Woke phrases that p*ss you off....

simon43

23 hours ago, dddave said:

How about: "Very unique" or "somewhat unique" or "This resort is more unique than the others." Drives me nuts. Unique is singular and solitary, something is unique or it is not. 

I give you 'iconic' which now seems to mean slightly unusual and also 'awesome' which used to mean terrifyingly shocking but now means quite good.

15 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Exactly. Racism against white people is off the charts and BLM started it all. I'm glad I was born when I was (65 years ago) when things were calmer and nicer in the world. 

There was no social media (worst thing that ever happened to mankind) where people "share" their incites and stir up a hornet's nest with people who can't accept a differing opinion. Back then people shared their opinions with their friends and family instead of the entire world. Crazy world. I wish we could back up 40 years and start again with a smarter approach.

While there are some silly people out there, racism against whites isn't off the charts.

Too many mediocre white guys liked the world better when opportunities for women or minorities were unavailable or severely limited. That made it easier for mediocre white guys to compete.

A real man welcomes all competition. That's the only way one can test one's true level of skill and talent. It's also the only way---competing against everyone---where a man or any other person can take genuine satisfaction in one's accomplishment.

There are some pockets of racism in the world today, but often they have as a target a non-white. Think of all the young people turned down by Harvard because---despite having great grades, test scores, activities, etc.---they're Asian. That bastion of liberalism on the West Coast---Berkeley---does the same thing: quota limits on Asians. Seems....unfair.

At the other end, the time has come to accept all on merit. At my grad school (Stanford Business), the admissions staff did not know anyone's race, unless there were obvious clues (though I think they even blocked names that suggested ethnicity). Every one of us in the class knew every person in the school---no matter their color---earned admission. The only exception might have been a few students who were children of billionaires.....good for the endowment.

• Thanks 1

The american  good morning.    GOOD MORNIN' GOOD MORNIN' WEVE PASSED THE WHOLE NIGHT THRO'

Get away, you really made it all thro' the night. Some achievement that ! Then you wake up to destroy the King's English with your Good Mornin'.  Some of you may recognise this is from Fab Radio 103 FM slot. Sorry fellas.

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

While there are some silly people out there, racism against whites isn't off the charts.

Too many mediocre white guys liked the world better when opportunities for women or minorities were unavailable or severely limited. That made it easier for mediocre white guys to compete.

A real man welcomes all competition. That's the only way one can test one's true level of skill and talent. It's also the only way---competing against everyone---where a man or any other person can take genuine satisfaction in one's accomplishment.

There are some pockets of racism in the world today, but often they have as a target a non-white. Think of all the young people turned down by Harvard because---despite having great grades, test scores, activities, etc.---they're Asian. That bastion of liberalism on the West Coast---Berkeley---does the same thing: quota limits on Asians. Seems....unfair.

At the other end, the time has come to accept all on merit. At my grad school (Stanford Business), the admissions staff did not know anyone's race, unless there were obvious clues (though I think they even blocked names that suggested ethnicity). Every one of us in the class knew every person in the school---no matter their color---earned admission. The only exception might have been a few students who were children of billionaires.....good for the endowment.

The racism I see comes from Hollywood and the media. There are so many gameshows on TV these days where no more than 15% of the audience is black and yet everyday between 33% and 44% of the contestants called up to the stage are black. If a black person hasn't won enough prizes in the first half of the show they keep calling black people's names. How can an audience with 15% black people in it have 75% (3 of 4) of the contestants at any given time?

One show has 3 contestants every night and one of them is always black. It wasn't that way before BLM. Blacks make up just 12% of the population in the US yet it seems like it's 50% at times.

On TV there are FAR more black people getting spots in commercials and TV shows. Again, it wasn't that way before BLM.

When you watch the looting and smash and grabs on TV that involves hundreds of people you never see a white person in the group. 

I agree with your take on universities. They are currently being sued for reverse discrimination and some no longer allow a "quota" of any given minorities. Admission is now based on grades and test scores.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 2:34 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Like, you are posting to the World on social media saying how bad social media is and how much better it would be if people just spoke to their friends and family .

You could indeed go and speak to your friends and family instead of posting om SM

Posts beginning with 'LIKE' p**s  me off!

And folk who begin the answer to a question with 'ABSOLUTELY'

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:26 PM, Walker88 said:

A real man welcomes all competition. That's the only way one can test one's true level of skill and talent.

"Equity" (which has now been transformed to mean "an outcome that reflects things like racial or gender composition") ensures that a "real man" can compete all he likes, but he ain't going to get anywhere if he happens to be white and of sound mind and body.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 5:47 AM, HuskerDo2 said:

On TV there are FAR more black people getting spots in commercials and TV shows. Again, it wasn't that way before BLM.

That's not something I'm aware of as I won't watch tv any more ( except for Al Jazeera news channel and they don't have ads beyond promoting the airline ).

Anything they have that's watchable is plagued with so many ads that I refuse to be a target demographic any more.

