Chonburi Football Club’s goalkeeper apologizes for fatal drunk driving accident, vows to quit drinking for life

anchadian

3 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

before again doing something totally selfish, and devoid consideration toward others.

there is a culture here for drink driving - go out and about town at the bars nightclubs etc and you will see everyone including foreigners are persistantly going out and drink driving - the police do it - everyone does it and it will never stop, TIT 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mikeyfromoz said:

Yep, if they make the choice to drive while drunk, then they chose ALL of the possible consequences associated with driving while drunk, so killing someone while deliberately choosing to drive while drunk is effectively murder...!!! 

Murder has to involve a direct intention to kill ,not just risk the possibility ,so no it can’t be murder,but certainly manslaughter and at the higher end given choosing to drink then drive is a known risk. In U.K. causing death by dangerous driving attracts a 14 year sentence so effectively close to the penalty for murder.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Will he , or is he just trying for a lesser sentence , hopefully not prison ,

personally I would make an example of him ,he needs to do time in

jail , not 6 months or a year , minimum 5 years , until the authorities

start taking DUI more seriously , more people are going to die needlessly .

regards Worgeordie 

couldn't agree more ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Murder has to involve a direct intention to kill ,not just risk the possibility ,so no it can’t be murder,but certainly manslaughter and at the higher end given choosing to drink then drive is a known risk. In U.K. causing death by dangerous driving attracts a 14 year sentence so effectively close to the penalty for murder.

will it be a case of do you know who I am ....I'm a celebrity get me out of here ..I'm sure deals will be made 

The driver hopefully will be appropriately prosecuted and sentenced with DUI, culpable driving causing death and GBH or similar.  I hope the deceased's family and surviving victim are sufficiently compensated as well (doubt it).  

Driving drunk is culturally condoned in Thailand, albeit illegal.  The flow-on effect of this even affects foreigners holidaying and living here.  I see plenty of bars and clubs around Pattaya with cars and motorbikes lined up outside.  

We can easily fall into a trap of having convenient transport by bringing our own transport and running the gauntlet home until something terrible happens.  

Australia where I am from and other countries went through this decades ago until culture changed.  Thailand really needs to work hard on changing that.  Adding a layer of complexity now is trying to change a culture of drink driving during legalization of cannabis, that also causes impaired driving.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie 

Not from personal experience but from clients I have known in the UK, in 2 cases defending them on civil claims for damages for causing death whilst drunk driving and several more for causing death by dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention having been convicted of these criminal offences. Backed by insurance they had no financial concerns about the civil claims but every one of them was  deeply remorseful and psychologically scarred by what they had done even though this would not have and did not make any difference to the amount of damage awarded to the victims.

Killing someone through you own stupidity or just a lapse in care is deeply psychologically scarring for most perps, Not saying all, there will always be exceptions. The sociopaths.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

A very sad situation in football star goalie kills a lady jogging and injured another so what do you think the odds so be of a long sentence here in Thailand I have a very good idea what will finally happen and most people read the article probably already know what will happen in court  TIT

Hm,..Nobody knows what is going to happen. maybe they will make a example of this case and punish him severely !!!???

That will do it.  You're absolved of all responsibility.  Pay the families 2000 THB each and all is forgiven.  Or - run.  You can outlast the Statutes of Limitations.  Look that the Red Bull kid.  Head for the border!

• Like 1

My grandfather was a GP doctor and surgeon in a small Pennsylvania town.  One day, while rushing to the hospital, he hit and killed a woman pedestrian.  His license was suspended for life but he was allowed to keep practicing medicine.  He had to hire a permanent chauffeur to drive him around for the rest of his life.  In his private practice, he treated a lot of farmers and laborers for free or for a very low fee so I think that he paid his debt to society in this way.  He also donated a wing to the town hospital.  He didn't have much money when he died.

For this football player, I think that a judge should create an appropriate sentence that would included a life-long ban on driving.  That would impose a life-long tax on his income.  A long-term requirement for doing public service would also be appropriate.   His life doesn't need to be destroyed but he should pay appropriate penalties.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 11:15 AM, anchadian said:

A famous goalkeeper from the Chonburi Football Club has apologized for the fatal car accident that killed a 62-year-old female jogger and severely injured another this morning, pledging he will quit drinking for the rest of his life.

Lock him up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2022 at 10:31 AM, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie 

I agree it's just crocodile tears, he needs to be imprisoned for a couple of years, but I doubt that will happen.

• Like 1