Why are many visas based on age?

What country doesn't regulate by age? In the US you have to be minimum retirement age before you can draw social security. All "Senior" discounts are based on age. OP just seems to be a bit anti-rules. I see no difference in "Retirement Age" for whatever service you may choose to discuss.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, timoti said:

There are many young people who don't have to work or young people who have enough money to do whatever they want.

Then they can retire in Canada, US, Australia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Portugal, Brazil or wherever. I'm sure the visas are easier there????

22 hours ago, timoti said:

I mean they require minimum age for retirement and wealthy pensioner visas. Why is that so? Why can't people retire much younger? Or why do they assume you have to be a certain age to be wealthy?

You can, the new wealthy foreigners LTR-visa is a great opportunity, or you can use the for quite some time existing Elite Card...:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

That is not even close to the truth... 

In CM [and other areas where there are nearly no farang] there are check points full of Thai being fined for not having helmets... 

Must be the only place in the country.  But then again some farangs walk around with pink classes and they don't really see what exactly is happening in this country.

• Like 1

Because just like many other types of laws, they are written decades ago, you could say to be the ''old world'' would make it very uncommon for people to work remotely or retire younger so far away etc. 

To add that visa's were never an issue until the big changes since Uncle P., thanks to corruption or just repeatedly paying the max 20K fine, not having helped to push changing immigration laws to modern times. 

But we are close, it is just that progress here is turtle speed, might still take 5 years more before we see proper change. But just like with cannabis, it can also be changed out of nowhere. Nobody would have thought you can good indoor anywhere without having to be scared either, if you told them 5 years ago.

They will need younger people as old people become more scarce.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

You can marry a foreign lass and obtain permanent residency or citizenship in a number of more progressive countries.  Just not here.

See how you go in Australia with that theory. 

Can't believe some of the "privilege folk" posts in this thread. 

58 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Because just like many other types of laws, they are written decades ago, you could say to be the ''old world'' would make it very uncommon for people to work remotely or retire younger so far away etc. 

To add that visa's were never an issue until the big changes since Uncle P., thanks to corruption or just repeatedly paying the max 20K fine, not having helped to push changing immigration laws to modern times. 

But we are close, it is just that progress here is turtle speed, might still take 5 years more before we see proper change. But just like with cannabis, it can also be changed out of nowhere. Nobody would have thought you can good indoor anywhere without having to be scared either, if you told them 5 years ago.

They will need younger people as old people become more scarce.

So Obtaining a retirement Visa at 50 still isn't good enough in your view.  If they want the younger crowd it seems they are already trying to lure them in with the LTR Visa's for a Wealthy Global Citizen, or a Work from Thailand Visa.  I retired at 50 myself and have a lifetime pension of over the amount required for the LTR Wealthy Pensioner, and so I just jumped at it and obtained it, good for 10 years.  Could have bought the Thai Elite Visa but then why waste 1 million Baht, when this one only costs me 50K Thb for 10 years......

3 hours ago, Gerard052 said:

Must be the only place in the country.  But then again some farangs walk around with pink classes and they don't really see what exactly is happening in this country.

not just CM but I lived in a small Thai city w/near no farang... they had check points and were fining people for no helmets... it is not unusual everywhere and has nothing to do w/colored glasses... or other cliches

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thailand is one of the very few countries which does allow this..... 

Pay for a Thai Elite Visa... you can stay for 20 years !!.....  (or if you joined early enough, the rest of your life).....

It's not an investment... its a payment (Thai Elite)

600,000 for 5 years.... and upwards to 2 million baht for 20 years with perks. 

If someone is ‘wealthy enough to do what they want’....  and they want to stay in Thailand, this is not an issue 

If they can’t pay that, they are clearly not wealthy enough to do what they want and are therefore likely to be looking to source income through other means...  balance of probability, they are going to live and work here illegally. 

I was talking about 500k usd as the post i quoted you need to invest that much in the country.

6 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Half a million what ? If half a million Thai baht that doesn't amount to much against most other currencies.

Usd as post i quoted mentioned that as a requirement.

7 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I have a friend here from the UK.  He's 21 with a net worth of around 3 million GBP from crypto. 

