Any tips on growing outdoors?

On 11/24/2022 at 6:02 PM, DontDoubtMe said:

"time-consuming nutrient regime"...

you dont give your plants any nutrients at all? just bad tap water or rain water?

do you at very least ph the water?

Not needed for Thai strains growing outdoors in fresh soil.

But oddly enough my hybrid seeds from the west require both Ph and nutrients in soil and can't take full sunlight.

I've found a strange mix of ways to grow my seed bank hybrids.

16+hrs of light/day during veg, in a tent but taken outside under 50% shade for the day. A cup of nutrient/water mix WESCO 30-20-10+TE (1gm/ltr) at Ph6 every day on the soil.

Normal Thai daylight for flower under 50% shade, taken out of the elements at night, a cup of WESCO nutrient/water mix WESCO 30-20-10+TE and 0-52-34 (2gm/ltr) at Ph6 every day on the soil.

Saves on the electricity and the bugs don't seem to like being moved around.

I had a lot of bug problems when just growing in a tent.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oldscool said:

I’m reluctant to take this thread further off topic, but in answer to the previous questioner and for the correction of some of the numerous misunderstandings about growing outdoor landraces in their natural environment – ie Thai landraces in Thailand :

1. I can grow Thai sativas outdoors year round in Thailand: they are natural 12/12 species perfectly adapted to Thailand’s year round 12/12.

2. The claim that outdoor grown buds are mediocre is strange. When I and many others here started smoking, there was only outdoor grown natural landrace marijuana, and all indoor hybrids and runts since then have been bred from those original outdoor landraces for the European and Nth American markets, mainly because Europe and Nth America have the wrong climates for natural marijuana, but also for the tent growers who are space-constrained (plus ruderalis for the real indoor runts).

3. Thai stick is unsurpassed. And the very same original Thai stick landraces are still grown in Thailand, as I have described in some detail in another thread.

4. Artifical nutrients are completely unnecessary today for natural strains, just as they have been for thousands of years. I can’t comment on whether they’re necessary for tent-growers growing artificial strains. But my guess is that the European and North American indoor cannabis industries has a vested interest in controlling seeds, nutrients, lighting, cooling, tents, fanning, and all the other things that are unnecessary for natural landraces grown in their natural enviroment. After all, there are no naturally occurring European or Nth American strains of marijuana other than the non-psychotropic ruderalis runts used to breed indoor strains.

5. Ph-ing the water or soil is another time consuming activity that artificial indoor growers seem to  spend time and money on. But the evidence of thousands of years says this is not necessary for landraces grown in their native environment – eg Thai sativas in Thailand. Clearly some soils are better than others, but finding good soil here is not difficult. In rural Thailand, the water irrigation system is extensive, as you'd expect in a country where 35-40% of people work in agriculture. (No, I don't use tap water.) My soil and water are regulary tested by the Thai Ministry of Agriculture, as are all organic farms. Anyone can apply for such tests.

6. There are numerous organic methods of pest control and fertilization, and they’re in use by the many organic farms here in Thailand, not just cannabis farms.

As for yield:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0sT7au8zQAdzLC7dPyULf1BkKkCvSK91TwDm1yPBv1HFRo7dDwKUDF56PmJ8yBZDbl&id=100083200937492&eav=AfZlLa6j6tR94ufFqos2E4FprqJ8g0t8GjcJuVdBNtBqcoUmT7ztri3W_ezV9X4N5tI&m_entstream_source=feed_mobile&paipv=0

(hope the link works for you, some people seem to be having difficulty with the FB links).

In summary, I have 10s or 100s of thousands of years of nature on my side of the debate, and you have 3 or 4 decades of capitalism and big business on yours.

Have a nice day.

So you are saying a natural landrace strain is far superior to any indoor grown plants? 

It's fine you like the outdoor plants and enjoy growing them. But stop acting like they are better than indoor plants in anyway besides electricity costs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not "slagging off" anybody's method nor advertising my own outdoor growing method, which I've already stated is still evolving. I was merely replying to the OP's topic about outdoor growing tips before others tried to hijack the thread.

All, and I mean ALL hybrids were bred from natural landraces, and Thai sativa was foremost among these landraces.

I understand than many people have invested money and time into tents and electronics and electricity bills, and for a variety of reasons, not least of all concealment in prior times.

