Handicap parking

I find there are some inconsiderate people that park in spaces reserved for handicap and spaces for pregnant women just for their convenance. Due to a serious back energy many years ago, I walk with a cane and find it difficult to walk 15 meters before I reach pain levels above 5 or 6 plus, I have heart issues. Back in America I had a special tag that would allow me to park in handicap spaces. Is there a law regarding handicap parking here in Thailand? If so and I need a permit, where do I apply for one? I find that Americans have a lot more respect for the handicap than here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Be careful.

disabled-2.jpg

A disability rights activist was jailed after posting a picture of a motorist occupying a parking spot reserved for disabled drivers and now faces up to two years in prison for libeling the man.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/disability-rights-activist-jailed-for-shaming-a-motorist-parked-in-a-disabled-bay

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Kenneth White said:

I find that Americans have a lot more respect for the handicap than here.

The people of a lot of nations do…..

The disabled are more often than not considered a burden here. That is slowly changing. 

Try at a hospital for the disabled badge, I recall reading in another thread that they do exist. 

Additionally, just park in the disabled spot anyway… you are visibly disabled so no social justice warriors will complain to you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a disability parking badge back in the UK. Didn't take me long to realize that obtaining one here would be more trouble that it was worth. Thais disregard any notices that try to stop them doing exactly what they want irrespective of upsetting others. Outside most large supermarkets they have road markings telling them not to stop and drop off their passengers at the main doors. Do they take notice? 

if you can find any security guard around tell him and he will do the rest and move the car. 

if there are not any security or anyone can help you and you are very very sure that the driver is normal, just park behind him. This can end up dangerous but also can end up really nice. One of my friends did this and actually the guy who parked was really really sorry.

you can take the picture and call traffic police too. but again be very sure that the driver is normal. if you want to post the picture you must blur/block the number plate and other things which will make the driver obvious. 

you can apply for a sticker but sorry i cannot remember from where. you might call transportation office which is near Bang Sue, bangkok i think. 

Unfortunately at this time here in Thailand it's something you will have to live with. It can’t be much fun when you’re genuinely disabled.

As you will read in other posts often you’ll find that disabled bays are occupied by expensive cars.

Do you have Disabled Stickers on your front and rear screen. Just interested to know.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, sport said:

Unfortunately at this time here in Thailand it's something you will have to live with. It can’t be much fun when you’re genuinely disabled.

As you will read in other posts often you’ll find that disabled bays are occupied by expensive cars.

Do you have Disabled Stickers on your front and rear screen. Just interested to know.

I see links above that will help me get a handicap sticker. Thank you.

20 hours ago, Rimmer said:

On 10/19/2022 at 1:22 AM, JeffersLos said:

Do you walk around the places you go to, or do you use a wheelchair?

On 10/19/2022 at 12:28 AM, problemfarang said:

if you can find any security guard around tell him and he will do the rest and move the car. 

if there are not any security or anyone can help you and you are very very sure that the driver is normal, just park behind him. This can end up dangerous but also can end up really nice. One of my friends did this and actually the guy who parked was really really sorry.

you can take the picture and call traffic police too. but again be very sure that the driver is normal. if you want to post the picture you must blur/block the number plate and other things which will make the driver obvious. 

you can apply for a sticker but sorry i cannot remember from where. you might call transportation office which is near Bang Sue, bangkok i think. 

At Global House, Makro and Tesco they have parking lot attendants but do nothing. At Makro for instance handicap spots are taken by delivery service vehicles. At Tesco I have seen street food carts and Global anything goes

• Like 1

My observations are different, as I always see Disabled spaces empty at the vendors that have them.  Only strange thing, many have wheeled 'gates' that need to be moved, and only Makro and larger malls have attendants always available to do.

Suggest OP actually go to get a disable registered tags.  Not sure if the hanging on mirror tags will be very effective here.  May get booted any way, especially if not noticed.  I've seen many handicapped tags/plates, so they do exist, simply ask.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, saranlhaw said:

You don't need to get a permit or anything like that. If you are walking with a walking cane, you can use a handicap parking. 

That doesn't help when you return to your car and it's booted.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:
19 hours ago, saranlhaw said:

You don't need to get a permit or anything like that. If you are walking with a walking cane, you can use a handicap parking. 

That doesn't help when you return to your car and it's booted.

It helps with giving the tool who fitted the wheel-lock a whack over the head !!!! 

Really though, as the Op is visibly ‘disabled’ or struggles walking etc no one is going to take issue with him parking in a disabled spot. 

The issue of potentially facing a social justice warrior exists for someone who is not so obviously or visibly disabled - fortunately in Thailand people are generally far less combative than those in some of our home nations.