Abortion is now legal, but why is it so difficult to get one in Thailand?

webfact

image.jpeg

Although Thai law was changed last year to allow the termination of a pregnancy up to 12 weeks and again this year with some conditions to up to 20 weeks, it remains difficult for women in Thailand to get a free and safe abortion.

“If you think abortion services have become available for all pregnant women who want to exercise their right to a legal abortion, you are wrong,” Tamtang Group’s founder and coordinator Supecha Baotip said.

Her group has long campaigned for women’s right to safe abortions but despite finally seeing legalization in February 2021, access to abortion services is still very limited.

Only about 100 medical facilities offer safe abortion under the law, according to Tamtang Group’s data. However, most of them are private clinics. In Bangkok, not a single state hospital offers the service, meaning abortion is out of reach for most Thais in the capital.

“Yet, ironically, Bangkok has the biggest number of unwanted pregnancies judging by calls to counsellors,” Supecha said. “The closest state hospital we can recommend is in Singburi province.”

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/abortion-is-now-legal-but-why-is-it-so-difficult-to-get-one-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Disagree completely with that snippet in OP.  Know more than a few gals having, even before legal.  Just need to ask the right folks.

My late wife had an abortion about 30 years ago with no problem. We both went to the clinic and gave the reasons why she/we wanted one. The reasons were accepted as reasonable and they went ahead with the procedure. The clinic where it was done is still there to this day (or at least it was as of September 2022 according to google maps) and, no, it was not an expensive private clinic. 

What I am saying is that it abortions have been provided by certain registered clinics for years and certainly the costs were not out of reach of most women in the capital in many such clinics.    

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They always call it respect for life as Buddhism religion preaches. Same for the Living Will, it will be almost impossible to find a doctor who will respect that. On the other hand Thai people can kill eachother as we can read and see daily on the news... 

Double standards I think... Abortion and living Will are legal, murdering not...

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Disagree completely with that snippet in OP.  Know more than a few gals having, even before legal.  Just need to ask the right folks.

I have said this before, but it very much depends on where you are in Thailand.  I lived in Chiang Mai for thirteen years and left in 2010.  In the preceding three years we had occasion to use the Chiang Mai "Family Planning Clinic" to get terminations for three girls.  One being our nanny, one being the daughter of our housekeeper and one for my wife's niece.

You simply went to the clinic and the female concerned was interviewed and explained she was in no position to keep the child. Then you paid the fee (can't remember how much exactly but not excessively expensive) and they did the procedure there and then.  My wife took the girls and I waited outside in the car.  I was told it was best if I wasn't seen at all.  An hour or so later the "patient" was sent home and told to rest for a couple of days.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Although Thai law was changed last year to allow the termination of a pregnancy up to 12 weeks and again this year with some conditions to up to 20 weeks, it remains difficult for women in Thailand to get a free and safe abortion.

The law means nothing in Thailand.. 

11 hours ago, dunroaming said:

I have said this before, but it very much depends on where you are in Thailand.  I lived in Chiang Mai for thirteen years and left in 2010.  In the preceding three years we had occasion to use the Chiang Mai "Family Planning Clinic" to get terminations for three girls.  One being our nanny, one being the daughter of our housekeeper and one for my wife's niece.

You simply went to the clinic and the female concerned was interviewed and explained she was in no position to keep the child. Then you paid the fee (can't remember how much exactly but not excessively expensive) and they did the procedure there and then.  My wife took the girls and I waited outside in the car.  I was told it was best if I wasn't seen at all.  An hour or so later the "patient" was sent home and told to rest for a couple of days.

I'm constantly amazed that so many women are prepared to have sex without contraception and have to get an abortion. It's as though they don't understand having a man inside them can make them pregnant.

It's not like condoms are expensive in LOS.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm constantly amazed that so many women are prepared to have sex without contraception and have to get an abortion.

I prefer to keep my immortal soul and forget the condom.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm constantly amazed that so many women are prepared to have sex without contraception and have to get an abortion. It's as though they don't understand having a man inside them can make them pregnant.

I'm amazed to, as the morning after pill is available at all pharmacy's 

So what's going on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

So what's going on.

Women that don't insist on contraception in a relationship may not understand that sex causes pregnancy, and I understand that the morning after pill doesn't work after pregnancy begins. They may not even know they are pregnant for a couple of months if they have irregular periods.

The morning after pill is more for women that had unexpected sex ie one night stand or got too drunk to say no.

3 hours ago, Orinoco said:

So what's going on.

One more point: 

There is no pharmacy that sells the morning-after pill in many of the villages. 

If there is one, the salesperson might know you.

If there is none,  you may have to travel 20km to get the pill.

In any case, you may have some explaining to do.

17 minutes ago, Lorry said:

One more point: 

Maybe they should just use God's loophole.

19 minutes ago, Lorry said:

One more point: 

Not as much explaining as 9 months later. 

20 hours ago, rwill said:

probably for the same reason a lot of veterinarians here don't like to put animals down.

Yes, that was a huge burden to us watching our cat slowly dying from kidney failure. None agree to put him down. They claim some "Buddha". 

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Maybe "safe and free" as opposite to "unsafe and often costly" ?

I know private hospital at HK junction charges 6K for vacuum swipe.

20 hours ago, Lorry said:

You can omit the word "Thai"

Certainly could apply to many other ethnicities.  On the other hand, my son is eighteen and we live in the UK.  Girls here tend to be far more "positive" about such things.  They all seem to carry condoms at all times and boys are not only expected to wear them but virtually have to pass a physical to be allowed anywhere near the treasure trove! ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1