'Not a repudiation': Joe Biden holds off red wave, gets unexpected boost from midterm election

onthedarkside

39 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm an Independent and feel disgust any time I have the misfortune to accidentally watch Tucker, but the hour before (Bret Baire) was refreshing. They were looking objectively at what went wrong with what SHOULD have been a sweeping victory.

IMO p##sing off all women voters except the religious ratbags was a gift to the Democrats

from the Supreme Court, when it turned down Roe vs. Wade. Trump then made it worse for Republicans by endorsing the decision.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Democrats breathing sigh of relief, but despite the closeness of the race, their conspiracy theories about the death of democracy etc didn't give them a decisive win either.

A lot of lessons will be learned for the next election. Hopefully the GOP will do better next time.

Is that what they are saying down in New Zealand today?! Rather surprising New Zealanders are not concerned with North Shore teens terror plot, but feverishly watching US midterm elections. You just never know what Kiwis are up to. 

Edited by LomSak27
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Is that what they are saying down in New Zealand today?! Rather surprising New Zealanders are not concerned with North Shore teens terror plot, but feverishly watching US midterm elections. You just never know what Kiwis are up to. 

I'm hardly typical of NZers. No idea what they are interested in as the ones I know are not on line all the time and don't care about who runs the world. They care about domestic issues and politics. I haven't heard about any terror plot, but wouldn't surprise me at all. Child criminals are out of control, gangs are out of control etc.

Horrid times are coming this way, IMO.

27 minutes ago, Credo said:

And then there was a big one that made up the minds of a lot people a long time ago -- abortion.  I know a number of Republican women who do not agree with the overturning of Row v. Wade.  The ease with which the Republicans embraced a denial of a right was scary to many.   

Whether one believes abortion is murder or not, is it not concerning that people think it's the same as birth control, which it isn't?

There never was a constitutional right to abortion, so it was returned to the individual states where it should always have been. Want abortion- vote in state politicians that will pass laws to allow it.

Are American women unable to access birth control that doesn't involve killing a foetus?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have a prediction that I am very  confident about.

You're seeing DeSantis at a very high point in his career.

He does not face a cake walk to the presidency.

There is much to be revealed and publicized that won't smell as nice.

Also to note if it's clear that Trump won't  be nominated early enough Biden probably won't even run. Biden would beat Trump again but probably nobody else.

To those that think the democrats don't have a bench you are very wrong.

The Dems have no one at this point, and unless Biden quickly says "Yeah, not again in 2024" and they find someone talented and charismatic (which VP Harris is NOT), then Republicans could run a spoiled ham sandwich as the Republican presidential candidate and win.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Seems to me like the Democrats are trying to spin this into some kind of victory.

So the senate race is going down to the wire and it looks like they will lose control of the House of Representatives, allowing Republicans to block Biden's agenda.

If that is hailed as a victory, they must have set the bar pretty low.

35 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Biden surprised many pundits even with so much headwinds and yet emerged in much better shape than either of his Democratic predecessors, Barrack Obama and Bill Clinton, both took a hammering at the midterm. This midterm election will be remembered more about the Republican Party not able to seize the moment for a landslide victory and the Trump's gamble that didn't pay off. Trump now has the dishonour of presiding over 2 disastrous midterm elections. He should take the cue and stay out of politics. 

The Democrats definitely outperformed expectations since the gerrymandering of new redistricting was expected to net a 20 seat boost to the Republicans.
Several people have mentioned the trends. Below is a snapshot of the history showing how only GW Bush's first mid-term (aided by post 9/11 fervor) showed a bigger deviation from the typical mid-term drubbing of the president's party.
MidTermTrend.jpg.4cc4eac3d7711c20bc0e790c71d73794.jpg

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The Dems have no one at this point, and unless Biden quickly says "Yeah, not again in 2024" and they find someone talented and charismatic (which VP Harris is NOT), then Republicans could run a spoiled ham sandwich as the Republican presidential candidate and win.

