TAT to foreign tourists: “Pay for a pool villa in Phuket instead of paying the energy bills”

webfact

please do so, (Sarcasm intended) as in Phuket (Thailand) nobody pays for energy, it's all free  ???????????? 

TAT to foreign tourists: “Pay for a pool villa in Phuket instead of paying the energy bills”

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

Exactly! You could always get a fare through middle east for £400 or less, now around £950-1000

Yep, friend and wife coming 1st Jan for a month paid 1200 for two ( including insurance ) was a little bit cheaper because they're flying on 31st.

11 hours ago, brommers said:

Another opportunistic and tasteless exploit by TAT. Exploiting people who are financially threatened and worried sick thanks to the antics of the Truss government is beneath contempt.

Incompetent Truss government will be gone very soon,but the energy crisis pertains to all of Europe. Try getting petrol in France just now..

5 hours ago, khunpa said:

I am in Karon, Phuket right now on holiday. My home is in Chiang Mai and can’t wait to get back home tomorrow.

Guess Covid times must have affected my brain as I completely forgot how crappy  this place is. 

Russians everywhere (feels like having taken a Time Machine back to the 80’s), Boring restaurants all with the same menu, Inflated prices and not even good or friendly service in return.

Actually I have never experienced so many rude and arrogant Thais (shop owners/managers) as on this trip.

Probably still a great place for the typical middle-class family with kids and the regular sex-tourist coming for the “I am a millionaire” few weeks trip.

Besides that, it has absolutely nothing else or better to offer.

Drove there in March and had a different impression. Got a fabulous huge apartment overlooking the sea on 16th floor for 1600 baht (way cheaper than European prices) and while much was closed there was still enough restaurants and a few bars (which I don’t use) open and really didn’t think prices or service were bad. Of course it must be dearer than the 60 baht meals you might get in other parts of the country,but again a fraction of Europe’s prices. 
My focus was beach and snorkeling based and in that respect it was fine ,especially driving up the coast to different beaches (Surin) - certainly better than the ones in Chiangmai! ???? Also did snorkeling speedboat trips to Similans and Phi phi which again were good value. 
Pre pandemic I preferred Lanta but with far fewer tourists that must be dead and Phuket is now a more feasible alternative again. I didn’t really interact with many other tourists but met a few pleasant non Russians,so unless they’ve arrived en masse since then ?? I plan another beach trip in November and can’t think another destination here that will surpass it ,certainly not the likes of Samui which I really don’t like.

Hum....Have they changed their mind regarding welcoming only the rich and super rich tourists ???

I thought that they were not welcoming backpackers and poor folks

Sorry to break it to you , but the people you are targeting are far from being among the well to do community as they already are unable to cope with their electricity bills

• Like 1

"Data from the TAT has shown that tourists in Thailand are already spending more now per trip than they were before the pandemic."

Wow! I would never have believed it, but as TAT has verified it, it must be right - the prices of air tickets HAVE gone up!

38 minutes ago, SGD said:

It is an opportunistic comment by a corrupt government hoping to profit on the back of misery suffered by others. How very very Thai.

A lot of posters seem to want to turn everything into an opportunity to denigrate Thai people..... it is not even a comment from the Thai Government, rather TAT.

I think they have done well to be in less of a mess than the other countries we talk of.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

Once those flight prices normalise I'm sure plenty will come

Second that! No way should it be close to £1000 for flights. I could understand straight after the lockdowns because you had lots of people missing thailand and family but I've looked for out of season next year and seen £700 economy which is expensive compared to pre covid

6 minutes ago, Gwen1234 said:

Second that! No way should it be close to £1000 for flights. I could understand straight after the lockdowns because you had lots of people missing thailand and family but I've looked for out of season next year and seen £700 economy which is expensive compared to pre covid

If your saying 1000 is expensive then look at what it runs flying to BKK from the US and back arriving December 1st and returning December 30th. a 50% increase over pre-covid flights.....

image.png.09d9f69eb24dbfc944313897182dc5d3.png

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If your saying 1000 is expensive then look at what it runs flying to BKK from the US and back arriving December 1st and returning December 30th. a 50% increase over pre-covid flights.....

image.png.09d9f69eb24dbfc944313897182dc5d3.png

Crazy prices I see alot of companies trying to not include baggage aswell making it an additional cost

• Thumbs Up 1

Could be an idea if you can work remotely. My son just started work in London after a year off, now impossible to find a place to rent ( 30-40 viewers a day, most places snapped up within 48 hours) and rents have increased by 20% since last year - near impossible to find even a room for 900 GBP a month, What with utility bills and commuting costs, 75% of his net income will be gone before he even thinks of food. He is hoping to get a posting to a job in Asia.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 6:42 AM, nobodysfriend said:

Better provide an EASY tourist visa good for a 6 month stay .

