Tax reductions of 80% on electric vehicles to reduce pollution

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: 80% tax reduction

Daily News reported on an announcement today in the Government Gazette about electric vehicles.

There will be tax reductions of 80% on such vehicles for a three year period from today.

This is to promote better air quality by limiting pollution.

It's part of a plan by Thai prime minister Prayuth Chan-ocha after receiving a royal command.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rbkk said:

Why buy an electric vehicle anywhere but in a city with power sources? 

Tesla are introducing a Rural Thailand, model later this year, called the Yabadabadou,  this should overcome any charging station issues.

tessla.JPG

Edited by Orinoco
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Think this maybe only available on selected models.

d.JPG

Wow!  I like that.  Where can I find one in Pattay?  A perfect runaround for Pattaya, except for what looks like lead acid batteries instead of Lithium Ion batteries.

Charging?  I'll do that at home, or in an emergency at one of the EV Charging Stations in Pattaya.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I've only seen two or three charging stations in our provide in Issan.

They'll need more charging stations for sure and a map of where they are. 

There's a few in Issan ... if looking:

image.png.c4f8d7e778af2c124c70171a7ad60a53.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Now I just need an overpriced electric car. 

You mean like a top end Honda Jazz for ฿754k

vs something like the MG EP Plus for ฿771k

You drive the Honda off the lot, and you lost 25% value

Your drive the MG off the lot, and it stays the price.

You top of the fuel on the Honda every week for ~฿1500

You top up the MG 2X for probably ~฿500

Or -0- if you have solar.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

vs something like the MG EP Plus for ฿771k

While I am very much on your side and the side of EV and renewable energy, we still need to discuss batteries because so far it broke any calculation and/or use case I have seen.

I have inverter/batteries and solar panels running in Lagos, because there is no stable electricity provided. Batteries hold 5kW and need to be replaced at least every 3 years which makes electricity quite expensive.

For that reason I refuse to switch to solar panels in Thailand despite having plenty of space and sunshine: The panels are cheap and effective, but the battery lifespan kills every calculation.

I don't mind a limited range of 200km and premium on the initial purchase.

But I will not want to worry about battery replacement in my car, when it's the most expensive part.

Edited by IgboChief

23 hours ago, lujanit said:

The article says

"eighty percent of the rate prescribed under (11) of the annual tax rate annexed to the Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522 as amended by the Motor Vehicle Act (No. 14) 2007 for a period of one year from the date of registration of the vehicle."

So it is not three years and it is not on the government tax when buying a car.

how do they calculate yearly tax on electric vehicles

23 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I've only seen two or three charging stations in our provide in Issan.

They'll need more charging stations for sure and a map of where they are. 

I think PTT are adding them at their sites which will help. There's a new one in Mahasarakham and I think there are EV chargers there.

There are several different aspects to increasing EV vehicles. Cost, availability of different vehicles, charging infrastructure, clean production of electricity, ethics around mining of lithium and probably several more. The details of this tax reduction isn't clear to me but if it helps then great. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, steve187 said:

how do they calculate yearly tax on electric vehicles

You go to renew, and they tell you how much ... ????

It's a good headliner, but seriously, what are you saving, maybe 1800 baht for 3 years, on a 700k-1m baht purchase.  Oh Joy.

OK, haven't a clue how much, and too lazy to actually go look in the car at the payment.

Don't think it's going to be a deciding factor for anyone.  Just the people that complain Archa now cost 35 baht a can instead of 33 ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, digger70 said:

So they say. Where's the so called Clean Power coming from? 

Dirty Power stations . Is that Limiting pollution?

Hopefully they will deal with that as well.  These things take time and just waiting for everything to be right at the same time won't work. 

I don't know how green power generation is in Thailand right now so I can't say how relevant your comment is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You go to renew, and they tell you how much ... ????

It's a good headliner, but seriously, what are you saving, maybe 1800 baht for 3 years, on a 700k-1m baht purchase.  Oh Joy.

OK, haven't a clue how much, and too lazy to actually go look in the car at the payment.