Agree. I really, really hope they wheel Hillary out again, or failing her, Harris IMO would be as big a turn off as Hillary was.

From this point on I reckon the next POTUS ( not Trump ) is going to be GOP unless they blow it big time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Brett Baer is about the only objective and honest person on at Fox News.  Many will not know this name but I really miss Charles Krauthammer.  For 2024 I see DeSantis and possibly a Tim Scott or even a Niki Haley on the ticket.  I think the Trump Train has run out of steam.  Dr.  Oz couldn’t even beat an obviously impaired guy with a bad goatee who was wearing a hoodie.   The person who gave Dr. Oz his show, Oprah, endorsed Fetterman.  Trump endorsed Oz.  

You appear to confuse disliking Trump with being objective. I watched a lot of Fox and IMO he's no more honest/ dishonest that any other talking head on Fox, but he certainly never disguised that he didn't like Trump.

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

People want the country to heal and stop being truly divided.  The Trump legion is likened to the followers of the kool-aid cult led by Jim Jones.......

They probably do, but as long as Dem politicians talk like you do that ain't going to happen, IMO. Healing happens when one side reaches out to the other to co operate, not when they are attacking those they disagree with.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The polls sure dont back up your statement at all. 

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You appear to confuse disliking Trump with being objective. I watched a lot of Fox and IMO he's no more honest/ dishonest that any other talking head on Fox, but he certainly never disguised that he didn't like Trump.

I’m not confused.  Brett Baer is not Hannity or Carlson or Ingraham or the three clowns in the morning show.  Based upon this comparison he is honest and objective.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Credo said:

[ . . . ]   We are facing an energy crisis of epic proportions.  We are facing an existential climate crisis and severe water shortages in the west and southwest.  [ . . . ]

Very much like the recession of 50 years ago.  And no new episodes of "Sanford and Son" this time.  For me living through it is the re-run.

It began with the price of gasoline, which was around 30 cents per gallon in 1970, and had been that much for years, the prices were painted on the signs.  By 1980 the price went above $1 and has never gone back.  But also as is being claimed now there is an everything shortage: supply is down for (item name here) because (insert excuse here) and when it re-appears the price has doubled.  Certain pharmaceuticals are in short supply this time, which I find suspicious.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

?????? ONLY if it's 50/ 50. If either party has even only a one seat majority she has no place in the senate.

Perhaps you hadn't noticed but senate hasn't been decided yet.

False. If any vote is 50/50 then you will find that she does have a place.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I’m not confused.  Brett Baer is not Hannity or Carlson or Ingraham or the three clowns in the morning show.  Based upon this comparison he is honest and objective.  

Can't be honest and objective based on comparison. Either one is or one isn't. You may prefer his viewpoint to the others, but that doesn't make him any more of either than them. I get that you hate Trump, but that doesn't mean Bret is better or worse than them.

Anyway, Trump is probably over, so what's the point of going on about him any more?

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Baer likes to depict himself as one who does not drink the Fox kool-aid (in not as many words), and yeah, he may not be a screaming nutter but don't lose sight of what team he's on.  There is plenty of leaning rightward in his reporting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

We are in the worst inflation in most people's lifetime.   We are facing an energy crisis of epic proportions. 

Inflation wasn't a thing 2 years ago so can't blame him for it.

Energy crisis? There was no such crisis 2 years ago and fracking made the US energy independent of imports- they even started exporting oil. So, who stopped the fracking?

1 hour ago, Credo said:

Inflation is, in large part, caused by supply chain issues.   The Republicans never addressed the issue.  They just blamed Biden.   

No supply chain issues 2 years ago, so what changed? The Republicans were not in charge when they became a problem.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Baer likes to depict himself as one who does not drink the Fox kool-aid (in not as many words), and yeah, he may not be a screaming nutter but don't lose sight of what team he's on.  There is plenty of leaning rightward in his reporting. 

IMO there is no difference in his political bias- he just doesn't like Trump.