But the simple truth is that Thailand is home to the most influential native landrace marijuana species in the cannabis industry. (I'll be posting archive interviews about this on another thread next week). 

These landraces are plentiful here and perfectly adapted to the climate; they were and still are grown without any of the paraphernalia that the European and Nth American cannabis industries market to people who live in less fortunate climates which have no landraces of their own.

Have a good evening.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, oldscool said:

I'm not "slagging off" anybody's method nor advertising my own outdoor growing method, which I've already stated is still evolving. I was merely replying to the OP's topic about outdoor growing tips before others tried to hijack the thread.

All, and I mean ALL hybrids were bred from natural landraces, and Thai sativa was foremost among these landraces.

I understand than many people have invested money and time into tents and electronics and electricity bills, and for a variety of reasons, not least of all concealment in prior times.

But the simple truth is that Thailand is home to the most influential native landrace marijuana species in the cannabis industry. (I'll be posting archive interviews about this on another thread next week). 

These landraces are plentiful here and perfectly adapted to the climate; they were and still are grown without any of the paraphernalia that the European and Nth American cannabis industries market to people who live in less fortunate climates which have no landraces of their own.

Have a good evening.

excellent. no harm. i am not trying to fight about it.

lets see some pictures of your plants

15 hours ago, oldscool said:

I’m reluctant to take this thread further off topic, but in answer to the previous questioner and for the correction of some of the numerous misunderstandings about growing outdoor landraces in their natural environment – ie Thai landraces in Thailand :

1. I can grow Thai sativas outdoors year round in Thailand: they are natural 12/12 species perfectly adapted to Thailand’s year round 12/12.

2. The claim that outdoor grown buds are mediocre is strange. When I and many others here started smoking, there was only outdoor grown natural landrace marijuana, and all indoor hybrids and runts since then have been bred from those original outdoor landraces for the European and Nth American markets, mainly because Europe and Nth America have the wrong climates for natural marijuana, but also for the tent growers who are space-constrained (plus ruderalis for the real indoor runts).

3. Thai stick is unsurpassed. And the very same original Thai stick landraces are still grown in Thailand, as I have described in some detail in another thread.

4. Artifical nutrients are completely unnecessary today for natural strains, just as they have been for thousands of years. I can’t comment on whether they’re necessary for tent-growers growing artificial strains. But my guess is that the European and North American indoor cannabis industries has a vested interest in controlling seeds, nutrients, lighting, cooling, tents, fanning, and all the other things that are unnecessary for natural landraces grown in their natural enviroment. After all, there are no naturally occurring European or Nth American strains of marijuana other than the non-psychotropic ruderalis runts used to breed indoor strains.

5. Ph-ing the water or soil is another time consuming activity that artificial indoor growers seem to  spend time and money on. But the evidence of thousands of years says this is not necessary for landraces grown in their native environment – eg Thai sativas in Thailand. Clearly some soils are better than others, but finding good soil here is not difficult. In rural Thailand, the water irrigation system is extensive, as you'd expect in a country where 35-40% of people work in agriculture. (No, I don't use tap water.) My soil and water are regulary tested by the Thai Ministry of Agriculture, as are all organic farms. Anyone can apply for such tests.

6. There are numerous organic methods of pest control and fertilization, and they’re in use by the many organic farms here in Thailand, not just cannabis farms.

As for yield:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0sT7au8zQAdzLC7dPyULf1BkKkCvSK91TwDm1yPBv1HFRo7dDwKUDF56PmJ8yBZDbl&id=100083200937492&eav=AfZlLa6j6tR94ufFqos2E4FprqJ8g0t8GjcJuVdBNtBqcoUmT7ztri3W_ezV9X4N5tI&m_entstream_source=feed_mobile&paipv=0

(hope the link works for you, some people seem to be having difficulty with the FB links).

In summary, I have 10s or 100s of thousands of years of nature on my side of the debate, and you have 3 or 4 decades of capitalism and big business on yours.

Have a nice day.

that link is for what ? terrible video showing a big plant ? big whoopie. 

thai stick is not actually a strain as you have inferred. as you know it was a way of presenting bad bud to be sold. kind of like the gimmicks you speak of in reference to north america and cannabis. 

that big monster plant in the truck would have very low levels of thc in it and you know it. 

you are so right....growing indica cannabis in canada is the wrong climate. o wait no it's not. as you know indica originates from the mountains between afghanistan and pakistan. these locations have much different growing conditions when compared to thailand. shorter flowering periods and a much different growth structure. here is a grow in canada showing how plants do not do well in that climate....

