How much do the average Thai person earn ?

Baron Samedi

19 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Only reason you are getting smiles is cos people can't post CONFUSED anymore. The salaries you state are hardly close to what the actual salaries are. I would like to know what jobs these guys are doing, cos even back home those are mighty fine salaries. I think you are just trying to be inflammatory, or your head is up in the clouds somewhere. Even in BKK these are still not average salaries.???? 

You obviously haven't read the whole thread as I posted an example of high salaries (in Bangkok) on page 3. Salaries in excess of 300k THB are NOT unusual in Bangkok (salaries quoted are monthly and in Thai baht):-

Data Analyst – Online  - 140-150k
Data Scientist – Finance – 170k
Actuarial Consultant – Insurance – 120-150K
VP Risk Management -Insurance – 150-180k
Head of Finance (Supply Chain) – 300k
ECommerce and Digital Tech Director – 300-400k
VP Production – F&B – 400k
Factory Manager – FMCG – 300k
HR Director – Insurance - 300-400k
Marketing Director – FMCG – 400k
Managing Director – Blockchain – 500-600k
Head of Technology – Blockchain – 300-400k
Chief Commercial Officer – Online – 600k
Head of Corporate Strategy Planning – Securities – 600k

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

You obviously haven't read the whole thread as I posted an example of high salaries (in Bangkok) on page 3. Salaries in excess of 300k THB are NOT unusual in Bangkok (salaries quoted are monthly and in Thai baht):-

Data Analyst – Online  - 140-150k
Data Scientist – Finance – 170k
Actuarial Consultant – Insurance – 120-150K
VP Risk Management -Insurance – 150-180k
Head of Finance (Supply Chain) – 300k
ECommerce and Digital Tech Director – 300-400k
VP Production – F&B – 400k
Factory Manager – FMCG – 300k
HR Director – Insurance - 300-400k
Marketing Director – FMCG – 400k
Managing Director – Blockchain – 500-600k
Head of Technology – Blockchain – 300-400k
Chief Commercial Officer – Online – 600k
Head of Corporate Strategy Planning – Securities – 600k

And yet these are the high end jobs very few have while hundreds of thousands more work at the bottom of these companies and make minimum wage to may double the minimum wage depending on the position.  Most folks pay a housekeeper 9k to 12k Thb a month, that's for one who works in the house 6 days a week and even has board included.  I pay my housekeeper 20K Thb a month and that also includes her room, she has every Saturday afternoon off and Sunday, returning to her position by Monday morning at 6am.  However, she can leave in the evenings to do as she pleases as long as she is back before midnight as that is when the doors are locked and shuttered from the inside. She works from 6 am to 5 pm.  She also travels with us between the Condo in BKK and the House in Southern HH/Pranburi.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And yet these are the high end jobs very few have while hundreds of thousands more work at the bottom of these companies and make minimum wage to may double the minimum wage depending on the position.  Most folks pay a housekeeper 9k to 12k Thb a month, that's for one who works in the house 6 days a week and even has board included.  I pay my housekeeper 20K Thb a month and that also includes her room, she has every Saturday afternoon off and Sunday, returning to her position by Monday morning at 6am.  However, she can leave in the evenings to do as she pleases as long as she is back before midnight as that is when the doors are locked and shuttered from the inside. She works from 6 am to 5 pm.  She also travels with us between the Condo in BKK and the House in Southern HH/Pranburi.  

You are comparing apples and oranges. No one is debating that lower level jobs in Thailand don't pay much but my point is that this idea that EVERYONE in Thailand gets paid a pittance is just simply wrong. There are plenty of roles paying in excess of 100k THB (IT, data analytics, oil & gas, banking & finance, FMCG, manufacturing, pharmacueticals etc) and as I've demonstrated, plenty of roles paying in excess of 300k.
There's a reason why you see so many new cars in Bangkok or why new apartments sell for 10M THB and upwards. I live in Thong Lor and 2 new apartment blocks (each must have in excess of 150 apartments and are selling for a minimum of 10M THB) built near me are completely sold out 9 months since their completion. There's money here and it's not just with the hi-so's.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

You are comparing apples and oranges. No one is debating that lower level jobs in Thailand don't pay much but my point is that this idea that EVERYONE in Thailand gets paid a pittance is just simply wrong. There are plenty of roles paying in excess of 100k THB (IT, data analytics, oil & gas, banking & finance, FMCG, manufacturing, pharmacueticals etc) and as I've demonstrated, plenty of roles paying in excess of 300k.
There's a reason why you see so many new cars in Bangkok or why new apartments sell for 10M THB and upwards. I live in Thong Lor and 2 new apartment blocks (each must have in excess of 150 apartments and are selling for a minimum of 10M THB) built near me are completely sold out 9 months since their completion. There's money here and it's not just with the hi-so's.

