Elon Musk's Twitter roils with hate speech as trolls test new limits

onthedarkside

Musk has owned Twitter under a week and big names are already leaving the platform, complaining about a hate surge, and calling for tighter regulation

"That didn’t take long. It’s been four days since Elon Musk finalized his $44 billion takeover of Twitter, and already he’s facing pushback from celebrities, lawmakers, and advertisers worried about how the social network will change under his leadership, even as many conservative voices rejoice."

https://fortune.com/2022/10/30/elon-musk-twitter-pushback-celebrities-lawmaker-advertisers/

GM Temporarily Suspends Twitter Advertising After Musk Takeover

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-28/gm-temporarily-suspends-twitter-advertising-after-musk-takeover

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Elon tweeted this directly to Hilary Clinton. A conspiracy theory about the pelosi attack from a website that is well known for its false claim that Hilary died and a body double was being used to replace her. Yes scary and sick. Probably why he later decided to delete it.

As smart as Elon is, he also acts like a spoiled child and has some of the same attributes as the Orangeman in the way he spouts nonsensical things like his 420 comment and so on......I guess it is a sign of the times we live in.  I know I have spouted nonsensical things a few times here on these pages, for which I am sure are from a lack of control which I sometimes have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, I did read that the first time you posted it three  hours ago in this thread .

We are not talking about Hilary Clinton dying and a body double , we are talking about Musk and Pelosi , and whether theres more to the story than is being reported 

Back that up with facts...

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, I did read that the first time you posted it three  hours ago in this thread .

We are not talking about Hilary Clinton dying and a body double , we are talking about Musk and Pelosi , and whether theres more to the story than is being reported 

From my post that you responded to and quoted

"The Times, in a 2021 editorial, noted that the Observer "is notorious for publishing false news. In 2016, for example, it claimed that Hillary Clinton had died and that a body double had been sent to debate Donald Trump."

Edited by Bkk Brian

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

As smart as Elon is, he also acts like a spoiled child and has some of the same attributes as the Orangeman in the way he spouts nonsensical things like his 420 comment and so on......I guess it is a sign of the times we live in.  I know I have spouted nonsensical things a few times here on these pages, for which I am sure are from a lack of control which I sometimes have.

Should nothing be questioned ?

She we all accept what is written in the media ?

Famous people never try to cover anything up ?

Obey Obey Obey

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

From my post that you responded to:

"The Times, in a 2021 editorial, noted that the Observer "is notorious for publishing false news. In 2016, for example, it claimed that Hillary Clinton had died and that a body double had been sent to debate Donald Trump."

That is now three times you have posted that . 

Not sure why you keep posting it , its off topic 

• Like 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is now three times you have posted that . 

Not sure why you keep posting it , its off topic 

Fits in perfectly well with the OP, that's why I posted it: Elon Musk's Twitter roils with hate speech as trolls test new limits

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Looks like Musk himself is testing the new limits.

This is what happens when someone with little self control and a huge ego takes over twitter. Elon setting a low bar on future standards.

Elon Musk spreads unfounded conspiracy theory about Paul Pelosi attack on Twitter

Days after taking control of Twitter, Elon Musk posted and later deleted an unfounded conspiracy theory on Sunday about the attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Musk tweeted Sunday morning to his 112 million followers that "there is a tiny possibility there might be more to this story than meets the eye" and posted a link to an unfounded story offering a conspiracy theory about the attack. The story was posted in the Santa Monica Observer, a publication known for spreading misinformation.

