Unaffiliated Rooster has never voted - but reserves the right to speak up

webfact

I think I still have a T-shirt somewhere that says "Don't vote - it only encourages the b*****ds."

The left votes to get a bigger slice of the pie. The right votes to keep what it has, sometimes to get more. I can't think of any politician that survived his/her ensuing election by telling the electorate the pie would be smaller.

IMO politicians are living proof of Lord Acton's observation, power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The only politician I have ever admired was Ted Mack. Anyone reading his history would know he was a man of integrity, a quality very rare in politics.

• Like 2

From The Grauniad:

"A wilting 60p iceberg lettuce from Tesco in a blond wig has been crowned the winner of a bizarre competition after outlasting Liz Truss’s tenuous grip on power.

Seven days ago the Daily Star set up a webcam on the lettuce to see if it would have a longer shelf-life than the prime minister. To add to Truss’s humiliating resignation, the lettuce won".

Rooster

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, finnomick1 said:

Voting can be used as much to vote someone in or to make sure someone doesn't get in, it just depends if you can be bothered to vacate your chair.

What if you don't want any of them to get in?

For example Hillary Vs Trump, Boris Vs Teresa, Cameron Vs Corbyn, Macron Vs Le Pen .......

Edited by BritManToo

You prefer Jeremy Hunt?This man, apart from being a WEF globalist and in the Tory Party under false pretences (like so many of them), was strongly in favour of removing covid positive people from there homes and put in quarantine camps, and mandatory vaccinations. Anyone who favours this kind of tyranny should move to China - which is where Hunt's wife is from by the way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Rooster, some Americans like me may honor you by calling you a "libertarian" (lower case "l"). That is, a "classical liberal", in the revolutionary British tradition of the Levelers, Locke, the Glorious Revolution and Cato's Letters, and in the American tradition of Thomas Jefferson et al. We may want to conserve such perennial values of personal freedom, but please do not ever call me a "conservative". Both Left and Right lust for obscene amounts of power these days. 

Live and let live. Refuse the seduction of acquiring political power to dictate the lives of others. Tolerate peaceful differences. Let me alone, and I will tolerate you. 

Thank you for your above meditation. 

-Zenwind.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Even Bush beat Gore by more than that didn’t he?

I think the Bush margin was something like 784 votes in Fla... but does anyone believe that if they had moved to Fla with 785 Gore voters, that the results would have been different... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Ever wonder what would happen if no one showed up to vote?  In some countries voting is mandatory with civil penalties for those failing to vote. 

The excuse that those running for office are only seeking power is not always true.  Someone needs to be in charge or else you eventually end up with anarchy.  If that is what you want, fine.

I would rather have law and order rather than disorder.

I am surprise that a person of your (Rooster) "intelligence" would say "what difference would one vote make" sorry to inform you but honest elections are made up of one votes. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I do not see the validity of opinion of anyone who sees benefiting from the nation that bore and nurtured them (however unsatisfactorily and cynically viewed to them that may have been) not voting and exercise the freedom and social voice they have been gifted as members of a free society.

I am an Agnostic. I am neither an Atheist nor a Theist/Deist. I have no idea whether or not God exists. As an Agnostic, I've frequently been accused of being a "fence-sitter;" unwilling to take a stand for one view or the other.

For nearly 50 years, now.....

.. since I was 15, or so........... my response has been: "Those are not the only two choices. There is a perfectly valid THIRD choice. That third choice is to confidently say, 'I don't know.'"

Given what I believe, which is......... Any time there is more than one credible answer to a question, no answer can be called "correct,"  I therefore also believe that "I don't know" is, in fact, the most honest answer I can give. Even though.......... many people can't seem to understand that "I don't know" IS a decision, not a stubborn unwillingness to make one!

I tell you all this so that you'll have some sense of my world view; of how I look at things. So............ consequently.......... when I come across a person who says "I choose not to vote".......... I really can't come up with a reason to object to that! 

I've lived my life in full recognition that many things that seem to have only TWO valid choices............  frequently turn out to have THREE or FOUR or FIVE!