You have missed the point of the OP. The OP is about:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And you are missing my point.

All I'm doing is replying to posters who are saying that people don't get paid much in Thailand. My original post (on page 3) was replying to Peterw42 who insisted that someone quoting 350k salaries were 'ridiculous figures' and the poster above Pouatchee who commented ' I would like to know what jobs these guys are doing, cos even back home those are mighty fine salaries'.

These are answers to specific posts rather than generally commenting on 'How much do the average Thai person earns' 

48 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

And you are missing my point.

All I'm doing is replying to posters who are saying that people don't get paid much in Thailand. My original post (on page 3) was replying to Peterw42 who insisted that someone quoting 350k salaries were 'ridiculous figures' and the poster above Pouatchee who commented ' I would like to know what jobs these guys are doing, cos even back home those are mighty fine salaries'.

These are answers to specific posts rather than generally commenting on 'How much do the average Thai person earns' 

Average people do not get paId what you quoted. Only high end folks. What you quoted is still a pittance to what is paid elsewhere for the same jobs in reality.

4 minutes ago, visabouncer said:

Recently, I heard an interesting conversation between a Thai pretty teacher and a foreigner. Foreigner tried to boast his salary in Europe. He converted it into Thai baht according to the official exchange rate and the result was higher than the 25 000 of the teacher. But the lady disagreed with him. She told the foreigner that she earns more. The lady converted the salary of the foreigner into liters of gasoline using the actual prices in his country. And, suddenly, she earns more litters of gasoline per month according to the actual prices in her country.

I am quite surprised that they couldn't have explained it better in  simpler way  without using gasoline as an example . 

Like " My Thai salary gives me more spending power due to price differences"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

90% dont get much. Talking about corporate IT guys getting 400k who cares. 

Whats the average bowl of noodles with meat? 50 baht

You - i saw one for 5,000 baht with caviar!

The op asked avg.

One more time for the those lacking reading comprehension.

I am replying to specific people who are commenting that no one gets paid well in Thailand. I am NOT commenting on the topic 'How much does the average Thai person earn?' as (amazingly enough), I understand that '90% don't get much'.  

Really not sure why this is so hard to understand.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:33 AM, Ralf001 said:

I suggest you go back to school an learn the difference between median and average before calling my post nonsense.

Semantics. I suggest you go back to school and look that word up. Then do another google search, as your numbers are nonesense, whatever form of semantics you try to use

educate yourself!

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=20669&section=2.1#:~:text=There are three main types,by the number of values.

Not as clever as you think you are. But you are definitely still wrong!!

1 hour ago, youngster30uk said:

Semantics. I suggest you go back to school and look that word up. Then do another google search, as your numbers are nonesense, whatever form of semantics you try to use

educate yourself!

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=20669&section=2.1#:~:text=There are three main types,by the number of values.

Not as clever as you think you are. But you are definitely still wrong!!

If my numbers are not correct I suggest you take up the issue with the website that published them.

https://www.worlddata.info/average-income.php

Now go and <deleted> on someone else leg you annoying little yappy dog.

On 10/24/2022 at 2:01 PM, johnnybangkok said:

One more time for the those lacking reading comprehension.

I am replying to specific people who are commenting that no one gets paid well in Thailand. I am NOT commenting on the topic 'How much does the average Thai person earn?' as (amazingly enough), I understand that '90% don't get much'.  

Really not sure why this is so hard to understand.

India has super rich too.

On 10/19/2022 at 6:36 AM, Peterw42 said:

So lets put this into perspective, the low end of your ridiculous figures are higher than average wage in US, UK, Australia, Canada, Japan etc.

Can only presume you mean yearly, not monthly, or you happen to hang out with CEOs of large companies, and brain surgeons.

Monthly pay for a general manager with a large retail group in Thailand can easily be 150,000+ per month. For a similar position with a foreign company based here, 300,000 is not unusual, again per month. They may not be typical salaries but the OP asked for facts so what else can we do but relate the facts we know personally?

I've no idea what brain surgeons earn here but CEOs of large companies in Thailand are pulling in an awful lot more than that. Take the CEO of Central Group as an example. The Chirathivat family is worth more than $10 billion - do you really think he's only earning $4,000-$8,000 per month lol?