The Times, in a 2021 editorial, noted that the Observer "is notorious for publishing false news. In 2016, for example, it claimed that Hillary Clinton had died and that a body double had been sent to debate Donald Trump.

https://news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-spreads-unfounded-conspiracy-173145773.html

Musk Posts Then Deletes Tweet Spreading Conspiracy Theory on Pelosi Attack

Episode shows pressures ahead as free-speech goals run up against Musk’s pledges to advertisers

The episode underscored the pressures that Musk, a self-styled “free speech absolutist,” now faces in running the popular social media website — particularly in how to place limits on misinformation and hate speech on its service. Musk has pledged to advertisers that Twitter won’t become a “free-for-all hellscape” under his leadership, but at the same time pronounced that unfettered speech should be the norm on the site. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-30/musk-posts-then-deletes-tweet-spreading-conspiracy-theory-on-pelosi-attack

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Fits in perfectly well with the OP, that's why I posted it: Elon Musk's Twitter roils with hate speech as trolls test new limits

I don't use twitter , was there no racist hate speech trolls  last week when Musk wasn't the owner ?

Is this a new thing and what is Musk going to do about it ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Looks like Musk himself is testing the new limits.

This is what happens when someone with little self control and a huge ego takes over twitter. Elon setting a low bar on future standards.

Elon Musk spreads unfounded conspiracy theory about Paul Pelosi attack on Twitter

Days after taking control of Twitter, Elon Musk posted and later deleted an unfounded conspiracy theory on Sunday about the attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Musk tweeted Sunday morning to his 112 million followers that "there is a tiny possibility there might be more to this story than meets the eye" and posted a link to an unfounded story offering a conspiracy theory about the attack. The story was posted in the Santa Monica Observer, a publication known for spreading misinformation.

The Times, in a 2021 editorial, noted that the Observer "is notorious for publishing false news. In 2016, for example, it claimed that Hillary Clinton had died and that a body double had been sent to debate Donald Trump.

https://news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-spreads-unfounded-conspiracy-173145773.html

Musk Posts Then Deletes Tweet Spreading Conspiracy Theory on Pelosi Attack

Episode shows pressures ahead as free-speech goals run up against Musk’s pledges to advertisers

The episode underscored the pressures that Musk, a self-styled “free speech absolutist,” now faces in running the popular social media website — particularly in how to place limits on misinformation and hate speech on its service. Musk has pledged to advertisers that Twitter won’t become a “free-for-all hellscape” under his leadership, but at the same time pronounced that unfettered speech should be the norm on the site. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-30/musk-posts-then-deletes-tweet-spreading-conspiracy-theory-on-pelosi-attack

Also, Musk's Twitter has started fact checking the left. This will come as a surprise for many used to not having their false narratives questioned and corrected. Good that he started with a notorious liar to fact check, I like this. I like it a lot.

"Atweet by US President Joe Biden has been fact-checked on Twitter barely two days after Elon Musk finalised his $US44 billion takeover deal of the popular social networking service."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/joe-bidens-lies-fact-checked-by-elon-musks-twitter/ar-AA13yzYS

It appears Musk's Twitter will be cracking down on the "old style" of disinformation ie fake facts, not what we are used to -cracking down or censoring factual reports that are unbeneficial to the democrats. Big change!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That sounds rather scary .

You must accept exactly what the media tells you , and if you question the story, you are labelled as a conspiracy theorist .

Saying that there "might be more to this story that is being reported" and you are an odd ball conspiracy theorist  

Unfettered free speech is good. But does the means justify the ends. Twitterers do not have even power and with power comes responsibility. Twitter tried to deal with Trump by allowing him to tweet by putting warnings on the tweets that objectively were likely to be or factually were lies. But he kept on with it and we got January 6.  They banned him.

The powerful posting dumb conspiracy theories, i.e. ideas without proof, can do serious damage. See the damage lies on facebook did in Myanmar to the Rohinga people. If not google it. Just one example. Not easy solutions but just posing devil's advocate questions doesn't provide a solution either.

we are talking about musk..the OWNER of twitter posting and then deleting a post that claims with no evidence and obviously no fact checking that mr pelosi's attacker was some guy that he had met in a bar late night which even a tiny bit of research would show is a LIE....and a big tip that it was/is a LIE is the fact that the source of this story was a site that has a reputation of posting <deleted> like hillary had a body double....that is irresponsible as is an attempt to try and whitewash the fact that musk did indeed make such a tweet and has yet to apologize for being yet another person spreading false BS which can and has and likely will lead to more violence.  Despicable.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Also, Musk's Twitter has started fact checking the left. This will come as a surprise for many used to not having their false narratives questioned and corrected. Good that he started with a notorious liar to fact check, I like this. I like it a lot.

