A day of chaos brings Twitter closer to the brink

Scott

Elon Musk says Twitter bankruptcy is possible, but is that likely?

Before Elon Musk took over Twitter, it was hardly a gangbusters business. The company is only occasionally profitable. Its userbase and advertising revenue is puny compared to social media rivals like Facebook and TikTok.

Yet the possibility of a looming Twitter bankruptcy was not a fate anyone ever seriously discussed.

Now, however, under the chaotic leadership of Musk, the mercurial billionaire has reportedly told staff that bankruptcy could be nigh if Twitter does not start making more money.

(more)

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/12/1136205315/musk-twitter-bankruptcy-how-likely

NPR.jpg.c56e39f263d7b13bc07e82dbe9c84849.jpg

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. That says it all about people that use <deleted><deleted> sites like twitthing.

Go on a social media web site to be told which way to vote :cheesy:

If it doesn't work why do the Russians and Chinese keep doing it?

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

I've only used Twitter to follow Richard Barrow, and can't even be bothered to do that any more.

Got to be better with Musk owning, as before it was like reading MSM news, and only 1 opinion was allowed.  Pretty much the same with all media outlets.

1 hour ago, Credo said:

I have tried to read up on Musk and his style of management but haven't found much that is in-depth about him.  He is on the Autism spectrum and that may be part of his genius, but like most such people, it may be limited to specific areas.  Twitter doesn't appear to be one of those.   

In his other endeavors, there is a definite product that is easily identifiable.  It is easier to put expectations on production to workers.  Twitter operates in the area of human behavior.  That is a whole different kettle of fish.  His Emotional Quotient is rather low, I suspect.

Pushing the limits of technology in launch vehicles and electric cars is challenging, but the challenges abide by known laws of physics.  Social media is an entirely different game.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 5:25 PM, Elkski said:

Not exactly sure why the advertisers are pulling out so much.  I read it started with one big ad agency pulling all it's customers ads.  Is it this related to Elon's comment that he may restore Trump's account?

That isn’t why they pulled out. It was due to fears that musks plans for tw*tter would allow hate speech to proliferate on the app. 

I’m fairly sure they’ll be back if he takes actions to ameliorate those fears. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

I have tried to read up on Musk and his style of management but haven't found much that is in-depth about him.  He is on the Autism spectrum and that may be part of his genius, but like most such people, it may be limited to specific areas.  Twitter doesn't appear to be one of those.   

In his other endeavors, there is a definite product that is easily identifiable.  It is easier to put expectations on production to workers.  Twitter operates in the area of human behavior.  That is a whole different kettle of fish.  His Emotional Quotient is rather low, I suspect.

What!! So he was faking emotional connectivity when he did the washing up in a homeless shelter on a thanksgiving episode of Big Bang Theory! I’m shocked. 

sarcasm alert. 

• Like 1

And apparently, there have been more layoffs:

Elon Musk has fired even more Twitter workers

The layoffs continue apace at Elon Musk's Twitter.

Twitter reportedly laid off thousands of contractors this weekend with no notice or warning. Casey Newtown, a tech reporter who writes the Substack, Platformer, reported on Sunday that Twitter laid off approximately 4,400 of its 5,500 contract employees.

https://mashable.com/article/elon-musk-fires-more-twitter-workers

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What you call "hate speech" is actually fact-checking.

I think you are confusing 'fact-checking' with fact-hiding, as evidenced by the banning of the NY Times when they factually reported on the Hunter Biden laptop as this could have had an impact on who they wanted to win the last election in the US.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, James105 said:

I think you are confusing 'fact-checking' with fact-hiding, as evidenced by the banning of the NY Times when they factually reported on the Hunter Biden laptop as this could have had an impact on who they wanted to win the last election in the US.

"factually reported" LOL Where are the charges? Deep State!!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, James105 said:

Well, I don't know what the NY Times, who admitted to holding up publication of the emails, has to do with  Twitter.   

• Thanks 2

Personally I am spending much more time on there, and much less time on other platforms.

Some of it is absolutely hilarious. I never get posts removed because my political opinion doesn't align with the mods, Lots of different opinions, memes, videos etc. If something offends me, I am free to not look at it. What's not to like?

• Like 2

Just now, JonnyF said:

Personally I am spending much more time on there, and much less time on other platforms.

Some of it is absolutely hilarious. I never get posts removed because my political opinion doesn't align with the mods, Lots of different opinions, memes, videos etc. If something offends me, I am free to not look at it. What's not to like?

Freedom not to look at it doesn't make any difference if the rhetoric is assembling a large crowd of pitchfork bearers. Hate speech needs to be as illegal in the US as it is in every other western democracy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Freedom not to look at it doesn't make any difference if the rhetoric is assembling a large crowd of pitchfork bearers. Hate speech needs to be as illegal in the US as it is in every other western democracy.

Pitchfork bearers? ???? Get a grip...

There was always insults on Twitter (if that's what you mean by hate speech, I'm not sure as I am not fluent in Woke). It was directed at the right. You obviously wouldn't mind that though...

• Thanks 1