Edited by Mark1066

On 10/23/2022 at 9:52 AM, ThailandRyan said:

You obviously didn't even read the OP. He asked "who earns how much in Thailand" followed by a list that included 'upper class' Thai people and then asked for facts, which are being provided. He didn't ask for facts on just the lowest earners.

3 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

You obviously didn't even read the OP. He asked "who earns how much in Thailand" followed by a list that included 'upper class' Thai people and then asked for facts, which are being provided. He didn't ask for facts on just the lowest earners.

Re-read the title......onto ignore now.

• Haha 2

On 10/19/2022 at 8:09 AM, sandyf said:

Ridiculous post and completely irrelevant.

Only a foreigner would think that earnings are related to class.

No, that's pretty much how Thai people think nowadays. In the past, to be considered as hi-so one had to be a member of the aristocracy or at least on speaking terms with them. Nowadays any celebrity with a pile of cash is also considered to be hi-so. However, contrary to what many foreigners seem to believe, shopping at Paragon still does not qualify you as being hi-so in Thailand.

• Haha 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Re-read the title......onto ignore now.

Hilarious - I didn't realise I was conversing with someone who could only manage to read the title of threads and not the actual content. Thank goodness you've put me on ignore - that will save us both a lot of wasted time. ????

18 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

Hilarious - I didn't realise I was conversing with someone who could only manage to read the title of threads and not the actual content. Thank goodness you've put me on ignore - that will save us both a lot of wasted time. ????

Read the title then read each of the OP's sections and tell me where the majority of people, that's the majority of Thai people fall into those categories.  Very few are in the upper band he asked about so when you talk about the average Thai you talk about those in the middle class and the bottom class, very very few in the top.  So when you discuss what an average Thai makes the monetary issue becomes quite apparent, yet you and a few other believe most Thais make more than 6ok Thb a month.  My view of course but being realistic I am an not arrogant.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Read the title then read each of the OP's sections and tell me where the majority of people, that's the majority of Thai people fall into those categories.  Very few are in the upper band he asked about so when you talk about the average Thai you talk about those in the middle class and the bottom class, very very few in the top.  So when you discuss what an average Thai makes the monetary issue becomes quite apparent, yet you and a few other believe most Thais make more than 6ok Thb a month.  My view of course but being realistic I am an not arrogant.

In order to calculate an average, you need to take all salaries into account, not just the lowest. That's simple maths, not arrogance. If YOU re-read the OP, you will see that he included upper class Thais in his request for salary information. Also, is the ignore function not working any more?

It really does not matter the income of the average Thai person in Thailand.

What really matters, more than anything, is that the income of the average person in Thailand is always rising.

Everybody knows that it is easy to go up.

Just as we know that it is even more stressful to come down.

All change is stressful, whether the change be good or bad, up or down.

Therefore, the actual amount that any Thai person is earning, per year, is insignificant for the purposes of this discussion, at least as I see it.

In order for income to continually rise, and float all boats, this implies an ever-expanding economy.

The only question in my mind is whether or not this exponential growth will remain sustainable.

Think of the world as a petri dish.

Think of ourselves, for the purpose of this argument, as similar to bacteria on the dish.

Sure.  We do not reproduce by binary fission.

Yet, still, we are no different from single-cell organisms in that we will always expand our colonies to inhabit every single centimeter of available space, and eat up all resources available.

Anyway, incomes will continue to rise, as is the case everywhere.

We will continue to consume, as is our nature.

Someday, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not next year, or even next decade, we will reach the extent of our petri-dish habitat, and then, something must give.

Something's always gotta give when the Laws of Nature are ignored.

Maybe five years from now?

What is your guess about the future?

Will family income levels in Thailand continue to rise for another twenty years?

Maybe so.

Will the average income, per family, here in Thailand ever reach that of Taiwan?

Most people in America get confused about Thailand and Taiwan.

Which is which?

The two names sound the same.

They know that one is an island, but they just cannot get the names straight.

Most people in America don't study geography.

I never studied geography in America.

Nobody in America knows where anything is.

This is the beauty of America,

From sea to shining sea.

But, they don't know which seas they are singing about, either.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed as well as the replies:

27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article. Content in the public domain is limited to the same restrictions.

Source: The Nation Thailand is not a valid link to the source of information. 

A post commenting on moderation has been removed:

13. You will not publicly comment on moderation in an open forum. You will not comment on actions taken by individual moderators or on specific or general policies and issues. You will not post a negative emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. You may send a private message to a moderator to discuss individual actions or you can email support (at) aseannow.com to discuss moderation policy. Aggression or abuse against moderators is not tolerated and any such action will be sanctioned. There is no excuse for abuse.

Edited by metisdead