Thai tourist police explain their role as the country commits to the protection and welfare of tourists

webfact

18 hours ago, webfact said:

They have promised to work towards ensuring the safety of all tourists and building tourism confidence. 

Does that mean protection from drowning at sea while on a pleasure cruise, falling from waterfalls due to lack of safety fences, being attacked by ladyboys, or run over on the roads.

Just asking for clarity.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Thai government, Police, Immigration, etc... are well known  among th Farang community for putting Thai citizens  before any foreigner, so  i find it hard to believe the welfare of any foreign tourist   can expect  to recieve any kind  of protection or welfare, once again it  looks good on paper, nothing more ...

Edited by actonion

21 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Stop using them as cash cows and specifically targeting them for higher prices and driving infringements!

Exactly!  Its a bit like the UN situation.  Everybody knows its just another instrument for the USA's dirty work but then you look bad if you dont join them.

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Does that mean protection from drowning at sea while on a pleasure cruise, falling from waterfalls due to lack of safety fences, being attacked by ladyboys, or run over on the roads.

Just asking for clarity.

But not for fatal accidents while attempting to take selfies.  Selfies, Darwinism at work.

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A further promise was made to listen to the views of tourists to make their experience better next time. 

Yeah, right. That would be an admission that perfection has not been achieved, and improvement is possible. I do not see that happening. Covid was the perfect opportunity for a reset. It did not happen. No improvements were made, nothing was learned. 

Frankly Thailand does not deserve the support anymore. I love alot of the Thai people, and it is a shame for them. But, in a sense they allowed this to happen with their extreme passivity. It is about the leadership, which is so toxic, so lacking in moral authority or the ability to govern effectively, they have brought the nation to it's knees and utterly decimated the once vibrant economy, ruining millions of lives in the process. It was never really about Covid. It was about abject oppression, opportunism, and an unwillingness to surrender power. Just another broken promise, from the broken PM.

It is time to admit that the tourism industry has been sabotaged to the point where it will never recover, to any meaningful extent. Ever. Decades from now it will be limping along, and thousands of large hotels will either be closed, or they will attempt to convert them into low priced condos. Eventually many will be razed to the ground. Trillions of dollars in tourism infrastructure down the toilet. Prayuth, Phiphat will go down in history as the men who destroyed the Thai economy, and set the nation on a scorched earth path toward a position of 80th in the world, in GDP, and a dramatic decline of the standard of living, for all but him, his cronies, and the very rich. 

Millions of tourists will be giving Thailand a pass, well into the coming decades. Tourism in Thailand is essentially finished. They murdered the Golden Goose.

"Extreme passivity" So very true and this is baffling. Another aspect of Thai Style that has allowed the continuation of corruption in Thailand. 

33 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

"Extreme passivity" So very true and this is baffling. Another aspect of Thai Style that has allowed the continuation of corruption in Thailand. 

Passivity is just one aspect of it. There is also extreme hubris, arrogance and nationalism. What really needs to be improved if you are not only the best, but also the center of the universe? Who can possibly live without Thailand? The greatest nation on earth. 

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Covid was the perfect opportunity for a reset. It did not happen. No improvements were made, nothing was learned. 

What will always keep Thailand at standstill is mainly things like eg.:

1. Age over Intelligence:

If you are old here, you are automatically considered to be wise and clever, although your IQ-level in other parts of the world would get you hospitalized.

2. The “Lose Face” concept:

Designed for everyone to NEVER take any personal responsibility and instead blame everybody and everything else. Blocks all possibility of any kind of progress.

3. Corruption and “easy money”:

Is just a natural part of daily life and in everyones mindset. Once you get the chance to get easy money 99,9% grabs the opportunity, as you would be stupid not to. The best way to quickly rise through the social ranks and become “respected”.

4. No social awareness or responsibility:

The majority could care less about their fellow citizens or the society the live in. Therefore also wide-spread accepted corruption. And if you do say things are wrong, you risk going to jail.

5. Money is everything:

Once you have money, you automatically also have power and you can treat others as you like. You are also able to bend all laws and rules. Everyone likes and understands that.

6. Distorted Religion:

Has due to all the above ended up as a business, giving “hope” for the poor, but of course at a price. Not unlikely to see ATMs installed inside the temples, to ensure a donation can always be made. Also a great place for those stealing from all others, to seek quick forgiveness and live with their sins.

7. No International Outlook:

No matter what, Thailand will always be the best in the world. Something goes wrong and you simple apply the “Lose Face” concept and blame the outside world or the foreigners. Foreign expertise is although welcome, as long as it provides opportunities in relation to easy money and corruption. But besides money the ideas of others have little interest.

8. Education

The educational system is designed to feed all the above into the majority who can not afford attending a private school. Keeps “the system” going and people in their place and social-rank.

It is a forever “loop” of NO PROGRESS and will always be so. Opportunities are lost long before they even surface.

That said, I will always love the weather here ???? And if you apply the “Their country - Their rules” principle, then life is also pretty great here. IF you have money of course…

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, khunpa said:

What will always keep Thailand at standstill is mainly things like eg.:

1. Age over Intelligence:

If you are old here, you are automatically considered to be wise and clever, although your IQ-level in other parts of the world would get you hospitalized.