--------------

When it comes to voting, I'd much rather someone who is not confident and convinced of a particular choice........... abstain, instead! Don't be a "Believer" or an "Atheist"........... [metaphorically speaking]......... just because someone tells you you're supposed to PICK ONE!

NOT picking is a perfectly valid THIRD CHOICE......... Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Not choosing IS  a choice!

--------------

Now, as far as I'm concerned........ any country that REQUIRES you to vote........... is only giving lip-service to the concept of "freedom!" 

Because if it was "freedom"........... you'd have the freedom not to!

Unless a country has "None of the Above" on their ballot........... they have no business compelling their people to PICK ONE! Because.......... in the absence of a valid "None of the Above" choice........... SILENCE becomes the only remaining way to make that choice!

And in a "free" society.......... shouldn't everyone have the right and opportunity to make the "Agnostic" choice............ to choose, as I do with religion.......... "None of the Above?"

Cheers!

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, finnomick1 said:

There was also a slogan from way back that said " don't vote, a politician will get in "

Voting can be used as much to vote someone in or to make sure someone doesn't get in, it just depends if you can be bothered to vacate your chair.

or put another way;  "it does not matter who you vote for a politician always wins." And people still complain about used car salesman.

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I was born in a nation that saw voting as law, and a duty to self and country (obviously not the strange, bizarre US of A), and perhaps more importantly a privileged right to honour and cherish. A nation where ones choice was honoured and respected despite the outcome of any election. most noticeably because we have a totally sane, transparent, and un-fiddled election system.

Acknowledging the falsities and deceit of some/many who seek political office makes more imperative the need to vote with alacrity and wisdom.

I do not see the validity of opinion of anyone who sees benefiting from the nation that bore and nurtured them (however unsatisfactorily and cynically viewed to them that may have been) not voting and exercise the freedom and social voice they have been gifted as members of a free society. Such a 'democratic (?) right seems to deny and spit in the face of the very freedoms they have enjoyed all their lives.

The narrative that theres' no point because the outcome is rigged, or pre-ordained in some conspiratorial power clutching/retaining, dystopian fatalistic way only serves to support both the truth of this statement. the historical, sociological, and relational notion of making oneself informed and voting wisely for the best candidate all the more prescient. Sorry Rooster but I call a saddened BS to your notions and comments.

The opposition LOVES you!  

7 hours ago, kennw said:

I am surprise that a person of your (Rooster) "intelligence" would say "what difference would one vote make" sorry to inform you but honest elections are made up of one votes. 

Very rare occurrence, but there have been elections where one vote decided the who the winner was.

18 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I was born in a nation that saw voting as law, and a duty to self and country (obviously not the strange, bizarre US of A), and perhaps more importantly a privileged right to honour and cherish. A nation where ones choice was honoured and respected despite the outcome of any election. most noticeably because we have a totally sane, transparent, and un-fiddled election system.

Acknowledging the falsities and deceit of some/many who seek political office makes more imperative the need to vote with alacrity and wisdom.

I do not see the validity of opinion of anyone who sees benefiting from the nation that bore and nurtured them (however unsatisfactorily and cynically viewed to them that may have been) not voting and exercise the freedom and social voice they have been gifted as members of a free society. Such a 'democratic (?) right seems to deny and spit in the face of the very freedoms they have enjoyed all their lives.

The narrative that theres' no point because the outcome is rigged, or pre-ordained in some conspiratorial power clutching/retaining, dystopian fatalistic way only serves to support both the truth of this statement. the historical, sociological, and relational notion of making oneself informed and voting wisely for the best candidate all the more prescient. Sorry Rooster but I call a saddened BS to your notions and comments.

So says an ultra-pedantic Australian!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

I am an Agnostic. I am neither an Atheist nor a Theist/Deist. I have no idea whether or not God exists. As an Agnostic, I've frequently been accused of being a "fence-sitter;" unwilling to take a stand for one view or the other.

For nearly 50 years, now.....

.. since I was 15, or so........... my response has been: "Those are not the only two choices. There is a perfectly valid THIRD choice. That third choice is to confidently say, 'I don't know.'"