56 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's not something I'm aware of as I won't watch tv any more ( except for Al Jazeera news channel and they don't have ads beyond promoting the airline ).

Anything they have that's watchable is plagued with so many ads that I refuse to be a target demographic any more.

No ads on BBC !

Just now, KannikaP said:

No ads on BBC !

I can't get BBC without paying for it and the BBC isn't worth my money. It went woke years ago. I used to be an avid Casualty fan, from the very first episode with a very young Charlie Fairhead driving a clunker Land Rover.

I hadn't seen it while in LOS and when I got the chance about 2 years ago I watched one episode, and had to stop half way through. They turned a great concept into some woke pile of steaming manure. Shame as it used be excellent.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I can't get BBC without paying for it and the BBC isn't worth my money. It went woke years ago. I used to be an avid Casualty fan, from the very first episode with a very young Charlie Fairhead driving a clunker Land Rover.

I hadn't seen it while in LOS and when I got the chance about 2 years ago I watched one episode, and had to stop half way through. They turned a great concept into some woke pile of steaming manure. Shame as it used be excellent.

A free VPN and the BBC is your oyster.

On 11/13/2022 at 5:58 PM, toofarnorth said:

Interesting .  Remember B & W televisions or coloured.

B & W tv was ok. The Avengers was great till it went colour, then they must have changed the writer or something as I didn't like it any more. Dr Who was better with Patrick Troughton when it was B & W.

Many of the greatest British movies were in B & W, IMO.

On 11/12/2022 at 4:46 PM, allanos said:

Gay.

What is wrong with the word homosexual?

I accept that words like "queer", or "fag" are abhorrent but

it is no reason to turn a perfectly good word into something

quite meaningless. And, if truth be told, many homosexuals

are anything but "gay" in a literal sense.

The word "gay" has been hijacked from the English language.  

It once meant "happy and joyful", but no longer.

I think it's a shame.

I blame Larry Grayson........."Ooh! What a gay day"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm lucky to even get wifi that works, so VPN, whatever that is, is not going to be on my list of essential things.

A VPN i a Virtual Private Network which allows your PC or phone to appear to be in another country, with a different IP address. Some are free, others range in price.

I live 35 km from the nearest city, in the 'jungle' and have 1Gb/s internet from 3BB directly, through the trees, to my router. Bht 749 a month.

Also have DTAC SIM card with unlimited mobile data for Bht 1400 a year.

Where the hell do you live?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

A VPN i a Virtual Private Network which allows your PC or phone to appear to be in another country, with a different IP address. Some are free, others range in price.

I live 35 km from the nearest city, in the 'jungle' and have 1Gb/s internet from 3BB directly, through the trees, to my router. Bht 749 a month.

Also have DTAC SIM card with unlimited mobile data for Bht 1400 a year.

Where the hell do you live?

It's not a question of where I live, it's a question of how many people are using the same wi fi and as soon as too many it stops working. I used to go on it after midnight to be sure, till the gamer moved in next door and it's hit and miss now. Don't expect me to understand the technicalities, but a tv expert told me that was the problem.

To be certain of getting on the internet I'd have to pay for my own private access, and I don't do enough on line to make that worthwhile.

Certainly not going to pay for something I'd only use a couple of hours or so a day. The wifi is good enough for what I do, as long as I can wait.

BTW, I'm not in Thailand and internet costs way more than what you are paying.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not a question of where I live, it's a question of how many people are using the same wi fi and as soon as too many it stops working. I used to go on it after midnight to be sure, till the gamer moved in next door and it's hit and miss now. Don't expect me to understand the technicalities, but a tv expert told me that was the problem.

To be certain of getting on the internet I'd have to pay for my own private access, and I don't do enough on line to make that worthwhile.

Certainly not going to pay for something I'd only use a couple of hours or so a day. The wifi is good enough for what I do, as long as I can wait.

BTW, I'm not in Thailand and internet costs way more than what you are paying.

Good enough WiFi to be on Asean Now though.   555

• Haha 1

If you want to see the woke development of the BBC (and woke generally) look for Silent Witness (available on BBC iPlayer).  This police/pathology whodunnit series began in 1995 and continues to this day.

In 1995 there was never a single black face to be seen.  By 2000 you could see minor police officers of "bame" provenance, and by 2010 you began to see blacks  in senior police positions (nearly always female).

It's all basically woke in outlook, but it doesn't go out of its way to make  men (especially white men) look dumb.

In these truly modern times, the show has Clarissa (of the "ableist" community) who, despite her physical infirmity, manages to help solve the most complex of crimes.  So far we have not seen a trannie.  (However, I have only seen the show up to 2019.)

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

B & W tv was ok. The Avengers was great till it went colour, then they must have changed the writer or something as I didn't like it any more. Dr Who was better with Patrick Troughton when it was B & W.

Many of the greatest British movies were in B & W, IMO.

Your last sentence  T.  The other day I watched Whistle down the wind , a young Hayley Mills , about 1961 . Quality was good and altogether an excellent film , if it was in colour , or even worse re-made it would in my opinion not worth watching.