What is the biggest mistake in life ?

Social Media

Tough one, as all turned out pretty darn good, luckily & thankfully.

... Obviously, getting married first 3 times.

... staying social, peer pressure, what little I did fall under, at teen age, delayed a bit of growth and responsibility development.  Fun, but less alcohol & drugs would have meant investing in the future more.  Less thought of I'm not going to live past 30 anyway, so screw it, do anything.  Could have retired before 30 yrs old, if surrounded by different peer group.  Zero mentoring in those circles.

... not listening to myself all the time, probably #1

• Like 1

If we are talking about the biggest mistake ever made, I would have to stick with my earlier Yoko Ono post.

If we are talking of personal mistakes, mine would have to be treating my posting to Berlin as one massive 2-year pish-up, instead of exploring and soaking up the history of the place.

So much to do and such little time.

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

What is C goes bad?

Then your toast and life as you know it or hoped to know it ends up with you being a traveler staying 4 days here, 3 days there, especially when your stocks and crypto have tanked.......staying in cheap hotels or living Thai style.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Then your toast and life as you know it or hoped to know it ends up with you being a traveler staying 4 days here, 3 days there, especially when your stocks and crypto have tanked.......staying in cheap hotels or living Thai style.

Poor people cant afford to travel. Im still on plan B.

Are you on plan C?

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Never had a divorce?

Minor bumps in the road and really did not loose anything. Kept the houses, pension and so on. Lost 2 cars and that's about it. Stocks never catered and in fact I am still up in all investments.

14 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

"My" biggest mistake or "THE" biggest mistake?

I think the biggest mistake most people make is choosing the wrong parents.

Of course we cannot choose them, so I'm being facetious, but I think winning the Birth Lottery is the best thing that can happen to anyone, so losing it must the worst. It certainly makes life much more difficult. The Universe is quite random at that level, and by human objective standards, incredibly unfair.

So much is inherited, and so much a function of where, when, and how one is born. Intellect, physical appearance, height, athleticism....those are largely inherited. Then if one was born, say, as a white male in a developed country, especially if sometime between 1950 and 1980, success in life is almost guaranteed. A person almost has to go out of one's way to fail if given those birth circumstances. Toss in decent intellect, a pleasing enough appearance, being an athlete....and one is going to be a success by late 20s at most. Once one has independent wealth (if wealth is a goal), life is pretty damn easy, and also pretty damn fun.

So mistakes? I have come to the belief that life is about 95% dumb luck and 5% conscious effort. I was lucky enough to not make the mistake of being born to the wrong parents. Things just fell into place after that, so what I have 'achieved' are things for which I can hardly take credit. I'm the first to admit I didn't really earn much of what I have achieved. I'm just extra lucky I didn't <deleted> it up, because the ability to <deleted> up may well be my one independently developed skill that I've been able to sublimate.

True. Most rich from family. Good looks and genes family.

I know plenty of smart poor people. No luck.

Life is 80% or maybe 95% luck as you say.

Just now, xylophone said:

Ah, the Ed Wood "joke" that became a cult classic!

Yup, so much so that someone restored the original and then colourised it!

It's still just as bad as the day it was released.

• Thumbs Up 1