Given what I believe, which is......... Any time there is more than one credible answer to a question, no answer can be called "correct,"  I therefore also believe that "I don't know" is, in fact, the most honest answer I can give. Even though.......... many people can't seem to understand that "I don't know" IS a decision, not a stubborn unwillingness to make one!

I tell you all this so that you'll have some sense of my world view; of how I look at things. So............ consequently.......... when I come across a person who says "I choose not to vote".......... I really can't come up with a reason to object to that! 

I've lived my life in full recognition that many things that seem to have only TWO valid choices............  frequently turn out to have THREE or FOUR or FIVE!

--------------

When it comes to voting, I'd much rather someone who is not confident and convinced of a particular choice........... abstain, instead! Don't be a "Believer" or an "Atheist"........... [metaphorically speaking]......... just because someone tells you you're supposed to PICK ONE!

NOT picking is a perfectly valid THIRD CHOICE......... Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Not choosing IS  a choice!

--------------

Now, as far as I'm concerned........ any country that REQUIRES you to vote........... is only giving lip-service to the concept of "freedom!" 

Because if it was "freedom"........... you'd have the freedom not to!

Unless a country has "None of the Above" on their ballot........... they have no business compelling their people to PICK ONE! Because.......... in the absence of a valid "None of the Above" choice........... SILENCE becomes the only remaining way to make that choice!

And in a "free" society.......... shouldn't everyone have the right and opportunity to make the "Agnostic" choice............ to choose, as I do with religion.......... "None of the Above?"

Cheers!

When voting is voluntary, certain groups can intimidate any demographic group that they hate. This has been happening in the good old USofA for over a hundred years. That's why, if you're not a WASP, you're known as the disenfranchised! Blacks, Hispanics, trailer trash, the homeless etc.!

On 10/22/2022 at 5:20 PM, 1FinickyOne said:
On 10/22/2022 at 8:52 AM, webfact said:

Even Bush beat Gore by more than that didn’t he?

I think the Bush margin was something like 784 votes in Fla... but does anyone believe that if they had moved to Fla with 785 Gore voters, that the results would have been different... 

That was the margin, when the recount was stopped. They were recounting a heavily democratic district, then the “Brooks brothers riot” & brother Jeb happens. I have no doubt, if they finished the recount of that district, Al Gore would have won the presidency. And for those blowhards like Rooster who think a vote doesn't matter.  Al Gore, good or ill, does not invade Iraq for WMD. Instead by fluke, history throws up a callow president, the unexpected happens (9/11). The deathstar twins; Rumsfeld and Cheney, yacking in his ear, The rest is history.

Al Gore as president, no Iraq WMD adventure. The first major US clusterpuck of the new millennium is averted. Al was never big on unregulated banking either so a good chance he would have moved on the banks and their CD swap madness before the implosion of 2008. Stopping the recount, declaring Bush winner was thought no big deal at the time. We are still paying the price for that “epic disaster”.

I just love how some politicians will say they are fighters, then resign the very next day. I think the lettuce won.

Thanks for the news update. It was refreshing to see some news from the UK as well. It seems that there are many leaders 

in several countries that are less than popular. Maybe there is very little good leaders left, too much corruption, too much

dishonesty. Then there are the Putins and Xis in the world. What a mess.

11 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

That was the margin, when the recount was stopped. They were recounting a heavily democratic district, then the “Brooks brothers riot” & brother Jeb happens. I have no doubt, if they finished the recount of that district, Al Gore would have won the presidency. And for those blowhards like Rooster who think a vote doesn't matter.  Al Gore, good or ill, does not invade Iraq for WMD. Instead by fluke, history throws up a callow president, the unexpected happens (9/11). The deathstar twins; Rumsfeld and Cheney, yacking in his ear, The rest is history.

Al Gore as president, no Iraq WMD adventure. The first major US clusterpuck of the new millennium is averted. Al was never big on unregulated banking either so a good chance he would have moved on the banks and their CD swap madness before the implosion of 2008. Stopping the recount, declaring Bush winner was thought no big deal at the time. We are still paying the price for that “epic disaster”.

And he called me a blowhard.

Thanks for reading.

Rooster