Indian national files complaint to Pattaya Police after 6,600 USD in cash allegedly went missing from a hotel’s safe box in Pattaya

webfact

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

When you use one of those in-room safes it saves the cleaners routing through your bags ????

i have stayed in dozens if not a hundred or more hotels of all types in thailand over the years and have never had anything stolen by a maid....so maybe not paint all maids with "thief" brush.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sometimes I miss the old fashioned locker boxes at reception where you can bring your own locker.

Bring your own box is one idea... although I recall early Pattya days some places simply used the hotel safe, and you got an envelope to seal things into. One tale I recall, the nightshift guy did a runner with the lot! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

My thought too and my guess is he opened the safe for a "cash donation" to his guest and then been distracted.

There was a trick where a guest wanted her valuable jewelry putting in your safe, for safe keeping (sorry)... she would be looking over your shoulder while you opened it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

i have stayed in dozens if not a hundred or more hotels of all types in thailand over the years and have never had anything stolen by a maid....so maybe not paint all maids with "thief" brush.

Still recall a guy setting up a camera and posting a nice video of a maid pilfering.. she even had a friend helping as there were 2 of them in there.  I don't expect poorly paid maids are any more or less to be trusted than other groups. 

3 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

Unfortunately for those keyboard warriors, majority of visitors to pattaya these days appear to be indians!

Most of those punters who allege xenophobia here, continue to do the same against Russians, Indians, Chinese, or anybody else who does not belong to the clan! 

Isnt it legit to possess upto to $10,000 for international travel for most countries. We see regular allegations of insurance scams being the intent behind the claim of losses. Have we heard of any claims being paid out for these claims in Pattaya?

Several years back, i forgot my wallet in the business center of a major hotel chain, realized the mistake rushed back in less than 5 min (biz center to room on elevator and realized i forgot the wallet downstairs) and found it was gone. Hotel did a sham of investigation and 'couldn't' find it, as that area of the biz centre was not covered by cctv.... and of course ins claim was denied.

"Most of those punters who allege xenophobia here, continue to do the same against Russians, Indians, Chinese, or anybody else who does not belong to the clan!"

I don't think its xenophobia, its just it seems there is preponderance of Indians who seem to get things stolen, or at least reported stolen and end up on AN. Certainly others may have stuff stolen that we don't hear about?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Yes, i wonder why?

Just the same as sh!tting in the street and in the back of taxis, peeing on public transport, the behaviour in the "all you can eat" buffets all happen to be Chinese.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The victim, Vivek Singhal, told Pattaya officials that he was staying at the room of a hotel since October 5th but on the 7th, he found that his money in the safe box, worth US$6,600 or equivalent to about 250,000 Thai baht, was gone.

I hope he declared that when he entered the country and got written proof?

54 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

even if he did, i doubt he will get any compensation from the underwriters, unless he specifically disclosed the amount being carried or obtained underwriting for 'cash in transit'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

"Most of those punters who allege xenophobia here, continue to do the same against Russians, Indians, Chinese, or anybody else who does not belong to the clan!"

I don't think its xenophobia, its just it seems there is preponderance of Indians who seem to get things stolen, or at least reported stolen and end up on AN. Certainly others may have stuff stolen that we don't hear about?

Well, when those few races account for more than half the global population and Indians seem to be all over the place in pattaya these days, the incidents and reports would also be proportionately higher?   

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Just the same as sh!tting in the street and in the back of taxis, peeing on public transport, the behaviour in the "all you can eat" buffets all happen to be Chinese.

Not mandatory, unless the amount is above USD10,000.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If on the Visa network I expect they would.... they seem to like to use dollars as rates on Rupees are often not good.

Most of the ATM cards issued by banks in south asian countries can only be used in the country of issuance. india has quite stringent forex controls as is the case with thailand. 

atm cards issued by BKK bank (master card logo), cant be used overseas.

Moreover, indian punters wont want to leave any tracks of their activates in Pattaya. Did we not read of a dude who tore off pages of his passport where he had thai immigration stamp!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjakob007 said:

as is the case with thailand. 

atm cards issued by BKK bank (master card logo), cant be used overseas.

RU sure... I have one of those and although not used specifically, it was fine as a guarantee to check in for an overseas hotel.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Absolutely. Even how is anyone to know exactly how much was in the safe unless he has written/photographic proof it was put there?

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

RU sure... I have one of those and although not used specifically, it was fine as a guarantee to check in for an overseas hotel.

I have struggled even in thailand with this card. was advised by the bank to request for another visa card for PoS use in Thailand.

Was not accepted at Robinsons & Villa market for PoS. so ended up using QR code payment here.

6 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

I have struggled even in thailand with this card. was advised by the bank to request for another visa card for PoS use in Thailand.

I started off with 2 cards, a Visa and a Mastercard, but they were both inked to the same fixed deposit guarantee amount. I seemed to only use the one so one year never renewed the Visa one. I have used the MC quite a bit in Thailand without issue, but I admit to being fearful of fraud and high commissions outside of LOS and don't. 

I initially got it to support online air-ticket purchases, annual trips to UK. 

Edited by jacko45k

6 hours ago, d4dang said:

The unnamed hotel is conducting business as usual. Someone either got lucky popping the safe after trying a few rooms or someone learned about the cash during his stay. Nice score regardless.

Or the cash didn't exist.

• Like 1