Immigration Passport Stamp - Typo Error?

Just now, FARANG KIWI said:

Exactly!  T.I.T!

Sathorn is spelled Sathon and many other locations are spelled differently, so as you say This is Thailand.  Once spotted the error and told someone of importance and they just shrugged there shoulders and said not my issue.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It does mean what you suggest.

You are fine. 

The "admitted up to date" is all that counts.

Received mine last week. 

Has same spelling.

IMG_20221028_180254_885.jpg

It's not the same spelling, though. "HERN IN" vs. "HEREIN"

• Haha 1

What it actually shows is there has never been "codified" translation from Thai to English.

Also proof-reading by a manufacturer of rubber stamps to supply Immigration with English Text, fell off the radar.

Further, The logistics team behind Thai Immigration accepted them and have distributed them for use. 

You wouldn't want a similar stamp "HEROIN OFFENDERS WILL BE PROSECUTED"

Kind of sends a false flag if you visit Bali, Kuala Lumphur etc...

Expect the rubber glove upon arrival.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sathorn is spelled Sathon and many other locations are spelled differently, so as you say This is Thailand.  Once spotted the error and told someone of importance and they just shrugged there shoulders and said not my issue.

Another example i've seen, on a giant overhead road sign    Pat  Taya.

It's been shared before, there is no official translation of city/town etc., names Thai to English.

Also mentioned for many purposes the sign shop is given the name/message in Thai and the shop owner / shop employee is responsible to do the translation to English.  

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

It's been shared before, there is no official translation of city/town etc., names Thai to English.

There are official transcriptions set by the Royal Institute. However, they're used inconsistently even by government agencies. Also, English-speaking foreigners often object when they are used because they don't understand the system accounting for Thai sounds that aren't distinguished in English. For example, I think the official Royal Institute transcription for Pattaya would be Phatthaya, with the 'Ph' and 'th' showing the use of aspirated sounds. The aspirated-unaspirated distinction doesn't affect meaning in English but it does in Thai. 

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is that "there" instead of "their"?

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

A person for whom English is not the first language would be proof reading the mould for making rubber stamps in reverse. Imagine, as a foreigner, trying to read Thai script in reverse. ????

You can practice from inside a shop or massage parlour by trying to read what's written on the outside of the window. When I'm bored, I'm very very bored!

And they will know to test the stamp by a few trial stamps, I guess. If they can't read it, well, there's a reason, right?