made them temporarily disappear ?

Less street food vendors as well between Cowboy and Nana compared to 5-10 years ago btw...

A shrinking customer base always has that affect.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

The laws regarding early closing times were around well before the 90's, but all venues paid the fees and no one cares.

In 2001 Takain was elected and his then interior minister decided that the law must be followed to the letter, and that's when closing time between midnight and 1am was enforced. To be honest, I thought this minister won't live long with this decision, but nothing happened to him and the fact is that those closing times are still mostly enforced.

Sale of alcohol was always forbidden on Buddhist holidays, nothing new there. As I usually only drink outside, I am not certain, but pretty sure the ban on alcohol sale during certain hours of the days was here long before the last coup.

Your right - expats have no say who the pm, governments and MP's will be in any country they are staying as expats. But as expats they can simply move to any other place that suits them better

Expats can, but can, and will the families sell up all they own, leave their families and friends behind to follow their husbands?

Some will and some won't.

If they don't want to leave, what should the husband do?

Wives and children are no longer goods and chattels, to be dragged about the world at their husbands beck and call.

Most husbands don't own the land and houses, business etc where they live. If the husband leaves he will necessarily travel lightly as he will own very little here in Thailand.

If you are from the UK and  married to a Thai, IIRC you will need £23,000 to get your Thai wife into the UK and she will need to pass English language tests at varying levels. You will also need £5,000 per Thai child unless the child has dual nationality.

You will also need accommodation to go to.

If you die within 5 years, your wife and Thai children will be deported back to Thailand. For dual nationality children I am not sure

Unless you already own a property in the UK the price of houses is well past the silly stage and into the ridiculous stage.

You may also need to pay the doctor and hospital bills for your wife and children and university fees, though I am not sure about ordinary schooling.

Is it still that simple?

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Expats can, but can, and will the families sell up all they own, leave their families and friends behind to follow their husbands?

Some will and some won't.

If they don't want to leave, what should the husband do?

Wives and children are no longer goods and chattels, to be dragged about the world at their husbands beck and call.

Most husbands don't own the land and houses, business etc where they live. If the husband leaves he will necessarily travel lightly as he will own very little here in Thailand.

If you are from the UK and  married to a Thai, IIRC you will need £23,000 to get your Thai wife into the UK and she will need to pass English language tests at varying levels. You will also need £5,000 per Thai child unless the child has dual nationality.

You will also need accommodation to go to.

If you die within 5 years, your wife and Thai children will be deported back to Thailand. For dual nationality children I am not sure

Unless you already own a property in the UK the price of houses is well past the silly stage and into the ridiculous stage.

You may also need to pay the doctor and hospital bills for your wife and children and university fees, though I am not sure about ordinary schooling.

Is it still that simple?

The husbands in your story left their families, friends, work and everything else to come here, didn't they?

And many of not most came here for to the simpler and cheaper living. So what's the point of complaining, especially about things that they can't change. When one decides to move away from their homeland to another place one should check all facts about the new place, maybe make a pro\con list and decide. Obviously those who came here came by choice, didn't they?

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2022 at 5:08 PM, LukKrueng said:

The husbands in your story left their families, friends, work and everything else to come here, didn't they?

And many of not most came here for to the simpler and cheaper living. So what's the point of complaining, especially about things that they can't change. When one decides to move away from their homeland to another place one should check all facts about the new place, maybe make a pro\con list and decide. Obviously those who came here came by choice, didn't they?

Well I first came here to work in 1993, then Qatar, the UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Egypt, Thailand, Indonesia, Thailand for 3 years, Sri Lanka and a few more countries as well.

In my 50 years of working life I lived and worked in 38 countries, a few of them as short as a month, some nearly 4 years. Some you cold take your wife and family to but that would depend on the company you work for, the position you hold, and the contract length.

Some companies your wife and family can come on holiday and several countries I didn't even want to go to myself.

One job I had an armed security guard with me as I left the hotel.

No I didn't take my wife with me as a lot depended on the contract length.

The problem with assuming that somebody just ups sticks and moves depends a lot on the work commitment and the company you work for as an expat.