Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Yes, no good deed should go unpunished.. right?  Shame that the UK didn't make put the burden of repayment of this loan on the shoulders of Germany as a condition of their surrender and then this headline may well have read "why is Germany struggling more than other countries".

Exactly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kwilco said:

I think you failed O level economics amongst many other subjects....... do you really think it works like that? Would you like to try giving a more der=tailed reasoning? I didn't think you would or could.

Right...hands up...how many of us failed O level economics? I didn't - for the simple reason that it wasn't offered.

But A-Level, yes. 

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

And I have repeatedly stated that the difference doesn't warrant the assertion! Move on.

You can constantly repeat whatever you want, I am making a clear observation that your claim does not even match the evidence in the link you provided. I'll move on when I please is that ok with you?

On 11/20/2022 at 9:05 AM, RayC said:

Problem is that there is no evidence to suggest that things will get better. It's nothing but blind faith to suggest otherwise.

The UK almost never had to enact any legislation from Brussels that it didn't agree with. 

You have to be kidding? 

Treaty Law is primary EU legislation and any member signing that treaty is obliged to follow the entire treaty. EU Regulations are also binding on member states. EU Decisions are also binding on one or more (selected) member states.  Even EU Directives are expected to appear in national law in some form, eventually.

All this, while having to accept that EU Law held primacy over UK Law! 

Little choice but to follow the Brussels Jazz Band - unless a member elects to leave the EU, of course. 

On 11/20/2022 at 5:12 AM, ozimoron said:

UK always retained it's sovereignty and foreign policy. The only compulsion from Brussels were economic measures for cooperation signed up for by the UK. The loss of this cooperation cost the UK dearly and will continue to do so until the UK replaces brexit with something close to what they had before.

You have no idea have you? UK sovereignty was steadily eroded over five decades of EEC/EU membership via a succession of treaties and thousands of regulations, enforced by the primacy of EU Law and the CJEU.

Foreign policy would have been next - the EU was proposing to create the posts of both EU Foreign and Finance Ministers in its European Parliament sets out its vision of 2017. This same 'vision' also calls for an EU Defence Union and a future convention to establish the European Armed Forces by the 2020's - something that Clegg flatly denied as a "dangerous fantasy" during the pre Brexit debates. 

34 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You have to be kidding? 

Treaty Law is primary EU legislation and any member signing that treaty is obliged to follow the entire treaty. EU Regulations are also binding on member states. EU Decisions are also binding on one or more (selected) member states.  Even EU Directives are expected to appear in national law in some form, eventually.

All this, while having to accept that EU Law held primacy over UK Law! 

What you say is correct - apart from the first sentence - but you should have read what was written more closely. I'll repeat it here for ease of reference:

"The UK almost never had to enact any legislation from Brussels that it didn't agree with." 

This is a true statement. It is a fact that between 1997 - 2014, the UK was forced to enact 3% of EU legislation which it had voted against. This, btw is a similar figure to Germany.

In any organisation, there will almost inevitably be times when certain players find themselves in a minority. However, the notion that the UK was somehow a persecuted minority when it was an EU member is another fallacy.

No matter how hard you try to wish away these statements, they will still remain correct when you reopen your eyes. I have posted a link supporting my statement about "the 3%" in direct reply to you on 3 previous occasions. I will not do so again.

Some may argue that the chaos and negative economic effects which Brexit has caused to the UK over the past 6 years - and which looks likely to continue for the foreseeable future - is a price worth paying to regain this "3% of sovereignty". I strongly disagree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Several to choose from, take your pick.

You're telling me!!? They just keep coming no matter how many times they are factually rebuked.

Some unkind souls might suggest that Brexiters were illogical.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I acknowledge that Brexit had negative economic effects. There you go. Not rocket science. 

Thank you. Maybe some of your fellow Brexiters will follow your lead (although I doubt it)?

20 minutes ago, nauseus said:

But with the prospect of the EU vision of a total European merge being realized, I'd say there's a good chance we will end up being intact, and better off, in the long-term

(Time for a sing along)

".. and then you go and spoil it all by saying something stupid ..."

There is no evidence to support anything in your second paragraph.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RayC said:

What you say is correct - apart from the first sentence - but you should have read what was written more closely. I'll repeat it here for ease of reference:

"The UK almost never had to enact any legislation from Brussels that it didn't agree with." 

