How safe is Thai society for children?

webfact

image.jpeg

An average of 7,631 Thais, aged under 14, died each year from 2017 to 2020 from illnesses and non-illness related causes, according to the Institute for Population and Social Research of Mahidol University.

In an open letter, issued by staff at the institute, they asked all sectors of Thai society to give top priority to the safety of children and youth in the aftermath of the mass killings in Nong Bua Lam Phu province last Thursday.

Citing public health statistics from 2017-2000, the institute said that 19,304 children aged from new born to four years, 4,545 children aged 5-9 and 6,766 children aged 10-14, have died from illnesses and non-illness related, or an average of 7,631 per year.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/how-safe-is-thai-society-for-children/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Not safe at all.

Little supervision from parents (esp. the lower classes) and a multitude of things around the house or the hood that are death traps. 

Out in the villages it's way worse.

I'm surprised that there are not many fatalities from cobra bites ????

• Love It 1

But of a strange article in my opinion. 7600 children dying in average from illness and non illness related causes equating to the question. 'Is Thailand safe....?'

Children like adults, in every country of the world die each and every day from illness and non related illness such as car accidents, misadventure, etc. 

If we chose to use that metric 'loss of life' as a indicator of safety. The question logically becomes; what is the numerical threshold between safe and unsafe? Zero childhood deaths through illness and non Illness related causes?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

I appears to me that Thai awareness to danger in relation to there children is very low. This can be seen by how they carry there children on motorbikes. I am not saying they do not love there kids but they do not see the outcome of somethings they do. 

Not just carry their kids on motorbikes but allow them to use them by themselves too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pick up trucks driving 80km/h in the Moo Ban, soi dogs, yaba crazed idiots walking around, electric wires everywhere, abuse at schools, dangerous playgrounds, if any, and so on.. Thailand is not a country for kids. Let them stay home and play Roblox. My wife pictures a different country when she describes her childhood, she played outside with friends. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

My wife pictures a different country when she describes her childhood, she played outside with friends. 

We could all say the same, about our home countries.  Or could we:

No worries of pedos ... or didn't make the news

No worries of getting run over in the streets

... though my friend in kindergarten was killed crossing one

... childhood friend was hit (survived) after being hit

No worries of yaba & drugs

...  I know people that OD'd bay in 70s

No worries about protests and gov't suppression

... Ohio State

People don't teach their kids or watch them from drowning

... I was saved at a Las Vegas pool, by CPR

... Childhood friend drowned on a Boy Scout outing to a pool

No mass shootings

... Texas tower ... one of the first to make the news

Thailand in no different than the rest of the world.  People seem to have selective memories.  Also compare Mangos & Papayas, 3rd world vs 3rd world not vs 1st world.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rwill said:

Not just carry their kids on motorbikes but allow them to use them by themselves too.

I do agree that they love their kids, but it is the Thai mentality at work here, very little common sense, and yes, where driving and riding motorbikes are concerned, especially underage riders, I will always be a Thai basher, and I make no apologies for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stoner said:

if thailand is not safe for thai children....what are THAI doing about it ? 

Thailand is very unsafe for everyone.  It's a cultural thing that comes from a combination of face saving, corruption, fatalism, Buddhism, lack of forward thinking, absolute adherence to hierarchy, not being bothered about anything that does not affect someone personally, and so on.

You may as well ask "When is Thailand going to fundamentally change everything about its society and culture?".

Then again, isn't this all one side of a double edged sword, the other being the very relaxed, forgiving and fun nature of Thais that we all like?  Mai bpen rai.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

In an open letter, issued by staff at the institute, they asked all sectors of Thai society to give top priority to the safety of children and youth in the aftermath of the mass killings in Nong Bua Lam Phu province last Thursday.

Between road deaths, illness, pedophile family members children have no safety.

16 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

I think this article would have been far more interesting if they did a comparison of child fatalities in other Countries.  As it stands, this is nothing more than Thai Bashing!

So if it's about average nothing needs to be done, regardless of what is actually happening to kids in Thailand?

6 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I appears to me that Thai awareness to danger in relation to there children is very low. This can be seen by how they carry there children on motorbikes. I am not saying they do not love there kids but they do not see the outcome of somethings they do. 

saw 4 boys on 1 motorbike yesterday the boy doing the riding would not have been more than 12 .. accident waiting to happen