A day of chaos brings Twitter closer to the brink

Scott

image.png

Two weeks after Elon Musk completed his acquisition of Twitter, the future of the company has never looked less certain.

In the past week alone, one of the world’s most influential social networks has laid off half its workforce; alienated powerful advertisers; blown up key aspects of its product, then repeatedly launched and un-launched other features aimed at compensating for it; and witnessed an exodus of senior executives.

The wild swings at Twitter only seemed to accelerate on Thursday with more executive departures, growing chaos over fake, verified accounts and an unusual public rebuke from the US government.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/11/tech/twitter-chaos-musk/index.html

CNN.jpg

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

“It is the mark of the mind untrained to take its own processes as valid for all men, and its own judgments for absolute truth.”

Aleister Crowley, 

Magical and Philosophical Commentaries on The Book of the Law

E.A Crowley Wasn't all he wrote and involved in, Montauk, Men-an-Tol, Magic(k) & Occult etc.

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

E.A Crowley Wasn't all he wrote and involved in, Montauk, Men-an-Tol, Magic(k) & Occult etc.

Nonetheless the quote on hubris applies to musks twitter misadventure. 

Edited by metisdead
Spelling error corrected.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But maybe he is not as smart as he thinks he is.

From an experienced businessman I would have expected that he familiarizes himself with his new company. What exactly is going on?

And then: What do I want to change?

And then not: Just do it.

Instead: Think about if it will work in the way you think it will work. Do you have the resources? Will people accept what you want? Talk with other people. Simulate. Think again. And if then, after looking long enough at the details, you still want to do it, then do it.

It seems he is just shooting from the hip and somehow hoping all will be fine. 

Probably he can afford it if things go bad before maybe they will get better.

But why does he not think a little harder before he just does something?

I don't think he cares too much. Apparently he is due a Tesla bonus which could amount to 56 billion.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/business-news/elon-musks-56-billion-tesla-pay-under-review-in-delaware/438727

Edited by stevenl
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't think he cares too much. Apparently he is due a Tesla bonus which could amount to 56 billion.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/business-news/elon-musks-56-billion-tesla-pay-under-review-in-delaware/438727

But then, why did he buy Twitter? Just because he can?

There must be other toys out there which don't create so much headache. 

New Twitter owner Elon Musk sells almost $4 billion in Tesla stock

Twitter’s new owner and Tesla CEO Elon Musk sold nearly $4 billion worth of Tesla shares, according to regulatory filings.

Musk, who bought Twitter for $44 billion, sold 19.5 million shares of the electric car company from Nov. 4 to Nov. 8, according to Tuesday’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/new-twitter-owner-elon-musk-sells-almost-4-billion-in-tesla-stock

12 minutes ago, wombat said:

the brink of what?
twitter seems to be going along the same as it ever was...
its more a case of being conditioned by whomever gains from that sort of excrement

propaganda mind.jpg

What does it mean that "twitter seems to be going along the same as it ever was"... ? Have you taken a look at its financial situation. Twitter gets 90% of its revenue from advertisers. They are fleeing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Twitter user growth remains steady.

Anyone who ever worked at a company with 70k employees knows 30% need to go.  Look at zuck laying off 11k at Meta.  I read twitter has offered some laid off workers their jobs back.  I'm won6hiw many visa workers will be exiting the US?  And how these tech layoffs will effect the housing market?

Employees are probably hired post Elon with new contracts with new wording.   I read He is demanding 40 hours work in house or he considers you are resigning.   New ownership is the perfect time to lay off people.  Your sort of immune from lawsuits, the economy hasn't looked like this in 4 decades.   Charging for the blue verification seemed smart to me.  But like Thailand he didn't think about all the details. Some of these people really benefit in financial ways. 8$ or 20$ is nothing.  Not exactly sure why the advertisers are pulling out so much.  I read it started with one big ad agency pulling all it's customers ads.  Is it this related to Elon's comment that he may restore Trump's account?  Hope he will restore mine.    Twitter was really a good COVID news source in Feb 2020.  I was subbed to some of the doctors saying this was a big deal.  I flew through Shanghai Dec 26 19' was deadly sick Jan 2-7 in BKK. Still felt a bit off Jan 25 when I returned via Seattle the day after they say the first US case arrived in Seattle.   I had brain fog for 2-3 months year before it was a thing.  I spent hours a day reading about this emerging COVID.  Just wished I did the things in my 401k that I thought about in late Feb.  

It is going to be interesting to see how this Twitter saga goes.  

For those who never used Twitter and followed a couple hundred important people you can't understand how it works.   Do I think  the Russians  influenced "the"  election via Twitter as a tool?  Yes I do. 

Go Elon I wish you the best but just don't get to conservative on us. 

Edited by Elkski

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

From an experienced businessman I would have expected that he familiarizes himself with his new company. What exactly is going on?

Instead: Think about if it will work in the way you think it will work. Do you have the resources? Will people accept what you want? Talk with other people. Simulate. Think again. And if then, after looking long enough at the details, you still want to do it, then do it.

Certainly agree, but he is not your average businessman? He always seems to think outside of the box and then comes up with something? This time, i don't know, but I wouldn't put anything past him?

• Like 1

I suspect Musk is acting like Twitter is going to go bust to stop the avalanche of hatred and scrutiny he would face if he fired thousands of workers for financial reasons. We can see how Musk is held to a completely different standard than other "woke" tech companies. Just look at Zuckerberg and Facebook who also need to axe thousands of workers. How does the media phrase that situation?

https://aseannow.com/topic/1277119-facebook-owner-meta-expected-to-announce-major-job-losses/

Job losses? Oh too bad, poor Mark. Sounds like he really tried to save them but alas it was too difficult for the guy. Not his fault anyway.

Yet when Musk needs to get rid of the dead wood and excess staff he is of course a monster. Did Musk fight to save the precious workers jobs like Mark did? Did he heck, he FIRED them and his company is "roiling in hate speech". Bad bad Elon Musk.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1276061-elon-musk-reportedly-fires-top-twitter-executives-as-he-takes-over-company/page/4/

If you consider Twitter workers probably average $100k salary, firing 3,000 of them makes quite a difference. And as for the claims Musk fired workers then -because he is so dumb - he had to try hiring them back, which the left wing msm went all-in over, it is clearly to hire them back on proper work contracts ie turn up at the office and put this many hours in or you're sacked. Basic common sense.

• Like 1

I think few of us can understand these billionaires. G. Soros favours the Left while Musk, the Right. The kind of wealth these, and other billionaires have, must influence how they work and think, not to mention those who try gain influence from them or on them. At their level of wealth I suspect life is whole different 'ball game' and they must be constantly looking over their shoulder to see or find out who is doing what etc.

Twitter has debt of 18.5 billion...i suppose if musk declares bankruptcy that may disappear and he could stiff a lot of suppliers etc as well.  Not sure how it would all shake out $$ wise for musk but seemed to work well for his orange haired hero that seemed to delight in not paying the "suckers" who performed a lot of work for him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Twitter has debt of 18.5 billion...i suppose if musk declares bankruptcy that may disappear and he could stiff a lot of suppliers etc as well.  Not sure how it would all shake out $$ wise for musk but seemed to work well for his orange haired hero that seemed to delight in not paying the "suckers" who performed a lot of work for him.

I think Musk had to personally pledge Tesla shares as collateral. So no corporate bankruptcy will protect him.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I obviously don't know, but IMO he may be so PO about having to buy it he may just not care if it goes under. He's so rich it might be a tax write off.

• Like 1