This is a true statement. It is a fact that between 1997 - 2014, the UK was forced to enact 3% of EU legislation which it had voted against. This, btw is a similar figure to Germany.

In any organisation, there will almost inevitably be times when certain players find themselves in a minority. However, the notion that the UK was somehow a persecuted minority when it was an EU member is another fallacy.

No matter how hard you try to wish away these statements, they will still remain correct when you reopen your eyes. I have posted a link supporting my statement about "the 3%" in direct reply to you on 3 previous occasions. I will not do so again.

Some may argue that the chaos and negative economic effects which Brexit has caused to the UK over the past 6 years - and which looks likely to continue for the foreseeable future - is a price worth paying to regain this "3% of sovereignty". I strongly disagree.

It is you who should have read what was written more closely. There are no votes on treaty law - sign it or not. That's it. Your 3% number has nothing to do with this.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RayC said:

Thank you. Maybe some of your fellow Brexiters will follow your lead (although I doubt it)?

(Time for a sing along)

".. and then you go and spoil it all by saying something stupid ..."

There is no evidence to support anything in your second paragraph.

Read my other post about the proposals for foreign and finance ministers. Oh and the army too.

42 minutes ago, RayC said:

You're telling me!!? They just keep coming no matter how many times they are factually rebuked.

Some unkind souls might suggest that Brexiters were illogical.

I would suggest remainers were illogical because,

1. The UK has already left.

2. No political party wants to rejoin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

That all you got? Someone tries to spread a myth about bananas being banned and you just deflect from this attempt by brexiteers to mislead and misinform...

It was a poor try to have a laugh (banana/skin/get it) but there is no point with the misery guts gang, is there?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I would suggest remainers were illogical because,

1. The UK has already left.

2. No political party wants to rejoin.

Two tangential and largely irrelevant statements.

The fact that the UK has left the EU is completely irrelevant when it comes to the false statements being made about the EU by Brexiters.

It's true that no UK political party has committed outright to rejoining the EU, but the LibDems have stated that they will rejoin the Single Market; the Labour party and the Greens would seek closer ties and the SNP see their future inside the EU (albeit outside of the UK).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Read my other post about the proposals for foreign and finance ministers. Oh and the army too.

Seems like a good idea to me for the EU to speak, through a single person on the international stage, on matters such as the economy and international relations where the bloc is in agreement.

There is no suggestion that either of these positions would replace similar posts at the national level. 

In any event, it is no way that it is a prelude to a "total European merge" (as you put it). That would require a new Treaty/ Treaty change, something that requires unanimous approval from the member states!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

It is you who should have read what was written more closely. There are no votes on treaty law - sign it or not. That's it. Your 3% number has nothing to do with this.

The text of a treaty doesn't come out of nowhere. The main actor is the Council of elected governments. It is elaborated by the Council based on consensus, usually during conventions, then during an intergovernmental conference. The ratification is just a formal procedure, the government's of member states have elaborated it and approved it before.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/documents-publications/intergovernmental-conferences/

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 3:37 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just that I have never heard anyone from England mention it at all , ever.

because you never heard anybody mention it at all....  it doesn't mean there aren't people mentioning it

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You seem to have missed the nuance in the reply. One needs an old fashioned British sense of humour to get it though.

Seems to me a lot of people mislaid a sense of humour during lockdowns and can't find it again. Rare to see a happy person any more.

Sad, angry world we live in now.

OK, Could you explain the joke/humour to me ?

2 hours ago, RayC said:

Two more completely erroneous, factually incorrect and misleading statements.

EU Treaties - or amendments to treaties - require unanimous approval from all member states: Any individual EU member state can veto Treaty change. Therefore, this idea that the UK - or any other member state - could have been (can be) dragged, kicking and screaming against their will into a United States of the EU is complete and utter nonsense.

My original statement that the UK almost never had to enact any legislation from Brussels that it didn't agree with still holds true.

But when did either ever happen concerning anything of substance? Treaties that were rejected once were just rehashed and offered again (Denmark and France) - all have been accepted in one way or another. 

You are dreaming. However, as you say. the ultimate choice was always available to the UK, as Brexit demonstrates.