MP To Swim Across Chao Phraya River To Raise Money For Flood Victims

webfact

image.jpeg

by TNR Staff

MAVERICK MP Mongkolkit Suksintharanon is following in the footsteps of Thai star Phakin Khamwilaisak, or Tono, whose charity swim across the Mekong river to Laos and back raised 56 million baht for two hospitals by gearing up to swim across the Chao Phraya river to raise money for flood victims, TV Channel 7 said Monday (Oct. 24).

Mongkolkit, who is the head of Thai Civilized Party, said in a Facebook post that his project, “One Man on Chao Phraya River,” is being undertaken because he had seen millions of people suffering in many provinces and in desperate need of food and clean drinking water.

He added that on Loy Krathong day, Nov. 8, he will swim back and forth the Chao Phraya river in Bangkok wearing only swimming trucks.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/10/24/mp-to-swim-across-chao-phraya-river-to-raise-money-for-flood-victims/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-10-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its not a good idea to encourage people to swim , considering the amount of drownings in Thailand .

How many kids will see this and decide to try and swim across a river ?

I'm more concerned he may dissolve rather than drown in that water.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Well you can always do what I did and take a few local kids to the pool for swimming lessons. Once a week for 6 weeks with a Thai instructor and 4 more kids can swim. ????

Well done, good for you, nice post to read to start the day in a happy way!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Thais are adopting the most ghastly western gimmicks..????

Gimmicks?

Surely not ... It's only a couple of months since he challenged PM Prayut to a bare-knuckled kickboxing match for the prime ministership.

POLITICS: MP challenges PM Prayut to kickboxing for prime ministership

5 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Sounds fair to me.

Jump into the river and be immediately taken 50 kilometres downstream.

Last seen wearing speedos and a maniacal grin. Swimming a river in flood is supremely foolish. While the surface could indicate an easy passage, what is not seen is the underwater turbulence which makes swimming such a difficult task in these conditions. Fatigue eventually has its fatal results.. Not recommended - wait for better swimming conditions and use the time to more effectively fund raise.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Mongkolkit, who is the head of Thai Civilized Party, said in a Facebook post that his project, “One Man on Chao Phraya River,” is being undertaken because he had seen millions of people suffering in many provinces and in desperate need of food and clean drinking water.

I swear I can hear violins and angels singing, with harps in the background.

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its not a good idea to encourage people to swim , considering the amount of drownings in Thailand .

How many kids will see this and decide to try and swim across a river ?

Not mine...

14 hours ago, carlyai said:

Well you can always do what I did and take a few local kids to the pool for swimming lessons. Once a week for 6 weeks with a Thai instructor and 4 more kids can swim. ????

That assumes that

1   You can find a pool to use

2   You can find a competent instructor

It may well be possible in big cities and tourist areas but unlikely in most rural and non-tourist areas.

The nearest swimming pool to where I live is about 18km and you have to pay to use it. I don't think that there is a qualified instructor either.

I did a Google search and there actually is a public swimming pool in KPP, only 65 km away from where we live.