Taking the plunge

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Indeed, and yet I personallly take this risk on a regular basis.  I am not willing to call an Uber every time I want to cross the road to avoid the possibility of being flattened by a driving lunatic.

So we've established it's high risk but within your personal risk tolerance levels, great. Now what about everyone else, now that we've agreed it's high risk!

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I would strongly advise against using an agent to front the 800k, they do get caught and people who use such a system get banned for life.

nonsense ....  800k can make 60k a year in investments instead of losing value. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

So we've established it's high risk but within your personal risk tolerance levels, great. Now what about everyone else, now that we've agreed it's high risk!

As a matter of interest, what is your personal strategy when you need to be on the other side of a road?

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The first hit if using agent will be approx 30k which is for the non O and extention.

Every year from then will be approx 15k per extension.

Obviously you require a reentry permit. 

36 actually if u need both
ur tm 30 is upcountry and i always did  my 90 day reports online>
no problem

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

In Thailand they're liable to sneak up behind you especially if you're in a pedestrian only area.

That has definitely been known to happen. The really high risk activity, though, is getting on a motorcycle, something not only Thais but many foreigners undertake (not me: I am willing to take small risks, but I am not suicidal).

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

If you stay and if you don't get caught, you may change your thinking on this subject. Most long term legitimate expats, the ones who really can afford to live here, get pretty pee'd off with the antics of the few that can't and who break all the rules. In retaliation, Immigration implements even more draconian rules which makes life even harder for everyone, even though most of us have played by the rules. The rule about seasoning the 400/800k, two months before and every month after, that's because of people like YOU.

looked at this and wondered then spotted Newbie ? sort of said enough,

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, zedzz said:

looked at this and wondered then spotted Newbie ? sort of said enough,

Only in your dreams. I was applying for visa's in Thailand when you were still just a twinkle in your daddy's eye.

Edited by nigelforbes

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You may wish to discuss 90 day reporting with the agent..

Yes I agree, also if the OP goes ahead with an agent, ensure the Non O stamp and extension in your PP is from the office where you are located  or the 90 day reporting may be tricky ! 

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

As a matter of interest, what is your personal strategy when you need to be on the other side of a road?

I reduce my risk in as far as it is possible to do so by either making a U-turn in my vehicle, or if on foot, using an overhead walkway. If those things aren't possible I try to cross at a light, with a group of other people. As a last resort I will locate a policeman and pay him to stop traffic so that I can walk across safely. As a last resort I may consider digging my own tunnel under the road but this depends on how much time I have.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

nonsense ....  800k can make 60k a year in investments instead of losing value. 

Hmmm, let me see, make 60k by investing the money outside Thailand whilst scamming Thai Imm. via a dodgy agent, the penalty for which, at a minimum must be???  Leave, apply for visa and return, along with proof of YOUR 800k in the bank this time....cost of flight etc, easily 60k plus, if allowed back in at all for what, one year, ever, dunno.

5 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Do you have the required 800,000 in the bank and willing to leave it there all the time?
if so no need for an agent, an just pay 1,900/year for the extension AND
pay 1,000 baht for single re entry or 3,800 for multiple

IF no 800,000, than its a min of 16,000 baht/year, PLUS the re entry>

you do the math

immigration stress you with new requirements and papers every year. that why many are using agents now

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

Yes I agree, also if the OP goes ahead with an agent, ensure the Non O stamp and extension in your PP is from the office where you are located  or the 90 day reporting may be tricky ! 

Almost certainly the stamps will be obtained up country.

It would be possible to do a change of address (TM30) to where you are living.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It happened to me years ago my 1st agent and Non 0 + Extension ( 15 months ) at CW. Looking at my PP more closely when I got home, stamped Chachoengsao Immigration. Hopefully for others this doesn't happen.........

6 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

If you stay and if you don't get caught, you may change your thinking on this subject. Most long term legitimate expats, the ones who really can afford to live here, get pretty pee'd off with the antics of the few that can't and who break all the rules. In retaliation, Immigration implements even more draconian rules which makes life even harder for everyone, even though most of us have played by the rules. The rule about seasoning the 400/800k, two months before and every month after, that's because of people like YOU.

Says the fellow who joined AN 3 weeks ago..

So you just found out about the forum, despite being a long term "legit"?

Edited by bobbin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Padthaigoong said:

Yes I was hoping that would be included in their fee.

It usually is; however, it takes about a minute to do yourself online, once registered. After that, simply print out the new form with the next date, and staple it in the passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

That has definitely been known to happen. The really high risk activity, though, is getting on a motorcycle, something not only Thais but many foreigners undertake (not me: I am willing to take small risks, but I am not suicidal).

I have been on a scooter for over 10 years now, accident-free. I must be doing something right.

Yes, it is a high risk activity, all the statistics say so. However, defensive driving can minimize the risk.

With my retirement visa, I minimize the risk as well.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If the agent is doing the 90 day report presumably they take care of the change of address at the same time don't they or is this getting complicated ?

Edited by Padthaigoong
typo

4 minutes ago, Padthaigoong said:

If the agent is doing the 90 day report presumably they take care of the change of address at the same time don't they or is this getting complicated ?

If the agent is doing the 90 reports they won't do a change of address.

The issue with the reports not being done where you live can have issues for such things as obtaining a TDL.

Discuss with the agent that you use. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If the agent is doing the 90 reports they won't do a change of address.

The issue with the reports not being done where you live can have issues for such things as obtaining a TDL.

Discuss with the agent that you use. 

I am starting to think border runs are the answer after all.

10 minutes ago, Padthaigoong said:

Been.years using Pattaya agent.all stamp and 90days done.at local office.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Been.years using Pattaya agent.all stamp and 90days done.at local office.

But did you make your original visa application with the agent or by yourself ?

Because that would affect where you report.

Edited by Padthaigoong

9 minutes ago, Padthaigoong said:

But did you make your original visa application with the agent or by yourself ?

Would not change things.

Your earlier post stating that you might revisit idea of border runs etc. 

Not a long term solution. 

Be aware that MANY folk living long term in Thailand use agents.

Don't listen to the negative posts about this option.

They have axe to grind. 

For the record I don't use an agent however as father time catches up it is firmly on my radar. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1