New Booze Regulation Comes Into Effect Wednesday

webfact

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to the new ministerial regulations, people aged 20 years and over and juristic persons can apply for a license to make alcoholic beverages for their own consumption, not for sale or barter.

So, you still need a licence to do homebrew?

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

but the household production capacity is capped at 200 liters per year.

That is a WHOLE 4 LITRES per week. Who is going to go to the trouble of doing that, even monthly @ 16 litres.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Do they really think all the Thai farmers who have always made sato (Thai sticky rice wine) or distill fermented rice to make lao khao or "medicinal" whisky will actually register?  I have never seen any evidence that the government cares about that unless some idiot doesn't know how to separate the methanol (BP 64.7) and ethanol (BP 78.4) alcohols when distilling his lao khao.

Just invest in some brewer's yeast for your Sato – Thai Rice Wine or your fermented rice and you eliminate all but traces methanol (you will always get some when you ferment anything).  If you have a moonshine still with a thermometer to tell you at what temperature the distillate is condensing at you can easily make sure the distillate you collect for drinking is ethanol, not methanol.

Here is a fancy moonshine still from Amazon, Premium Copper Moonshine & whiskey Alembic Still 3 L w/thermometer aprox 1Gallon.

Personally, when I finally move to my wife's farm to live home made sato is going to be on my menu.  You can buy bottles of filtered and sterilized sato at places like 7-11 but it the taste is horrible, unlike the taste of fresh sato.

Edited by HarrySeaman

8 hours ago, JoePai said:

Yes

Can you make home brew in Thailand?

The 1950 Liquor Act states beer can only be made in a factory or brewpub. A 2000 Finance Ministry regulation says for producers to gain legal status, they must make more than 100,000 liters per year and be a limited company with capital of at least 10 million baht.