That will certainly help to attract the old and rich folks to spend the winter month ( and their money ) here .

Better warn them though of the risks involved if they want to play Bridge or Bingo perhaps !

On 10/19/2022 at 1:42 PM, nobodysfriend said:

Better provide an EASY tourist visa good for a 6 month stay .

That will certainly help to attract the old and rich folks to spend the winter month ( and their money ) here .

Yeah, my electricity bill has gone up from 185 baht to 245 baht - a whole 60 baht more a month.  Don't know how I will be able to stand for that....................Peace

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anthony P said:

Thailand should give easy options for visas longer than a mere 30 days. That's the main reason we may not be coming back again. Take an example of the Philippines (stay up to 36months on a tourist visa). 

Are tourist Visas, that allow 60 days, (plus a further 30), particularly hard to get? 

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Yeah, my electricity bill has gone up from 185 baht to 245 baht - a whole 60 baht more a month.  Don't know how I will be able to stand for that....................Peace

Hmm mine went from 6500 to 7900...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anthony P said:

Thailand should give easy options for visas longer than a mere 30 days. That's the main reason we may not be coming back again. Take an example of the Philippines (stay up to 36months on a tourist visa). 

Really? After renewing twice, after 59 days must apply for an ACR. Not quite a 36 month visa.

46 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hmm mine went from 6500 to 7900...

I leave my house empty in Trad and live in Pattaya. Bill for 3 storey empty house, CCTV, water pumps for garden watering system etc, ~250 THB pm, bill for 1 bed condo, no AC, in Pattaya, ~750 THB pm. So I won't be flying west any time soon!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

I leave my house empty in Trad and live in Pattaya. Bill for 3 storey empty house, CCTV, water pumps for garden watering system etc, ~250 THB pm, bill for 1 bed condo, no AC, in Pattaya, ~750 THB pm. So I won't be flying west any time soon!

Wow cheap as chips you live. Between the house near Pranburi and the Condo in Sathorn I pay what I posted. Sometimes more. But I have a pool at the house south of HH and we stay there 2 weeks every month and then the 136sqm Condo in Bangkok the other 2 weeks. We also have dryers to dry our clothes in instead of hanging them.  In the US my sister just paid the equivalent of 25k thb for her power bill.

Edited by ThailandRyan

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow cheap as chips you live. Between the house near Pranburi and the Condo in Sathorn I pay what I posted. Sometimes more. But I have a pool at the house south of HH and we stay there 2 weeks every month and then the 136sqm Condo in Bangkok the other 2 weeks. We also have dryers to dry our clothes in instead of hanging them.  In the US my sister just paid the equivalent of 25k thb for her power bill.

In the UK fuel bills are set to double, and 2 or 3 year fixed rate mortgages ending in the next year or so, jump from ~1.2% to ~6%. That's just for starters. If they can I'd suggest renting out and taking a 12 month sabbatical.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

In the UK fuel bills are set to double, and 2 or 3 year fixed rate mortgages ending in the next year or so, jump from ~1.2% to ~6%. That's just for starters. If they can I'd suggest renting out and taking a 12 month sabbatical.

Renting and taking a sabbatical with two school age children with my sister being a teacher and the husband owning a Bang N Olufsen franchise.....not going to happen.  They have the income, but it is why they canceled the Christmas vacation trip to see us from December 17th to the 3rd of January, the flights here have doubled from what they were pre-covid, so that money will be used for their extra bills.....Not sure how folks who need to heat their homes  in Europe and the east coast of the US to keep them from having damage while they are gone can afford the flights to head here for a few months in addition to the heating bill. 

• Thumbs Up 1