"Atweet by US President Joe Biden has been fact-checked on Twitter barely two days after Elon Musk finalised his $US44 billion takeover deal of the popular social networking service."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/joe-bidens-lies-fact-checked-by-elon-musks-twitter/ar-AA13yzYS

It appears Musk's Twitter will be cracking down on the "old style" of disinformation ie fake facts, not what we are used to -cracking down or censoring factual reports that are unbeneficial to the democrats. Big change!

He needs to start with himself first as linking to a website that spreads conspiracy theories that lack evidence and their source is "IMHO" is just not good enough for an owner of twitter

Elon Musk deleted a tweet about Paul Pelosi. Here’s why that matters.

On Sunday, he posted a response to Hillary Clinton that “there is a tiny possibility there might be more to this story” behind the attack on Paul Pelosi in San Francisco, linking to an opinion article in the Santa Monica Observer, a site described by fact-checkers as a low-credibility source favoring the extreme right.

The article claimed without evidence that Pelosi was drunk at the time of the assault and “in a dispute with a male prostitute.” The article, which was amplified by several right-wing figures, cited no sources and attributes its contents to IMHO — internet shorthand for “in my humble opinion.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/10/30/musk-deleted-tweet-pelosi/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pomchop said:

we are talking about musk..the OWNER of twitter posting and then deleting a post that claims with no evidence and obviously no fact checking that mr pelosi's attacker was some guy that he had met in a bar late night which even a tiny bit of research would show is a LIE...

Can you show that is a lie ?, or tell me what words to use a in a search engine to find out for myself 

• Like 1

I don't use twitter , was there no racist hate speech trolls  last week when Musk wasn't the owner ?

Is this a new thing and what is Musk going to do about it ?

Rather than ask me, if you are so  interested then just join up? I don't follow racist people, trolls or people who promote it, so can't answer your question. Although I did note some extreme links from other people

Edited by Bkk Brian

5 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

No, we're not talking about that. The clue is in the title of the thread. For your benefit I will post it:

"Elon Musk's Twitter roils with hate speech as trolls test new limits"

This discussion had moved on and we were discussing Musk's latest tweet 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Advertisers are going to be looking at this closely, its how twitter makes money, without them then Musk's backers are not going to be happy.

Study Finds Hate Speech Increases on Twitter After Elon Musk Acquisition

image.png.c3b5386fbf9a5e3fdb9581001736c3b1.png

https://www.montclair.edu/school-of-communication-and-media/2022/10/29/study-finds-hate-speech-increases-on-twitter-after-elon-musk-acquisition/

It wasn't actually hate speech though , people were experimenting and seeing what words were no longer banned . People were testing the limits of what twitter will allow 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It wasn't actually hate speech though , people were experimenting and seeing what words were no longer banned . People were testing the limits of what twitter will allow 

That was quick, did you download and read the entire study?

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

No I read the title of this thread, the info is there 

So where did you base your analysis of this claim?

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

So where did you base your analysis of this claim?

He made it up, as he usually does.

“Elon now controls twitter. Unleash the racial slurs. K---S AND N-----S,” said one account, using slurs for Jews and Black people. “I can freely express how much I hate n-----s … now, thank you elon,” another said.

Racial slurs were posted rampantly. One single-word tweet, showing a single racial slur in all capital letters, was retweeted more than 700 times and liked more than 5,000 times. It was tweeted Thursday night and remained online more than 16 hours later.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/10/28/musk-twitter-racist-posts/

Edited by onthedarkside
quote shortened for fair use
  • Like 2