11 hours ago, oldscool said:

these strains are also quite weak in comparison. 

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not needed for Thai strains growing outdoors in fresh soil.

But oddly enough my hybrid seeds from the west require both Ph and nutrients in soil and can't take full sunlight.

I've found a strange mix of ways to grow my seed bank hybrids.

16+hrs of light/day during veg, in a tent but taken outside under 50% shade for the day. A cup of nutrient/water mix WESCO 30-20-10+TE (1gm/ltr) at Ph6 every day on the soil.

Normal Thai daylight for flower under 50% shade, taken out of the elements at night, a cup of WESCO nutrient/water mix WESCO 30-20-10+TE and 0-52-34 (2gm/ltr) at Ph6 every day on the soil.

Saves on the electricity and the bugs don't seem to like being moved around.

I had a lot of bug problems when just growing in a tent.

i am talking about tap water, stale rain water in a bucket, well water, river water. there is no care given to growing landraces outdoors. its really a lazy way to grow weed and then to claim it is the best marijuana in the world and superior to any indoor grow is completely wrong.

just because someone throw a seed in the ground and said "whatever happens, happens" doesnt mean its the best weed in the world. there is little (to no) knowledge about growing and even less care given to the plant.

i get it, hes an old guy that cant accept things have changed for the better and hes stuck in the 'old man mentality'. but we are comparing a ford model t to a tesla right now.

but who knows, maybe i am wrong and indoor grows around the world will all shut down because the extremely high quality outdoor thai weed is now available for everyone to import.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

By the way, I'm not suggesting that Ph and nutrients are not important, but it must surely be obvious even to non-growers that if you grow an indigenous species in its native soil then the condirions MUST be in the correct range. And this applies to all species of plants, not just marijuana.

The hydroponics boom is probably largely responsible for the obsession with nutrient regimes, for obvious reasons. But clearly this does not apply to native species grown in native conditions.

Try growing Thai sativa landracees outdoors in Afghanistan - it will be suboptimal. Try growing Afghani indica landraces outdoors in Thailand - it will be suboptimal.

Try growing any landrace in Europe (apart from ruderalis) or Nth America - it will be suboptimal.

Try growing Thai sativa outdoors in Thailand - the conditions are optimal.

24 minutes ago, oldscool said:

By the way, I'm not suggesting that Ph and nutrients are not important, but it must surely be obvious even to non-growers that if you grow an indigenous species in its native soil then the condirions MUST be in the correct range. And this applies to all species of plants, not just marijuana.

yes so your soil must be pure native soil? no additives at all right? no worm castings, bat guano, nothing, correct?

25 minutes ago, oldscool said:

The hydroponics boom is probably largely responsible for the obsession with nutrient regimes, for obvious reasons. But clearly this does not apply to native species grown in native conditions.

you also must use rain water only. or well water. or river water because clearly tap water wasnt around for thousands of years when thai weed was 'perfected'.

we are all still waiting for pictures of your plants. but you seem too scared to show off your pride and joy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

^ Maybe it's the camera or the lighting but those plants look distressed. Nitrogen deficiency?

Meanwhile in crappy Humboldt County...

almostheaven.jpg

My Thai seeds look just as bad, tall and thin with hardly any flower, and the bottom leaves all falling off. My hybrid seeds look a lot better, and it's not as if 100bht of WESCO fertilizer a year will break the bank.

But the Thai guy living opposite me has some great looking landrace plants with plenty of flower. I think the main problem is, you don't quite know what seeds you're buying in Thailand. 

My Tropical Punch is looking fairly good outside, maybe an ounce ......

IMG_20221126_122034.jpg

IMG_20221126_122118.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

You're right about uncertainty re buying seeds Britman.

My approach is to buy outdoor grown buds and use the seeds from the buds - large outdoor grows using regular seeds inevitablly pollinate and create more seeds. This way I'm sure the seeds are fresh and I know in advabce the exact teffect of each strain I grow - and they definitely are different strains as can be seen in the bud formations. 

I often ask my supplier for the end-of-the crop seedy run for that very reason.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, oldscool said:

You're right about uncertainty re buying seeds Britman.

