Are you sometimes lured by the mystique of the Tattoo? Can you take the pain?

GammaGlobulin

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Please explain to me the point of having a tattoo which never sees the light of day, because I really don't understand that.

Most people I know who have gotten tattoos have gotten them for sentimental reasons, as an expression of religion, or something intrinsic and special on to them, myself included, and is why I do not show them off to non family members unless I am swimming at a hotel and not using a swim top.  As I said I have a whole lot of friends who have tattoos who do not wear clothes just to show their tattoos off in public, as the tattoo is for oneself and not others.  Like I have said if you did not know me and met me you would never know I had Tattoo's.  People who belittle others, condemn others, and so on just for what they wear, drive or put on there bodies to me are arrogant and self centered people.  

So lets say we are doing business, and after we conclude the business and sign the contract for my services, I remove my outer shirt and expose a tank top which shows my tattoo's, would you then try and cancel the contract because of your prejudices against a tattoo wearer?

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Love It 1

Raging against tattoos is like when my gym teacher hated me for having a Beatle's haircut. The world moves on, fashions change.

And tattoos have been big since the early 80's, so like rap, they deserve a bit of begrudging respect just for not only enduring, but growing in popularity over nearly half a century.

Edited by LaosLover

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Most people I know who have gotten tattoos have gotten them for sentimental reasons, as an expression of religion, or something intrinsic and special on to them, myself included, and is why I do not show them off to non family members unless I am swimming at a hotel and not using a swim top.  As I said I have a whole lot of friends who have tattoos who do not wear clothes just to show their tattoos off in public, as the tattoo is for oneself and not others.  Like I have said if you did not know me and met me you would never know I had Tattoo's.  People who belittle others, condemn others, and so on just for what they wear, drive or put on there bodies to me are arrogant and self centered people.  

So lets say we are doing business, and after we conclude the business and sign the contract for my services, I remove my outer shirt and expose a tank top which shows my tattoo's, would you then try and cancel the contract because of your prejudices against a tattoo wearer?

Tattoos don't bother me personally, although I have never had one myself. So I would not be trying to cancel a contract for that reason, it would be ridiculous.

I still don't get it, you say the tattoo is for yourself. Is it a memento  of a special event in your life, artistic expression, or a badge of honor that you can bear pain?

IIRC I have said before on this thread having a tattoo does tend to act as a socio-economic classifier, which is probably the reason I don't have one. Although I have met some with tattoos who were good people.

Scrolling through all this, maybe one of the reasons I never wanted a tattoo is because I do not believe in 'mystical' or 'souls' or any other superstition that has absolutely nothing to suggest it is any more than a feeble hope.

The Universe is endlessly fascinating, but it doesn't require any higher being or chanting or magic or mysticism. Particle physics explains everything, including this thing we call consciousness.

Funny how so much evidence against souls and other nonsense screams at people, but few listen. Watch a person suffering from dementia or Alzheimers. Slowly 'who' they are evaporates. Their memories go. As other parts of the brain shut off, their personality changes. Control areas of the brain die off, and behavior borders on the bizarre. Eventually, there is nothing left of what was, The same happens when cancer ravages the body and brain.

Despite that, there are those who think an instant after the body itself shuts off, that former person has some ethereal entity floating around in the cosmos, all memories and personality restored, and they're either sitting with a skydaddy or group of skydaddys on some cloud, or else depending on their behavior when they were still cognizant, coming back to life as a king or a cockroach, or something in between. That schtick might have sold a few thousand years ago, but today it is just drivel, embraced only by the eternally hopeful and wanting.

So the 'mystique' part of tatts has even less attraction to me than the poor esthetics (in my opinion).

Others, of course, are welcome to have a contrary opinion both on the esthetics and mystique. Happy for them if it gives them pleasure. I can have a beer with them while watching the sun set. Leave controversial subjects aside.

I am happy to enjoy my skin unadorned as long as entropy doesn't take full control and disassociate my atoms, just as I'm happy to enjoy consciousness as long as the neurons keep firing. That all of what I am is purely physical doesn't change my ability to enjoy...or deceive myself into thinking this existence is anything more than physics playing itself out on a grand scale.

It will all end, "I" will return to the non-existence that was (wasn't) me for the first 13.8 billion years. Until then.....

On 11/2/2022 at 4:47 PM, ed strong said:

No not really, got drunk and had my hair dyed once but a permanent body marking is a step too far. No idea what i would have and my opinions views change over the years.

I find them a good marker for the type of person that has them for eg any lady with an inspirational quote, is generally best left alone......

If your ever in Hua hin and meet lady with 'love me for who i am' on her arm.....then run a mile!