2. The “Lose Face” concept:

Designed for everyone to NEVER take any personal responsibility and instead blame everybody and everything else. Blocks all possibility of any kind of progress.

3. Corruption and “easy money”:

Is just a natural part of daily life and in everyones mindset. Once you get the chance to get easy money 99,9% grabs the opportunity, as you would be stupid not to. The best way to quickly rise through the social ranks and become “respected”.

4. No social awareness or responsibility:

The majority could care less about their fellow citizens or the society the live in. Therefore also wide-spread accepted corruption. And if you do say things are wrong, you risk going to jail.

5. Money is everything:

Once you have money, you automatically also have power and you can treat others as you like. You are also able to bend all laws and rules. Everyone likes and understands that.

6. Distorted Religion:

Has due to all the above ended up as a business, giving “hope” for the poor, but of course at a price. Not unlikely to see ATMs installed inside the temples, to ensure a donation can always be made. Also a great place for those stealing from all others, to seek quick forgiveness and live with their sins.

7. No International Outlook:

No matter what, Thailand will always be the best in the world. Something goes wrong and you simple apply the “Lose Face” concept and blame the outside world or the foreigners. Foreign expertise is although welcome, as long as it provides opportunities in relation to easy money and corruption. But besides money the ideas of others have little interest.

8. Education

The educational system is designed to feed all the above into the majority who can not afford attending a private school. Keeps “the system” going and people in their place and social-rank.

It is a forever “loop” of NO PROGRESS and will always be so. Opportunities are lost long before they even surface.

That said, I will always love the weather here ???? And if you apply the “Their country - Their rules” principle, then life is also pretty great here. IF you have money of course…

Outstanding summary. Very dark and sad. But, alot of truth. One thing I will add is that I don't think a nation ever stands still. It either moves forward, or it moves backwards. I think Thailand has been moving backwards for many years now. The whole summary makes it seem pretty bleak, in terms of hope for progress. 

I guess as long as we keep our heads in the sand (I am striving for that, daily) one can be quite fulfilled here. It is a very good life, that many of us have here, as long as we have the cash, as you wisely stated. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Outstanding summary. Very dark and sad. But, alot of truth. One thing I will add is that I don't think a nation ever stands still. It either moves forward, or it moves backwards. I think Thailand has been moving backwards for many years now. The whole summary makes it seem pretty bleak, in terms of hope for progress. 

I guess as long as we keep our heads in the sand (I am striving for that, daily) one can be quite fulfilled here. It is a very good life, that many of us have here, as long as we have the cash, as you wisely stated. 

I wholeheartedly agree with you except for the "lose face" mentality.  This is common in every asian country and simply will not be changed ever.  

The internal seething towards foreigners needs to change and is changeable - it needs to come from the top.  So far I don't see it at all.  There is "the truth" and then there is THE TRUTH.  

On 10/22/2022 at 5:50 PM, jaiyen said:

So have the police got all those stolen guns back yet ?? Didnt think so. Thats great for tourist confidence when police steal guns to sell.

I don't think that the 

Tourist Police are routinely armed.

No weapons to trade means that they have to concentrate on other income streams...

I just crossed the border Laos to Thailand. I was filling out my card for entry. I was meticulous with every thing , every question. A Thai guy coming from Laos asked to borrow my pen when I finished. I watched him fill out his card. He only put his name down and gave the pen back to me. I followed him in line . Not a question was asked he was let threw. I gave mine and was grilled for about 2-3 minutes.  

After a month in Laos, wonderful place by the way. I came back to the Thai consulate to apply for a Thai tourist visa so I could come spend a couple of months before going home. Not one Thai or Laos was refused that I saw.  All the younger foreigners that I saw in line were refused.  

I have two bank accounts in the US I use for travel, one is a small account basically a holding account. I had about 9K US dollars in it. I had all my paperwork filled out and copy's. I was grilled about 5 minutes on the bank account. And was made to highlight my monthly income and monthly balance. 

They have gone a little to far as far as I am concerned.  

Just a pain in the A$$. 

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 4:55 PM, spidermike007 said:

This is likely the number one reason their level of desperation to cling to power is so high. The power itself? Likely very intoxicating, but largely secondary. For men without souls, money is everything. 

Absolutely spot on.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

I just crossed the border Laos to Thailand. I was filling out my card for entry. I was meticulous with every thing , every question. A Thai guy coming from Laos asked to borrow my pen when I finished. I watched him fill out his card. He only put his name down and gave the pen back to me. I followed him in line . Not a question was asked he was let threw. I gave mine and was grilled for about 2-3 minutes.  

After a month in Laos, wonderful place by the way. I came back to the Thai consulate to apply for a Thai tourist visa so I could come spend a couple of months before going home. Not one Thai or Laos was refused that I saw.  All the younger foreigners that I saw in line were refused.  

I have two bank accounts in the US I use for travel, one is a small account basically a holding account. I had about 9K US dollars in it. I had all my paperwork filled out and copy's. I was grilled about 5 minutes on the bank account. And was made to highlight my monthly income and monthly balance. 

They have gone a little to far as far as I am concerned.  

Just a pain in the A$$. 

Mate it was like this at the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh 20 years ago. 

Get a jumped up little, inadequate, xenophobic Thai male in charge as Consul and this is what you get.

• Like 1