He rents a condo in Bangkok for 150K THB per month and is here on a tourist visa.  When his visa is up, he leaves for a month or more to travel to other countries and has no issue getting another tourist visa when he comes back to Bangkok. 

That is also what I did before I turned 50.   3 weeks here, 1 week in Singapore. 3 weeks here, 1 week in Hong Kong. etc

Easy to do if you are young and have cash.

Yes i have many friends who have several million dollar net worth in Singapore which is where i live. Singapore is one of the most crypto friendly country with 0 tax so can't beat that. Even vitalik buterin is there.

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why rent when you can have something for a lifetime and can hand off to your kids..............

Why lock your money when you can grow it faster than real estate.. many people here don't understand the concept of investing it seems.

And not everyone plans to have kids.

5 hours ago, paulbrow said:

What country doesn't regulate by age? In the US you have to be minimum retirement age before you can draw social security. All "Senior" discounts are based on age. OP just seems to be a bit anti-rules. I see no difference in "Retirement Age" for whatever service you may choose to discuss.

And what's that got to do with visas? You need to go back to school friend.

37 minutes ago, timoti said:

Yes i have many friends who have several million dollar net worth in Singapore which is where i live. Singapore is one of the most crypto friendly country with 0 tax so can't beat that. Even vitalik buterin is there.

No wonder you received 12 laugh emoji on your OP.

Along with nothing positive.

Your thread is a nonsense. 

You state....

"Yes i have many friends who have several million dollar net worth in Singapore which is where i live".

Ludicrous. With that level of wealth there are options already outlined.

54 minutes ago, timoti said:

Why lock your money when you can grow it faster than real estate.. many people here don't understand the concept of investing it seems.

And not everyone plans to have kids.

Yet if you have a portfolio and other assets that are also growing exponentially why not buy.  I have enough to last me 30 more years and then some and then have properties and so on to hand down both in the US and here in Thailand.  The family trust is doing quite well.  I have 3 grown children who are all major players in there fields. I guess what I am trying to say is that not everyone is starting out and is set already so buying a property is an investment for the future for not only oneself. You sure as hell can not take it with you.

They want to milk out as much money from people as possible.

Overall, people of a certain age the research will show have more money then others, others will have more money at a certain age with health insurance and can afford a larger deposit in a Thai bank, younger people will be attracted by an elite card to impress people, etc.

If it's all based on income or savings and not age, they lose money overall because they can't get more out of those who have more.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

They want to milk out as much money from people as possible.

Overall, people of a certain age the research will show have more money then others, others will have more money at a certain age with health insurance and can afford a larger deposit in a Thai bank, younger people will be attracted by an elite card to impress people, etc.

If it's all based on income or savings and not age, they lose money overall because they can't get more out of those who have more.

Thx but aren't retired people pay less than younger ones for visa? The retired are supposed to have more money but they pay less for the visa.

For example showing 800k in bank account is cheaper than spending 500k. Not to mention agents allow retired people to not have 800k in their bank through other means.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No wonder you received 12 laugh emoji on your OP.

Along with nothing positive.

Your thread is a nonsense. 

You state....

"Yes i have many friends who have several million dollar net worth in Singapore which is where i live".

Ludicrous. With that level of wealth there are options already outlined.

Yes but those people choose to live in sg coz of tax not visa. I am just saying they are missing out on some demographic. Not everyone wants to shell out 500k for visa is what i am saying.

It should be the same for all people regardless of age. More money = more privileges, not more age

2 hours ago, timoti said:

Thx but aren't retired people pay less than younger ones for visa? The retired are supposed to have more money but they pay less for the visa.

For example showing 800k in bank account is cheaper than spending 500k. Not to mention agents allow retired people to not have 800k in their bank through other means.

There's too many factors to consider.

The point is it's setup to get the maximum amount of money, not for your convenience.

On 10/25/2022 at 9:08 PM, Myran said:

Don't know what you're talking about.

Neither do I. The fact you only need 400k in the bank for an extension based on marriage versus 800k for a visa based on retirement would seem to suggest the opposite: that they expect you'll be sharing expenses with your wife. There's absolutely no requirement to prove you are supporting your wife in any way or form when applying for this type of extension.