Legal abortions to be available at 110 locations in Thailand from Oct 27th

webfact

image.jpeg

From October 27th, women in Thailand in their 12th to 20th weeks of pregnancy can get an abortion legally at any of the 110 hospitals and clinics offering the services across the country, subject to prior consultation with experts.

The legal terminations are in line with an edict issued by the Ministry of Public Health regarding examinations and consultations. The change is intended to address the problem many women face when they feel they are not ready to have a child, but do not have a channel through which they can seek consultation.

Dr. Boonyarit Sookrat, director of the Bureau of Reproductive Health at the Department of Health, said that the Public Health Ministry’s edict on abortions had been approved by the Thai Medical Council and is in line with the constitutional principle that an individual has rights and liberties over their life and body. He also pointed out that the doctors performing abortions within the new regulations will not be subject to legal action for performing a termination.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/legal-abortions-to-be-available-at-110-locations-in-thailand-from-oct-27th/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

I know there are many on here of a left thinking persuasion who'll disagree with me, but I don't care and certainly won't bother to argue the toss, but this news disgusts me. Abortion in my opinion, is the premeditated murder of a child. Humankind seems to be regressing.

I agree with you. My belief is that once the brain turns on and brain waves can be detected, you’re dealing with an individual SENTIENT human being.  At that point, aborting the baby is MURDER. 

Sad reflection on Thailand, a Theravada Buddhist country. 

So much for the First Precept.   ???????? ???????? ????????  ☸️  Namo Buddhaya 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

From October 27th, women in Thailand in their 12th to 20th weeks of pregnancy can get an abortion legally at any of the 110 hospitals and clinics offering the services across the country, subject to prior consultation with experts.

Good move. Although this will not make a huge amount of difference as those seeking abortions in this period are normally due to medical reasons and the expert medical opinion needed helps to determine that and whether it is necessary.

Currently  92.7% of abortions were performed at below 13 weeks, with 65 percent occurring within the first eight weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why only the 12th week forward? I think it should be the opposite. Legal up to the 12th week. Anyone can decide by then. 

I think up to the 12th week is already legal & in place but this new arrangement is for as stated after the 12th week. The article should read that but typical Thai reporting !! 12 - 20 weeks is usually for medical reasons which makes sense and should be a woman's right globally if you ask me. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There are no explicit prohibitions of a woman's ability to abort under Islamic law, although various sects are either permissive or forbid it. It seems Judaism and Christianity are the principal opponents.

Personally, I believe it is the woman's decision, which is usually based on the unwillingness to bring up a child in poverty, and men should stay the hell out of it.

Not equivalent. Judaism is much less restrictive than Christianity. Basically, and correctly based on simple logic, in Jewish tradition fetuses are not give as high a status as those that have been born. 

Judaism and abortion - Wikipedia

Of course it's possible but I've never heard of a Jew blowing up an aborion clinic.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

I know there are many on here of a left thinking persuasion who'll disagree with me, but I don't care and certainly won't bother to argue the toss, but this news disgusts me. Abortion in my opinion, is the premeditated murder of a child. Humankind seems to be regressing.

I don't agree with your opinion and can't be bothered arguing with you.

Just one question, Are you male or female?

3 hours ago, Catoni said:

I agree with you. My belief is that once the brain turns on and brain waves can be detected, you’re dealing with an individual SENTIENT human being.  At that point, aborting the baby is MURDER. 

Sad reflection on Thailand, a Theravada Buddhist country. 

So much for the First Precept.   ????????????????????????  ☸️  Namo Buddhaya 

Murder, eh? Not vegetarians, either, speaking of violating the precept.