Generally in life what ever people tend to project is the actual opposite of their true thoughts.

Was it your wife?

I've never 'got' tattoo's and sometimes I think I'm the only male on the planet who is tat free.

My wife both my daughters and son have tats.

I argued with my kids, pierce whatever you want, my wife was a lost cause, but just don't tattoo it

My wife is starting to come round to my thinking, that a tattoo on a 20 year old body, my not be so good on a 50+ year old body!

• Thumbs Up 1

Got mine at Pinky's in Hong Kong back in the 70's. Back then tattoo joints were off limits for sailors. Pinky's had a steel door so when you entered you were safe from Shore Patrol. You could drink beer while getting the work done. The one on my back hurt real bad as I didn't have much meat for protection.

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/article/1850409/pictures-ricky-and-pinkys-tattoo-parlour-40-years-inking-hong-kong

As a retired old guy I'm thinking of getting inked some more. I have several ideas of what I want. It's the neck and face tattoos that I don't understand. Why? I remember seeing one guy some years ago and he had a giant colored fish on his neck.  

I get a kick out of seeing fat white ladies with many tattoos. It's like I'm obese but I have tatoos so I'm cool.

If i see an old guy with faded navy type tattoos you can be sure for some interesting conversation and i'll make an effort to speak to them, however if they are over 40 and have tribal type tattoos i would do the opposite and not make any attempt to engage.

If i meet a women / man with daft slogans or 'inspirational' quotes then again i wouldn't generally warm to them, of course there are exceptions.

A women with a large back tattoo can be quite nice and i will appreciate the art and commitment to it.

Why not commission an artist to draw on canvas rather than your own body, would be my thoughts if wishing to commenorate someone, you cant pass your tattoos onto anyone after you die.

6 minutes ago, ed strong said:

you cant pass your tattoos onto anyone after you die.

Save My Ink Forever, just like its name, has developed a proprietary process to preserve the tattoos by working with licensed morticians across the US to excise the tissues around the tattoos of a dead person and send them to the company whose lab is based in Ohio

https://www.designboom.com/art/save-my-ink-forever-extract-preserve-tattoos-06-30-2022/

2 hours ago, ed strong said:

If i see an old guy with faded navy type tattoos you can be sure for some interesting conversation and i'll make an effort to speak to them, however if they are over 40 and have tribal type tattoos i would do the opposite and not make any attempt to engage.

If i meet a women / man with daft slogans or 'inspirational' quotes then again i wouldn't generally warm to them, of course there are exceptions.

A women with a large back tattoo can be quite nice and i will appreciate the art and commitment to it.

Why not commission an artist to draw on canvas rather than your own body, would be my thoughts if wishing to commenorate someone, you cant pass your tattoos onto anyone after you die.

Cute girl from the front.....

FB_IMG_1667525136992.jpg

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2022 at 1:11 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

I sometimes sign off emails to friends this way but in first person...

I don't know why I swallowed a fly... 

Philly humor. 

Let's flock together. 

Wishing you well. 

Stiff upper lip, even if one is no longer able to stay stiff, down below, for hours on end. 

Benjamin Franklin used up much ink throughout his life, and never wasted a drop of ink on his skin. 

This is why Franklin was so attractive to French women. 

He wrote a lot, yet he never wrote on himself. 

By the way, Finicky, I am beginning to think that you and I are peas in a pod. 

You, as I, have been shaped by great Philly culture, which is almost like the culture of Boston. 

If we, people like us, should finally exit this world, then such a loss for humankind.... 

I truly believe this. 

Take care, my friend.. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 2:38 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Guess I fit that moniker then as well as I also own an MG which you also detest.  So your batting .000, As I am far from an idiot, am wealthy, and now have one of those LTR Visas for 10 years which you also think are a waste, or am I wrong....

MG classic, from the 1950s... 

Nothing could be finer. 

An MGB is a toy, by comparison. 

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

MG classic, from the 1950s... 

Nothing could be finer. 

An MGB is a toy, by comparison. 

An MG is a beautiful beast. 

When I was young, I wracked up one, and put my head halfway through the windscreen. 

Maybe if I were inclined to tattoo myself, I would would tattoo the scar on the crown of my head, "MG". 

Anyway, sitting low, going very fast, is worth the risk, in an MG. 

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Not!!! 

Sorry, but sitting low, going fast, is not an oxymoron.

Although, maybe, only a moron might choose to do so.

You have obviously NEVER been in a fast car if you think a 50HP MG is fast

22 minutes ago, seedy said:

You have obviously NEVER been in a fast car if you think a 50HP MG is fast

Yes, you might think so.