Don't think it's going to be a deciding factor for anyone.  Just the people that complain Archa now cost 35 baht a can instead of 33 ????

Based on that it doesn't seem much of a game changer.

Maybe if they tried the plan they used in 2012 but without making a complete mess of it. We bought our Honda Jazz using that. The problem with it was unlike in other countries where the tax reduction (I can't remember how much but it was worth it) was available if you gave up your current vehicle so not increasing vehicle numbers here it I was if it was your first car. In a lot of cases that meant an extra vehicle rather than replacement and there were apparently a lot of old people who couldn't drive suddenly owning big pickups and SUVs. 

3 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Hopefully they will deal with that as well.  These things take time and just waiting for everything to be right at the same time won't work. 

I don't know how green power generation is in Thailand right now so I can't say how relevant your comment is.

Yes ... it's a work in progress people.  Slow at that, since those selling the dirty fuel are paying big $$$ to prolong their profits as long as possible.

Remember how long, or fast it took to stop heating all houses with coal 60 yrs ago, and only because the same conglomerates control the oil & nat. gas supplies.   The transition to clean, if ever, will take even longer.   Especially IF YOU wait for them, and the corrupt politicians to lead the way.

NEWS FLASH ... YOU do NOT have to wait.  Go solar and get an EV.

You'll save a $hit load of money in the short, and long run.  And maybe give your kids & grandkids cleaner air.  Along with maybe 1°C less temp over the next century or 2.

UP2U

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes ... it's a work in progress people.  Slow at that, since those selling the dirty fuel are paying big $$$ to prolong their profits as long as possible.

Remember how long, or fast it took to stop heating all houses with coal 60 yrs ago, and only because the same conglomerates control the oil & nat. gas supplies.   The transition to clean, if ever, will take even longer.   Especially IF YOU wait for them, and the corrupt politicians to lead the way.

NEWS FLASH ... YOU do NOT have to wait.  Go solar and get an EV.

You'll save a $hit load of money in the short, and long run.  And maybe give your kids & grandkids cleaner air.  Along with maybe 1°C less temp over the next century or 2.

UP2U

Yes that's the problem. 

I've thought about EV as I could charge at home if the supply to the house will stand it. Lights dim a little as the electric shower comes on now. I know from posts some time ago including from Crossy that there is, or was a limit to the power available unless you paid to upgrade it.

If solar were an option then that would help but I suspect cost might be an issue although that could change. 

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's a headliner, not a whole lot more.  "Look, we're saving the planet"

While taking big $$$ from big oil/gas/coal, not to make it easy to put solar on every roof in the country.

Simple solution to simple problems.

That was a decade ago and in other countries the motivation was to remove old inefficient vehicles from the road and replace them with one's that use less fuel.  Thailand seemed to avoid that with their take on it. Things are different now and EVs are much better. 

Hopefully in terms of vehicle fuels at least the big companies are beginning to see the longer term financial advantages of cleaner fuel and since money rather than oil is their motivation they may change. Politics may be what is holding things up. 

7 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Yes that's the problem. 

I've thought about EV as I could charge at home if the supply to the house will stand it. Lights dim a little as the electric shower comes on now. I know from posts some time ago including from Crossy that there is, or was a limit to the power available unless you paid to upgrade it.

If solar were an option then that would help but I suspect cost might be an issue although that could change. 

Strangely the EV, on the granny charging, draws less than the 3500w water heater ... 3.5 vs 2.3kW ????  

3 minutes ago, kimamey said:

That was a decade ago and in other countries the motivation was to remove old inefficient vehicles from the road and replace them with one's that use less fuel.  Thailand seemed to avoid that with their take on it. Things are different now and EVs are much better. 

Hopefully in terms of vehicle fuels at least the big companies are beginning to see the longer term financial advantages of cleaner fuel and since money rather than oil is their motivation they may change. Politics may be what is holding things up. 

It's reassuring that PTT, the state owned oil provider, will be producing EVs & batteries for, from one of their wholly owned subsidiary, along with putting more CSs at the petrol plazas.  That's a bit telling and all headed in the right direction.

• Thumbs Up 1