Cream for coffee

TheLaughingMan

Villa sells a Half cream, like a half/half.  Makro as well.  As far as the coffee creamers like back home they do not exist here in Thailand.  I make my own by adding liquid Vanilla and some other liquid flavorings like hazelnut and caramel to the Heavy Cream I use.  

• Like 2

you requested  cream...   not Half /Half, not flavored pancake batters... this one from Magnolia is sold @ Makro, Lotus, Villa Market and Tops           Unless your coffee is over the top acidic, it does not curdle.  It steams very well  for Cappuccino and the like.    Bonus it's keto friendly

20221014_064703.jpg

20221014_065923_01.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Villa sells a Half cream, like a half/half.  Makro as well.  As far as the coffee creamers like back home they do not exist here in Thailand.  I make my own by adding liquid Vanilla and some other liquid flavorings like hazelnut and caramel to the Heavy Cream I use.  

I use this too as it's half the price of whipping cream. But the carton doesn't have any nutrition facts on it, and being a namby pamby woke keto dieter, I'm interested in carb content. The whipping cream is keto friendly, as someone else points out. Is this what you mean by "heavy cream"? I found it didn't keep well after opening even in the fridge. Both are great for protein shakes with coconut and almond milk.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, retiree said:

Question:  for the tiny amount you add to coffee, does UHT whipping cream taste any different from regular whipping cream?   And does it really not spoil much, much longer in the fridge?

-- Retiree 

Don't know about the 'creams' but I actually like the taste of Dutch Mills' UHT version of whole milk over the fresh.

Also when buying, you really do need to read the label.  As 1 barista cream I looked at, had less fat content that Dutch Mill whole milk.

I just use milk, and it froths up rather nice, and I can get soft peaks, sort of, if I don't stop. Sure I'm sacrificing a bit of flavor by not using heavier creams, but like the flavor of the coffee to come thru also.

I prefer black or a frothy flat white. 

50 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

CARNATION milk goes well with coffee

Unfortunately the only sensible answer here. "goes well" I would translate as "just acceptable", but what can you do.

It is a question of shelf life, not taste.

Of course original whipping cream (or half/half - I did not try that) is much better taste-wise, but the pack lasts only about 3 days in the fridge once opened. The last resort would be to buy the smallest packs available, but this does not change the shelf life and this solution is still expensive.

No idea why they do not sell the "standard" coffee milk one is used to in Europe and which lasts ages.

11 minutes ago, jvs said:

Coffee mate?

Check mate ! I just told my wife to bring one for trying. Hope she cannot find it.

What we wanted was Coffee Cream. Maybe some posters on AN have been brought up without and do not even know what Coffee Cream is. ????

We are saved, I could reach her by phone. She did not buy it yet. ????

Edited by moogradod

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Check mate ! I just told my wife to bring one for trying. Hope she cannot find it.

What we wanted was Coffee Cream. Maybe some posters on AN have been brought up without and do not even know what Coffee Cream is. ????

I have really never had it,all we had is the fresh cream we skimmed of the fresh milk from the tank.

Tasted ok i guess.

6 minutes ago, jvs said:

I have really never had it,all we had is the fresh cream we skimmed of the fresh milk from the tank.

Tasted ok i guess.

The best is full fat real cream, but it is expensive and has a short shelf life. Coffee Cream (not creamer !) lasts very long even outside the fridge. It's a standard in every supermarket in Switzerland. You can order in every coffee shop a "Café creme". This is the standard coffee cup apart from Capuccino, Caffe Latte (Milchkaffee) - which I hate by the way and the other varieties.

Edited by moogradod
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, moogradod said:

The best is full fat real cream, but it is expensive and has a short shelf life. Coffee Cream (not creamer !) lasts very long even outside the fridge. It's a standard in every supermarket in Switzerland. You can order in every coffee shop a "Café creme". This is the standard coffee cup apart from Capuccino, Caffe Latte (Milchkaffee) - which I hate by the way and the other varieties.