My approach is to buy outdoor grown buds and use the seeds from the buds - large outdoor grows using regular seeds inevitablly pollinate and create more seeds. This way I'm sure the seeds are fresh and I know in advabce the exact teffect of each strain I grow - and they definitely are different strains as can be seen in the bud formations. 

I often ask my supplier for the end-of-the crop seedy run for that very reason.

oh jeez now you dont even know what "thai landrace" genetics you are even growing?

you are just growing bagseed and claiming its a premuim thai 'landrace' strain?

do you know exactly where you weed is coming from when you beg for free seeds?

its not laos or cambodia weed, surely. right? its all pure 100% thai "landrace" weed you are buying?

if you are so obsessed with thai strains why not buy real thai heritage strains and grow them?

crazy that you are growing bagseed and telling all indoor growers how bad their weed is.

all while claiming that growing bagseed is the best way to grow, and the best weed you can get.

• Love It 1

59 minutes ago, oldscool said:

Would point out you have no idea who was the daddy.

Could be 50% hemp as MJ pollen is good for 10Km.

My feminised hybrid seeds are 100% the strain I chose as no male plants were involved.

13 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

By that you mean wet weight, right.

Dried and cured maybe a ~ 5 grams?

This guy crushed it, https://growdiaries.com/diaries/129755-grow-journal-by-hydro-hiebs

It's got 10x the branches of buds like the one in my hand.

And another 3-4 weeks of flowering.

I doubt they would total 5gm.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2022 at 3:41 PM, oldscool said:

As for yield:

Have a nice day.

We just germinate and plant in a big pot containing home made compost.

They all grow just fine.

You are right,don't mess with nature.

• Like 2

Just in case any of the new growers here are a bit confused about the role of nutrients I thought it would be a good idea to clarify.

Many/most tent growers seem to use completely inert growing mediums like coco coir or hydroponics, or almost completely inert growing mediums like peat moss.

Another word for “inert” is sterile – ie zero nutrient content. That’s why tent growers use commercial chemical nutrients. Such nutrients are very easy to use – you just follow the manufacturer’s regime that’s supplied with the bottles/powders that they sell.

But most outdoor growers use living soil which is rich in nutrients to begin with. So there is no necessity to add chemical nutrients.

Of course if outdoor growers wish to add organic nutrients they can, but it’s not essential.

One common and very simple recommendation for organic outdoor growers is to bury a fish under their plant site – a Thai tilapia for example, available everywhere in Thailand. The benefit of this is that it provides a very slow release of nutrients as the fish rots. I’ve read that this can be a bit stinky if you’re growing in a pot rather than directly in your garden soil.

I haven’t tried this method yet myself, but I’m planning to give it a go in my next run, so that I can compare the results with a zero-fish grow. I’ll probably chop the fish up first to assist or speed up decomposition.

There are some excellent youtube outdoor master growers, but they’re growing hybrids in Europe or Nth America, which is very different from growing Thai native landraces in Thailand. So almost all  of their recommendations I have found to be of limited value here in LOS - the Land of Sativa.

Happy growing all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 2:11 PM, SenorTashi said:

they'll grow no problem, but you wouldn't get a decent yield unless they had more light. the first few weeks are crucial. I probably grew about 100 autos in natural light in france over the years and the lowest I ever got was 1 gram (because I grew it in February to see what would happen) In mid summer, they normally yielded between 10g and 40g. I heard you can get much more under lights.

I recently harvested an indoor grown auto Blueberry and got 62 grams dry.The most I got from an auto. Coco peat and vermiculite ewc in a 3 gal pot.Synthetic nutes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know more about indoor than outdoor too and bought an original strain 3 weeks ago, they grow like magic, no full soon seems to be the trick to grow healthy.

As of outdoor only give water and gonna make clones out of another one too. 

I take it on my motorbike to travel sometimes, they seem to like it.

55038861-FDA8-46C4-A8DA-40A08E14BEFF.jpeg

37194E11-16C1-4DF5-A14D-6DF141382A2D.jpeg

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Trippy said:

Why are your yields so low? I grow indoors and get 100 grams or more per plant, outdoors you should be getting many more times that amount.

I don't believe you!

I know dozens of growers, and the pros do a bit better, but not a lot better.

And if I did get 100gms/plant, what would I do with it?

I only need 1/2gm a day for my medical condition and it doesn't keep well.

I usually end up giving most of it away.

Edited by BritManToo