ATM ate my card and locked up

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you use an actual bank branch ATM if the card gets swallowed they can open the machine and return it straight away

...if you're very lucky and if you can identify yourself with a passport and passbook that most people don't carry around.   One reason cards are retained by ATMs can be the issuing bank's instructions due to misuse or a reported lost card and, because of that potential liability, most banks are reluctant to hand back other banks'/branches cards retained by their machines unless they know the reason.

Folks ......    Please listen carefully.     

Nothing wrong with the ATM 

He received his ATM card back.    No need to report anything. 

The machine was possibly out of cash.

When a machine is out of cash it will momentarily freeze and then cancel the transaction. 

15 hours ago, gargamon said:

More details about the ATM would be helpful. What bank owns the machine? Is it standalone or attached to a bank, 7/11 etc.

I had this happen in Indonesia and went to the bank when it opened and got the card back. There should be a phone number on the atm machine to call too.

Yes, it would not take much to say bank and ATM location!

28 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...if you're very lucky and if you can identify yourself with a passport and passbook that most people don't carry around.   One reason cards are retained by ATMs can be the issuing bank's instructions due to misuse or a reported lost card and, because of that potential liability, most banks are reluctant to hand back other banks'/branches cards retained by their machines unless they know the reason.

I've seen people go straight in and get cards back, how about you?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

I've seen people go straight in and get cards back, how about you?

Have you?  You followed people into the bank who had their cards retained and waited to see what happened?   I know that banks rarely, if ever, will open an ATM during service hours to hand back a retained card. 

15 hours ago, still kicking said:

I had that problem a few times years ago, what I never understood is why you get money out of the ATM and not your card first ( but mayby it has changed now )

This is Thailand and you're looking for logic. You're a newbie according to your status here and will learn never to do that. But, some banks do return the card first although some do not.  

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have you?  You followed people into the bank who had their cards retained and waited to see what happened?   I know that banks rarely, if ever, will open an ATM during service hours to hand back a retained card. 

It depends on the bank, but in my experience, this is the case.  They'll record your information and ask you to return the next day, after the ATM machine is serviced, with your passport and bank book to reclaim your ATM card.  That's only if it's the ATM machine attached to their bank.  If it's an ATM machine down the street, all bets are off.  Those eaten cards are sent to the HQ and bank policies differ on what happens to them.

• Like 1

It happened to me once, It was frightening. It was a SCB ATM at one of the main branches in Bangkok. After the transaction timed out, I tried another ATM at the same place and it worked fine. Sometimes I wonder if they're just trying to make  you give up on using ATMS.

9 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

It happened to me once, It was frightening. It was a SCB ATM at one of the main branches in Bangkok. After the transaction timed out, I tried another ATM at the same place and it worked fine. Sometimes I wonder if they're just trying to make  you give up on using ATMS.

No, the machine's just running out of cash.

This also happened to me a couple of years ago @ an ATM in Pattaya!  The machine ate my card one evening while attempting to withdraw some cash, & the next day I want to a local branch of the bank. They told me to come back in a couple of days after they had a chance to retrieve my card from the machine!  When I went to retrieve my debit card, the bank clerk demanded that I pay him the equivalent of $25 to give back me back my card that they had stolen from me!  What a con job!  Needless to say, I will never bank or use  their ATM services again.  I also decline to name them here as they just might try to come after me for exposing their crime!

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You are referring to UK most likely, irrelevant in Thailand

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is Thailand and you're looking for logic. You're a newbie according to your status here and will learn never to do that. But, some banks do return the card first although some do not.  

the logic is that cards is retained in case you have other transaction after withdrawing cash, saves reinserting card and entering pin again

but then the prompt that do you want receipt has caught out many, especially tourists who are not used to the thai system would walk away not knowing that they need to press the button either yes or no, otherwise the machine will only spit the card back after a long while, after which you could have absentmindedly walked away

I had a Kbank ATM outside a Kbank branch eat my card and display an error message last weekend when I was not in my home province. This is the first time it happened to me in 40 years. They could not simply open the machine and give me my card back. Instead they got onto their call centre and reported the problem and ID of the machine. Then they handed the phone to me and I was asked some security questions. They said they had to cancel the card and issue a new one. I said OK but I would not pay anything. So the process is I have to take my passport and pass book to any branch to get a new card. The 50-baht fee will be waived. I will pay the new 200-baht annual fee, but they will refund the pro rata amount of the already paid annual fee. All fair but a bit inconvenient if I didn't have other cards and cardless withdrawal as backup options. Cardless withdrawal is a bit slow but I think I'll use it in future.

17 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Report it to the bank, in person, as soon as possible. When you report it make sure that you reconcile your records with the banks, to make sure that your card has not been subsequently used. The bank should issue you a new card, change the PIN.

When I had to do that recently it only took about 20 minutes.

Edited 17 hours ago by herfiehandbag

And iffin the said ATM  card  is not a Thai  Bank ATM card?

Edited by In Full Agreement

54 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You are referring to UK most likely, irrelevant in Thailand

No, I am not, why should I be referring to the UK?     I know that banks here rarely, if ever, will open an ATM during service hours to hand back a retained card.   

Many times there are good reasons for cards being retained  and, as debit cards are not embossed with the account holder's name, how would the retaining bank know to whom the cards belonged without investigating on the spot with other banks, something that they don't do?

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I am not, why should I be referring to the UK?     I know that banks here rarely, if ever, will open an ATM during service hours to hand back a retained card.   

Many times there are good reasons for cards being retained  and, as debit cards are not embossed with the account holder's name, how would the retaining bank know to whom the cards belonged without investigating on the spot with other banks, something that they don't do?

so you've seen people lose a card and go in and ask?

• Haha 1

OP I’ve had it happen when the ATM was out of money. Check your bank online to see if any transactions. You should be ok.

I’ve had my U.S. ATM eaten at ATM because of my negligence not paying attention.. .. I didn’t get the card in time when it was returned after transaction. I was very very lucky after a lot of begging the

bank retrieved my card the next day…. which usually doesn’t happen.. .. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

so you've seen people lose a card and go in and ask?

Only once, that was myself. that bank couldn't return it.   And I know that they don't as a rule, they're returned to the various banks' Head Offices that don't return them, either.

6 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

And iffin the said ATM  card  is not a Thai  Bank ATM card?

Report it to the bank, by telephone/ mobile banking app.

They will be able to tell you the last transaction, if you recognise it then , with the card cancelled, no fraud. Ask them to replace the card.