If it's dairy based, surely it's not going to last long outside the fridge? What is it exactly? You can buy full cream powdered milk here in Foodland for instance, and online. That will last outside the fridge, but still best stored in it. It's ok in coffee and tea. I think some of the products mentioned here fall into the category of non-dairy creamers, for me to be avoided at all costs.

*Woke alert!*

Palm oil and sugar, massive deforestation worldwide, bad teeth, diabetes, etc, etc with the destruction of habitat and native land. But I suppose you could say the same about dairy production.

19 minutes ago, bradiston said:

If it's dairy based, surely it's not going to last long outside the fridge? What is it exactly? You can buy full cream powdered milk here in Foodland for instance, and online. That will last outside the fridge, but still best stored in it. It's ok in coffee and tea. I think some of the products mentioned here fall into the category of non-dairy creamers, for me to be avoided at all costs.

*Woke alert!*

Palm oil and sugar, massive deforestation worldwide, bad teeth, diabetes, etc, etc with the destruction of habitat and native land. But I suppose you could say the same about dairy production.

It is dairy based. Here is the picture of one pack with 20 portions - one for each Coffee. And it lasts long outside the fridge. And has nothing to do with Palm Oil etc.

image.png.c15016392c6c422fce0e5bbafc2fe4df.png

This concludes my contribution to this topic. Up to you to believe me or drink your coffee black. I have been using this "Kaffeerahm" for ages (in Switzerland - unfortunately not here because of its unavailability)

Edited by moogradod

On 10/14/2022 at 12:35 PM, retiree said:

Question:  for the tiny amount you add to coffee, does UHT whipping cream taste any different from regular whipping cream?   And does it really not spoil much, much longer in the fridge?

Yes and yes.  I got the Oldenburger UHT Whipping Cream 200g from Tops (on sale at 95B for 2x200 ml containers -- note that 200ml is less than half a pint, so about 225B/quart).  Arrived cold, container says good for 1 month. 

But ... even just a bit to lighten the coffee tastes like the cream you get in little unrefrigerated liquid cream portions at conferences, and apparently in Switzerland.   I may start having my recurring nightmare about missing connecting flights again.

Next tests will be Barefoot's suggestion -- Magnolia half cream (115B/quart) and/or whipping cream (189B/quart).   

-- Retiree 

1 hour ago, retiree said:

Yes and yes.  I got the Oldenburger UHT Whipping Cream 200g from Tops (on sale at 95B for 2x200 ml containers -- note that 200ml is less than half a pint, so about 225B/quart).  Arrived cold, container says good for 1 month. 

But ... even just a bit to lighten the coffee tastes like the cream you get in little unrefrigerated liquid cream portions at conferences, and apparently in Switzerland.   I may start having my recurring nightmare about missing connecting flights again.

Next tests will be Barefoot's suggestion -- Magnolia half cream (115B/quart) and/or whipping cream (189B/quart).   

-- Retiree 

This is exactly what I use. I pour some I to a cup add my vanilla extract and some cinnamon to it, mix it up and then add my coffee on top delicious.

16664937753171427912493793308156.jpg

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

This is exactly what I use. I pour some I to a cup add my vanilla extract and some cinnamon to it, mix it up and then add my coffee on top delicious.

16664937753171427912493793308156.jpg

I use their half cream as mentioned above. 115 THB. Can cook with it and make shakes. And great in coffee. But, no nutrition facts. How many carbs etc.

And the winner is ...  Magnolia half cream (115B/quart from Tops).  Tastes just like old-fashioned Half & Half squeezed from red-blooded American cows -- smooths the coffee but doesn't add its own peculiar flavor.   Definitely (ordinary) pasteurized, but not clear if it's been homogenized.   And there's no ingredient analysis on the carton or website; just says Low fat fresh cream made from fresh milk.

Carton is marked Best by ... one month from purchase date, and says consume within 48 hours after opening, which seems short.   I assume it will last a week or two in the fridge.  Science beckons!

-- Retiree 

• Thumbs Up 1