Idea for Thai visas

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Kind of defeats the object of a visa system, don't you think?   

Does your own country allow anyone in with no checks as long as they've got a couple of quid to pay each month?

First, my country doesn't invite tourists at all.

Second, 1999baht  per month it is not a "couple of quid", could be hundred soon, haha.

Third, how does the existing system prevent a wrongdoer come in ? If there is a working filter,  let it be!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

You do know that most other countries also have Immigration laws, right? Why would Thailand suddenly give them up and charge per month without any questions? Just because you think it´s convenient? Really? I think this was the most stupid thread so far.

Really, really...

I will tell you why, because the world is changing.

I realize that there are always people that tend to exaggerate any idea. "Without  question" , "what about your country", "allow anyone.." ...

I'm waiting for the question "Imagine what would happen if all China come to live in Thailand!?"

12 minutes ago, plus7 said:
20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Does your own country allow anyone in with no checks as long as they've got a couple of quid to pay each month?

First, my country doesn't invite tourists at all.

Second, 1999baht  per month it is not a "couple of quid", could be hundred soon, haha.

Third, how does the existing system prevent a wrongdoer come in ? If there is a working filter,  let it be!

First, which is your country that does not have visitors at all?

Secondly, "a couple of quid", is an expression, a figure of speech.  In the context of my response no one would reasonably interpret it to mean £2.

Thirdly, there is a working filter and part of it is not allowing people the privilege of buying a visa on demand.  The visa application system does not allow 100% of applicants to enter, it only allows those who meet Thailand's requirements to enter.

Liverpool Lou, thank you for your replies, even if you think the idea is quite raw (at least).

Russia, on my opinion, is not interested in tourists.

I understood your figure of speech, and opposed that the amount is reasonable.

One could pay ~ 20k baht for the extension without complete set of requirements for "the assistance".  Instead they will pay it to the country.

If a tourist passed checks and come for 6 months, why not let him live more ?

Besides, do you know that COVID extensions were canceled just recently in August ? Before that someone could just extend and extend.

Everything could be computerized, stored in the database, with online payments without any "sticky" cash.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, plus7 said:

Really, really...

I will tell you why, because the world is changing.

I realize that there are always people that tend to exaggerate any idea. "Without  question" , "what about your country", "allow anyone.." ...

I'm waiting for the question "Imagine what would happen if all China come to live in Thailand!?"

Sir, Would you please try to make sense in your next comment. What has China to do with my reply? What without question? Read again, and you will find 3 questions in my post. Yes, the world is changing, dude. To be more secure and include more rules and checks before you can enter a country or extend a visa. Not the opposite. But, I assume you are one of the guys that cannot live up to the rules and demands for fitting in a visa category. In that case I feel sorry for you, but have hope. There might be a time when that changes. Just have to work hard and believe. 

Edited by Gottfrid

There is already a pay to stay visa, The Thai elite Visa, works out to 10,000 baht a month.

You can go to them and say, "I want to stay for 5 years" viola. Probably an option to pay for it via a QR code as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good point, no filters, criminals are welcome, it's money based. Any riff raff allowed in

Scubascuba, thank you for your comment. I think you and your topic-mates need a bit more explanation:

What do you think about how does it work currently ? If a tourist got visa or already came-in, did he passed the check ?

No? When they are checked? When come to immigration? 

Yes? Then probably it is ok.

Guys, I'm not a minister of internal affairs in any country. I'm not dead serious, I just gave fresh(I hope it is) idea  for a discussion.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Seems to work in the UK a treat. 

Especially if the couple of quid is backed up with six or seven zeroes. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

it's fine as it is. if it ain't broke...

you probably think it's ok because over 50 and 1900 baht a year is good, but under 50 you get in a world of pain with border runs etc etc. Why should a 49yo be treated differently to a 50yo? both could be retired. Not much logic involved

• Like 1

2 hours ago, plus7 said:

Scubascuba, thank you for your comment. I think you and your topic-mates need a bit more explanation:

What do you think about how does it work currently ? If a tourist got visa or already came-in, did he passed the check ?

No? When they are checked? When come to immigration? 

Yes? Then probably it is ok.

Guys, I'm not a minister of internal affairs in any country. I'm not dead serious, I just gave fresh(I hope it is) idea  for a discussion.

When things change here, its usually for the worse - I cant think of anything that has changed during my time for the better. 

It costs me 1900 baht at Immigration, and 200 baht for a bank letter to renew my retirement extension.

OTOH, the opportunity cost of keeping 800K baht on permanent deposit might make the OP's proposition worthwhile.

Minor point - the OP needs to work on his math. 6 months at his proposed tariff is approximately 12,000 baht, not 10,000.

I mean given they are asking for people to invest millions of dollars to get long term visas, maybe 1999 baht per month is not going to fly. How about 199,999 baht per month?

Please don't give Thai government ideas you all might regret later.

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, recom273 said:

When things change here, its usually for the worse - I cant think of anything that has changed during my time for the better. 

Online 90 day reporting is a big improvement IMHO. When it was implemented in 2015, it saved me 4 x 250 km round trips to immigration a year, so now I only have to go once a year for my extension.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Online 90 day reporting is a big improvement IMHO. When it was implemented in 2015, it saved me 4 x 250 km round trips to immigration a year, so now I only have to go once a year for my extension.

Ah yes! You proved me wrong! Excellent!

Yes, I was never able to used it until this year, HY didn’t accept online submissions, I used to send the wife as she would often pass the office.

Whoever decided on the current overhaul with the email confirmation and reminder email should be instantly promoted. 

• Like 1