Thai cabinet open up country for sale to foreigners - but there's a 40 MB catch

webfact

44 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

A Thai has to invest $500,000 to get a multi year retirement visa in the USA. 

Retirees here have it too easy in my opinion, leading to moaning at any difficulty, like spending 1 hour a year and $50 in immigration.

Yes! Normaly people from 3rd world countrys has little more difficulties to entrance "modern" world!

You have always same record running in your respons! And whitch Thai anyway want or try get retimremet visa in USA!? Red Bull boss family and friends! That really not concern normal Thai people! And what like USA get if they let thousands Thai farmers entrance in!? More immigrant problems. But Thailand need farangs money to buy new subs and other sht.

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yes! Normaly people from 3rd world countrys has little more difficulties to entrance "modern" world!

You have always same record running in your respons! And whitch Thai anyway want or try get retimremet visa in USA!? Red Bull boss family and friends! That really not concern normal Thai people! And what like USA get if they let thousands Thai farmers entrance in!? More immigrant problems. But Thailand need farangs money to buy new subs and other sht.

No, as a Brit, I would also have to invest $500,000 for a retirement visa in the USA. 

Same in Australia, who are very choosy who they let in, unlike Thailand.

Until there is there is some kind of reciprocal agreement, Thailand will make it hard for foreigners to buy land. 

I know a few Thais who would want to retire to the US and Oz, but they can't. 

• Haha 2

Retirees having a spare 40 million baht! lmao

40 million baht just to own my own home and land it sits on. 

why would I? if anything it makes me feel more determined NEVER to buy but only rent. much safer and no real term commitment to put up with anything - problem neighbours, dogs, construction, karaoke, loudspeakers, bars, noise of any sort, boundary or legal issues etc that can start up at any time and totally blight life.

NAH!

3 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

How is that different from the US, the EU, or any other country? I have yet to find that one country where magically there’s an insurance for never-changing laws.

Last time I checked a foreigner (Thai) doesn't need to invest £1,000,000 in the uk to buy land to build a house on infact even buying estates of hundreds of acres!!! Then have that land ownership reviewed after 5 years....

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Retirees having a spare 40 million baht! lmao

40 million baht just to own my own home and land it sits on. 

why would I? if anything it makes me feel more determined NEVER to buy but only rent. much safer and no real term commitment to put up with anything - problem neighbours, dogs, construction, karaoke, loudspeakers, bars, noise of any sort, boundary or legal issues etc that can start up at any time and totally blight life.

NAH!

Back in 2002 a very wise expat told me "never ever invest in Thailand any more than you can afford to walk away from and that was my mantra.  Even though I built a 3 bedroom bungalow the equation I used was expected rent over 10 years (I built the house with 7 year rent and we left Thailand after 8 years).

3 hours ago, webfact said:

One of the conditions includes an investment value of at least 40 million baht that must be retained for 3 years. The ministerial regulation opens the door for a greater range of investment options for foreigners and can be revised every 5 years.

40,000,000 divided by (5*12)  comes to about 666,666.66 baht per month. Renting does look heavenly. 

That 49% of a condo building was relaxed for a while; then reinstated so those over the limit allotment HAD to sell to a Thai.  Just wait til after 5 years (if)the law is rescinded and you got to sell your Rai to a Thai. That's gonna hurt, even rich retirees.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

A Thai has to invest $500,000 to get a multi year retirement visa in the USA. 

Retirees here have it too easy in my opinion, leading to moaning at any difficulty, like spending 1 hour a year and $50 in immigration.

For US citizens it is not a very attractive place for retirement.  I am here visiting and when I leave I will never come back ( nothing against Thailand and the people what so ever).  Other places are so much better for US citizens IMHO.  With legal land purchases and in some countries resident health benefits.  But, I agree I think that all US citizens should be penalized 1/4 of their SS benefits the first year of retirement here. Then after that 50% and loss of all health benefits in the US. 

Also all Thai nationals retiring back to Thailand from the US should loose 50% and all benefits the first two years and decline 5% a year after that. 

Edited by Gknrd
  • Haha 2

As always, a good plan ruined by being too restrictive and too expensive to attract many takers.  Just totally clueless.   Should have been around 5 million baht.  Instead of a few takers for the 40 million plan, you would get far more going for the 5MB plan, which would result in far more people importing their foreign money into Thailand and spending that money in Thailand, with a much bigger benefit in the long run.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

Not sure I'd be brave enough to jump headlong into this offer. No sir-eeeeee Bob. All I see is risk, risk, risk, a truckload of red tape and a whole lot of "gotchas"

And it isnt like you can transfer the money out of the country. For that amount you probably need permission from the BoT

I think as an investment it does not seem unreasonable. But I think for people to invest they would have to have several million bucks in the bank to make it remotely worthwhile. A million in bonds. A million in urban area land and modern house. A million to play with. 

Rooster

This could be inflationary. I imagine some property companies setting aside land for foreigners and putting this THB 40m price tag on many plots, raising land prices in the vicinity exponentially for all Thais. Thais will be very willing to sell their land to real estate agents and retire of course but expect some to complain bitterly of foreigners coming here and stealing their heritage.