Political activist Srisuwan Janya to sue Thai government over allowing foreign land ownership

snoop1130

7 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Then they will say, let the wife and children buy it, because they are Thai. And if you're 'established' in the 'Kingdom', then just let the wife or kids buy. 

Only problem with that is, not all people that get married have kids and if they have no kids and the wife passes away first then the husband doesn't get to keep the house, the government will give him 12 months to sell it.

Of course it is no more than fair that we as Thai people can buy as much land and property as we want in (almost) any country in the world, while foreigners can not buy any land or property in Thailand. Remember, TIT, we don’t believe in equal opportunities for everybody.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just wondering , are you an established farang with wives/children who would like to buy some land in Thailand  perchance ?

If you read this forum more often you would realise that there are a great deal who would like to buy say a rai of land to build their own house.

17 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just wondering , are you an established farang with wives/children who would like to buy some land in Thailand  perchance ?

If you read this forum more often you would realise that there are a great deal who would like to buy say a rai of land to build their own house.

Perhaps it is time for nations like the US, to deny all Thais the ability to purchase real estate. Tit for tat. Maybe that will get the attention of the goon squad. And it might make it harder for the generals and the super rich to buy high priced condos in Manhattan. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Perhaps it is time for nations like the US, to deny all Thais the ability to purchase real estate. Tit for tat. Maybe that will get the attention of the goon squad. And it might make it harder for the generals and the super rich to buy high priced condos in Manhattan. 

The USA is a Country that encourages immigration and is a Country that is built on immigration .

Thailand never didn't want immigrants moving to Thailand and so immigrants to Thailand aren't privy to the same privileges as Thais , like owning land 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The USA is a Country that encourages immigration and is a Country that is built on immigration .

Thailand never didn't want immigrants moving to Thailand and so immigrants to Thailand aren't privy to the same privileges as Thais , like owning land 

Thailand was a land of immigrant for 1000 years. Sukhothai, Ayutthaya, and Chiang Mai (Lanna) were major trade capitals throughout history, and remained very open to outsiders. Countless traders came to Thailand and ended up staying here. Ever wonder why you see so many different looks? Persia, Sumatra, Laos, Burma, Vietnam, China, India, Sri Lanka, and the list goes on.

It is only recently, especially since the ignoramus nationalist Phibun that Thailand has developed a closed mind, a nationalist mindset, and forgotten where and how they fit in, in this world. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand was a land of immigrant for 1000 years. Sukhothai, Ayutthaya, and Chiang Mai (Lanna) were major trade capitals throughout history, and remained very open to outsiders. Countless traders came to Thailand and ended up staying here. Ever wonder why you see so many different looks? Persia, Sumatra, Laos, Burma, Vietnam, China, India, Sri Lanka, and the list goes on.

It is only recently, especially since the ignoramus nationalist Phibun that Thailand has developed a closed mind, a nationalist mindset, and forgotten where and how they fit in, in this world. 

I did mean in the modern World when they had borders and things.

Since having borders, Thailand has never encouraged immigrants  

How about a proposal that limits the amount of land Thais can own. Right now most of the land in Thailand is owned by a relatively small and rich proportion of the Thai population. By limiting this is gives the landless and poor more chance to own land.  Each Thai person can own a maximum of 50 Rai for example. That would make sure that land as a national resource would be available for all Thais to own and keep the cost low. 

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

How about a proposal that limits the amount of land Thais can own. Right now most of the land in Thailand is owned by a relatively small and rich proportion of the Thai population. By limiting this is gives the landless and poor more chance to own land.  Each Thai person can own a maximum of 50 Rai for example. That would make sure that land as a national resource would be available for all Thais to own and keep the cost low. 

What a concept. Why would these guys do anything to benefit the common people? Thaksin was the last one to pass some populist policies. Prayuth? Seriously? 

I agree with his proposal, Foreigners should NOT be allowed to buy land in Thailand! look at Hawaii and part of the U.S.A for an example of what would happen! (The Japanese buying in Hawaii and the Chinese buying in the U.S.)  If the law was approved  the Chinese and Indians would own the majority of Thailand in the not to distant future.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is by far not the Only Country that bars foreigners from buying  land in their country. there is no such thing as tit for tat in nations. the strong survive the weak get left behind.

• Like 1

I think everyone has missed the point here, we can and do own land in Thailand. When I lived in Pattaya I owned my own house in a company name, and sold it with no problems, now that I live in the country I am married and we own a small farm here. Thai law states that if you are devorced you are entitled to half of all assets and I have had a couple of friends that have won their court cases. You can also take out a 30 year lease if you so choose.

• Haha 1

Srisuwan Janya is a populist self-promoter. Almost all parties use the nationalist trumpet to get votes. The evil foreigner as an enemy. A popular political plot to distract from the real enemies in their own country, aka corruption, nepotism, unequal distribution of income, dismantling of democracy, clique economy, monopolies, incompetence, unequal education and health care, intransparency in the use of taxpayers' money, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2022 at 5:02 AM, 2baht said:

I think they are happy living in the Third World! As long as there's rice in the bowl.................................! ????

Well, the average villager has: a house, a vehicle, and  a million in farm land.

They ain't actually poor,so of course they are happy.

On 11/3/2022 at 8:37 AM, firemans35 said:

I'm not sure that's exactly true. When I lived it Thailand I was told foreigners couldn't buy land. If you were married, she had to sign a paper stating you didn't give her money for the land.

+1

On 11/2/2022 at 9:28 PM, jaywalker2 said:

I don't disagree that the foreign land ownership laws need reform. On the other hand, completely opening the market will undoubtedly lead to  the kind of stratospheric property prices that you see in the west.  Rather than basing land ownership on investment amount, maybe the government should consider allowing it for farangs established in the kingdom -- with wives and children, for example.

And the condo prices in Bangkok are not already stratospheric in your view?  Just take a look around the downtown Area, On Nut, Sathorn, Lumpini etc...

I sent this article to a friend in the newspaper business in California.  He just about choked on the verbiage this activist used.  I wonder if this activist would take up the Black Lives matter Cause, or the Defund the Police call?

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And the condo prices in Bangkok are not already stratospheric in your view?  Just take a look around the downtown Area, On Nut, Sathorn, Lumpini etc...

One of the attractive features of Bangkok years ago was the way old communal neighborhoods and more modern developments coexisted side by side. This was in large part due to the fact that the older traditional neighborhoods were situated on land owned by the crown and allowed to persist by the grace of the former king.

Of course developers were eager to get their hands on this land and when the king passed, the commoners were kicked out and all these new exorbinant condominiums that could only be afforded by the rich arose.  Property prices in the CBD rose astonomically, fueled by investment from foreign sources, particularly China.

Most of the poorer and middle class Thais have been forced to the distant suburbs. Thus we can imagine what the effect will be if the government also opens up land ownership to foreign investment.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 7:17 AM, unblocktheplanet said:

I object strongly to naming this nutjob (here comes his defamation lawsuit!) any kind of 'activist'.

He's just an egotistical troll who gets off on <deleted> up people's lives to no purpose.

Hes an attention seeker.  Why else would he be wearing his wife's frock?

Edited by ThaiFelix

• 2 weeks later...

In a marriage the land or house is brought when over 50/50 split.farangs can buy land or a house under those rules or something with a company name..Never being easy to buy land as a farang because thais know the rules too.Try buying a condo never the bottom 2 floors something about land issues,anything above no problem no land rights.As far as i know with a bar the thais own 51 precent the farang 49 percent of nothing.

This has gone on forever and most farangs know that owning land is never going to be easy