What it costs to live in Thailand, on a budget ?

Social Media

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

More ignorance...

The parasitic worm that lives in barracuda is situated in the stomach lining and moves out into the flesh via the backbone when the fish dies.  If the fish is gutted and cleaned immediately after catching it there is little chance for the worms to enter its flesh.  The Nigerians catching and preparing your fish would have all been well aware of this as they would all have fished for a living at some stage of their lives.

Perhaps the Nigerians staffers were giving the stupid expats wormy fish for a laugh.

What you should have been worried about was the possible mercury content of the barra you were eating and also the possibility of ciguatera.

It appears that the ignorance is yours, because you know absolutely nothing about the circumstances in which these fish were caught and eaten.

The worms were easily visible in the flesh of the barracuda if one cared to inspect it and as for you believing that the fish would be gutted and cleaned immediately, well that again shows your ignorance, and incorrect assumptions, of the situation we were in.

The Nigerians did not catch the fish we ate, because they were non-educated south-eastern state Nigerians from the jungle and although they were employed as cooks, many had no idea what they were doing, but because famine and death were rife, just about anyone could get a job on an oil rig in those days, experienced or not.

So why don't you stick to your publication of menus (lifted from somewhere else by the looks of things) and stop making assumptions, because it makes you look very foolish........

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, parafareno said:

where is condo for 6000 bht? 25 sq meter?

No, mine is in an older building, its 49 sq, has a western kitchen, nicely furnished with sea views on the 12th floor with good-sized balcony. Very quiet

I did the deal just at the end of covid last November, but landlord says not increase for 2023

Don't want to mention the building sorry

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 1:11 AM, ViajeroLA said:

I'd say "single, monastic type"  can survive spending 10-20% of that and if your survival doesn't depend on exotic stuff like "continental breakfast", comfortable life starts from $1k/month +-

But yeah, if you spend 60k+/month you almost ballin ????)))

I spend alot more than that. And have friends who spend double that. And they are single! All depends on a choice of lifestyle, how content we are living very basic and our philosophy about our remaining years. 

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I spend alot more than that. And have friends who spend double that. And they are single! All depends on a choice of lifestyle, how content we are living very basic and our philosophy about our remaining years. 

Ten years ago I was spending much more than that and loving life.  Now I'm in a nowhere Thailand with a house on the Mekong river with a woman that has her own money.  I'm even happier now and spending under 40k ( house and car paid for) and am comfortable.   As you stated, everybody has different needs in regards to being content.  Others on this thread have dismissed people living on 20K as losers and wonder what type of person would do that?  Unhappy banal Losers?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Prices have gone skyhigh 7months later tho! ????

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is a very personal choice. I have friends who seem to be dropping like flies. I could be dead next year. You just don't know. I am not extravagant, but I live very, very well. A nice house, a new car every few years, new motorbikes for my gal and I every few years, a great art collection, plenty of good wine in the wine cooler, a new 77" OLED TV, a world class home theatre, plenty of international travel, etc. For me, it is a great lifestyle, that I could only dream of in the US. Well worth the expense and very easy to justify. Life is way too short. 

I have never been a person of extreme thrift. To each his own. 

Well said and most importantly if you are satisfied with the quality of your life, others' lifestyles aren't  important.  If I have someone that makes me laugh throughout the day and I'm healthy, I'm living well.  I guess I could still afford all the splashy extras but I found I'm happier without them at the moment. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is a very personal choice. I have friends who seem to be dropping like flies. I could be dead next year. You just don't know. I am not extravagant, but I live very, very well. A nice house, a new car every few years, new motorbikes for my gal and I every few years, a great art collection, plenty of good wine in the wine cooler, a new 77" OLED TV, a world class home theatre, plenty of international travel, etc. For me, it is a great lifestyle, that I could only dream of in the US. Well worth the expense and very easy to justify. Life is way too short. 

I have never been a person of extreme thrift. To each his own. 

Sounds like you worked hard enough and long enough to where you didn't have to be a person of extreme thrift.  

I as well have (almost) always lived within my means, and am at a point where if I don't do anything stupid, can live very well for the remainder of my years.  I'm exploring Thailand as place to maybe do that part time.

• Like 1

No need to pay more than 5k THB for comfy housing, if that's your choice.

Personally I'd choose townhouses over condos, as probably wouldn't use the amenities, (pool/gym) if having.  Prefer less neighbors, ground floor entrance, and parking right in front of the house.

Usually more m² for the same price w/kitchen for home cooking, vs a condo or rented room, on that low end price point.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

4,000bht for the ground floor shop-front.

2,500bht each for the upper 2 floors (extra if you want them to fit air-con).

Each 2 condos share a staircase.

Covered parking for m/cs round the back, parking for cars in the front.

Tesco/7-11/BigC, restaurants, bars, swimming pool all within 500m.

Originally built as shop-houses 8 years back, but they didn't sell any (3Mbht) so they converted them to condos, 1 on each level of the original shop-house.

P_20180820_103118 (1).jpg

Thanks for posting. No problem with these! I'd enjoy living in one myself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for posting. No problem with these! I'd enjoy living in one myself.

Me too!

Mostly populated by female students attending MaeJo University.

I'd be OK in one of these, if I didn't have all the hangers on living with me.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Love It 1

On 11/8/2022 at 10:40 AM, BostonJoe said:

We live in Hua Hin family of 3 with 4 more mooching off us , so 7 all together . House, cars paid for. We spend  around 150 thousand Baht a month  If I could just get rid of thr 4 free loaders  Anyone have interest in my sister inlaw let me know

Why on earth do you allow them to 'mooch' off of you :crazy:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1