However, 

image.thumb.jpeg.715b7b00b60e9bdd9e10ef5be1df5c00.jpeg

This car is very light.

It's more or less just a skateboard.

This car can do 130 MPH.

Some say 120.

But, I had it past 125.

Also, you can stop on a dime with this car.

But, if you don't stop fast enough, then you wrack it up.

And then, your head goes through the windscreen.

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes, you might think so.

However, 

This car is very light.

This car can do 130 MPH.

Some say 120.

But, I had it past 125.

200km/h in that flimsy death trap.

No thanks.

Edit: Hahahahahah, it has the acceleration of a snail taking over 10 seconds to even reach 100km/h...... speaks volumes about British sports cars !!

Edited by Ralf001

57 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes, you might think so.

However, 

This car is very light.

This car can do 130 MPH.

Some say 120.

But, I had it past 125.

They were cute, but not really fast/quick & were flat out poor in cornering....

My/A TR3 left these in a wake miles & miles behind....

We used to open road, flying the Pacific Coast Highway & side roads from SF to Monterey/Big Sur.....

The Austin Healey's usually took the lead & top end with the TR's within sight....At a prearranged stopping site we'd sit & wait for the MG's usually running 20-30 minutes behind....And finally the bug eyed Sprites would show up about 20 minutes after the MG's.....

We never had a Mini Cooper with us....A MC would have eaten up the twisty roads.....

I do have a scar from a MG windshield at about what used to be my hair line....A buddy cornering his MG in an being developed area (Foster City).....Cut a left - he got the left part right = but 4 wheel slid into the right curb.....Lucky me, because of my height I didn't hit the windshield - I hit the top of the frame ....

The cute thing was, for some unholy reason = most MG guys had a wanky attitude....

14 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

They were cute, but not really fast/quick & were flat out poor in cornering....

My/A TR3 left these in a wake miles & miles behind....

We used to open road, flying the Pacific Coast Highway & side roads from SF to Monterey/Big Sur.....

The Austin Healey's usually took the lead & top end with the TR's within sight....At a prearranged stopping site we'd sit & wait for the MG's usually running 20-30 minutes behind....And finally the bug eyed Sprites would show up about 20 minutes after the MG's.....

We never had a Mini Cooper with us....A MC would have eaten up the twisty roads.....

I do have a scar from a MG windshield at about what used to be my hair line....A buddy cornering his MG in an being developed area (Foster City).....Cut a left - he got the left part right = but 4 wheel slid into the right curb.....Lucky me, because of my height I didn't hit the windshield - I hit the top of the frame ....

The cute thing was, for some unholy reason = most MG guys had a wanky attitude....

Austin-Healey was too expensive. 

I would have preferred an XKE, at the time. 

USD6000, in 1967. 

The neighbor had one. 

She drove it like a grandmother. 

Criminal, we thought. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

15 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Austin-Healey was too expensive. 

I would have preferred an XKE, at the time. 

USD6000, in 1967. 

The neighbor had one. 

She drove it like a grandmother. 

Criminal, we thought. 

Yeah - shifting the XKE's it felt like square cut gears....They weren't the smoothest shifting gearboxes & had that typical whine sound - which somehow made it feel cooler/racier .....A non synchro 1st gear that you couldn't get into, even at a crawl speed.....

Cool to tool around in.....

4 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Yeah - shifting the XKE's it felt like square cut gears....They weren't the smoothest shifting gearboxes & had that typical whine sound - which somehow made it feel cooler/racier .....A non synchro 1st gear that you couldn't get into, even at a crawl speed.....

Cool to tool around in.....

First gear was never synchronized, in most cars. 

Nobody downshifts into first gear. Why would you? 

12 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

First gear was never synchronized, in most cars. 

Nobody downshifts into first gear. Why would you? 

I remember it still grinding at close to Zero MPH at stop lights that changed at just the wrong time to accelerate in 2nd gear....Just at that oozing to a complete stop limbo land where the rest of the traffic is surging ahead & you have to make a complete stop.....

That's why I called them square cut gears.....

Most cars of that day you could ease into 1st at a slow crawl speed.....Not the XKE.....

However - since neither of us has an XKE, TR3B, or MG tattoo - we might want get on topic.....

Wish I still had that TR3B = I just learned there were only ever 530 made....

Edited by pgrahmm

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Edit: Hahahahahah, it has the acceleration of a snail taking over 10 seconds to even reach 100km/h...... speaks volumes about British sports cars !!

Want a fast car - get one that does the 1/4 mile in under 10 seconds.

THATS a fast car.