Yellow book troubles reporting to DOPA

14 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Until I was issued with my Yellow Book/Pink ID Card immigration asked for photocopies of my Thai wife's Blue House Book and her ID card. Now, they accept a photocopy of my Yellow House Book. 

Thx.

Now a days you can just give them the Wife's ID card and no need for those copies any more (I had them with me, even had the YHB with me but not needed)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

even for my retirement extensions the increasingly dog-eared TM30 notification slip in my passport has done the trick thus far as regards proof of address!

Wow! After a trip to the Embassy and MOFA, finding fault with the transcription (performed by a Thai) must rank as just about the pinnacle of awkwardness. My Amphur delighted in telling me to go through this same process again when they already held the same documents obtained recently for marriage. 

At my last Retirement Extension application in October 2022 the IO requested photocopies of all TM28's/TM30's stapled inside my passport, something they had not done previously. I fail to see the importance of the historical ones but I didn't argue!

21 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Until I was issued with my Yellow Book/Pink ID Card immigration asked for photocopies of my Thai wife's Blue House Book and her ID card. Now, they accept a photocopy of my Yellow House Book. 

This is also my experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:
2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Please explain the "Only used for Retirement Extensions." part of this.

I just did my Retirement Extension and YHB was NOT needed

Perhaps I have missed something. I have always presented copies of my wife's ID card & house book as proof of address. So are you saying that it's a big deal that you now only have to present a photocopy of your YHB instead of the two pages of your wife's ID & house book? This is a serious post and not a pi$$take from someone who doesn't have a YHB/pink ID card.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Perhaps I have missed something. I have always presented copies of my wife's ID card & house book as proof of address. So are you saying that it's a big deal that you now only have to present a photocopy of your YHB instead of the two pages of your wife's ID & house book? This is a serious post and not a pi$$take from someone who doesn't have a THB/pink ID card.

I was asked to explain why someone else who has a Yellow Book wasn't asked for it (maybe didn't have it with them, offer it or wish to show it)? Difficult to answer that. My wife was previously asked to sign her photocopies in front of the IO. Now that is no longer necessary. She may no longer need to close her shop for a half-day if her presence is no longer required? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

I was asked to explain why someone else who has a Yellow Book wasn't asked for it (maybe didn't have it with them, offer it or wish to show it)? Difficult to answer that. My wife was previously asked to sign her photocopies in front of the IO. Now that is no longer necessary. She may no longer need to close her shop for a half-day if her presence is no longer required? 

Thanks mate. I understand now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Perhaps I have missed something. I have always presented copies of my wife's ID card & house book as proof of address. So are you saying that it's a big deal that you now only have to present a photocopy of your YHB instead of the two pages of your wife's ID & house book? This is a serious post and not a pi$$take from someone who doesn't have a YHB/pink ID card.

I know we use the same IO (afaik). During my visit for renewal of my retirement extension (last week) the girls at the front desk took the id card of my wife, I asked if they wanted copies (as I came prepared) but no not needed. Everything was done electronically and they only asked her to write down her phone number.

I was by the IO not asked if I had a YHB (which I have)

Edited by MJCM
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I know we use the same IO (afaik). During my visit for renewal of my retirement extension (last week) the girls at the front desk took the id card of my wife, I asked if they wanted copies (as I came prepared) but no not needed. Everything was done electronically and they only asked her to write down her phone number.

I was by the IO not asked if I had a YHB (which I have)

I don't take she-who-must-be-obeyed with me when I go to renew my permission to stay (retirement). I just get her to sign copies of her ID and house book which I present to the IO along with the other required docs, and that seems to be acceptable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I don't take she-who-must-be-obeyed with me when I go to renew my permission to stay (retirement). I just get her to sign copies of her ID and house book which I present to the IO along with the other required docs, and that seems to be acceptable.

????

We always go together because it is also one of those days that we go shopping as well.

On 1/19/2023 at 3:46 PM, Billy Bloggs said:

Just as a new add to this, it is still an ongoing saga, my wife contacted someone in the Bureau of Registration Administration(BORA) yesterday and we were told to go to Buri Ram Amphur and see if we could get some help from them after the guy handling our request for a yellow book threw my wives phone back at her when she said someone from BORA wanted to speak to them. Not much help really as the big position there said just go see the big village head( after they had told us it would be easy to do in Buri Ram), all of this came about after we had our 2 witnesses seen, then a government employee our next door negihbour a police officer, then the local village head and finally the big village head who we have tried to contact to no avail)  all of this taking up more and more time.

So the other guy wont work with us now and the new guy who my wife shielded me from she is worried that I may lose it with them is a little better but not much as he said he would get it done in 10 days and we should be polite and go and see the big village head not just ring him, what my wife should have asked how are we supposed to know all these procedures when they arent stated anywhere.

Dogmatix gave you wonderful advice early on in this thread. Not sure why you never even acknowledged that post. 

Under the Civil Registration Act district offices have an obligation to register all foreigners residing in their districts. The interpretation of “residing” seems to be generally taken as being on longer term visas, eg NON-B and marriage and retirement extensions. Your DO is in breach of the law for not registering you. The problem is that DO heads are allowed to operate like little hitlers and often come up with their own laws.

If you want to pursue it, you could write to BORA in Bkk which supervises DOs. If they ignore the letter, you could sue the head of registrations at your DO in the Administrative Court which handles disputes between private citizens (including foreigners) and government departments. This is a big hassle for you but also for government officials who get sued and they often have to keep going to court hearings in retirement as cases drag on. So they are generally scared of getting sued there.

First of all I would recruit a lawyer or any well educated, knowledgeable Thai to go along with you and ask to see the head of registrations to sort out a misunderstanding. Show him the relevant section of the Civil Registration Act and ask him to explain why he thinks your case is not covered in the law. 

A work around that has been done in similar cases would be to get a Thai friend in another district to register you in their household and then transfer to your own district. I don’t think they can refuse to transfer someone who is already on a tabien baan, as there are specific regulations for this and they are not allowed to “disappear” people already registered. People who cannot be registered  in a specific household, eg when a householder reports someone has left their household but there is no corresponding report of their new household or new borns reported by hospitals but not yet registered in family household, have to be registered in the district’s central pool of people registered but unattributed to a household. I think it would be a headache for your DO and/or the one  you leave if your DO refused to register in a household a person already registered somewhere else.

Thailand is a very hierarchical social structure and if your wife is on the lower rungs of the ladder, she will never fix this issue(especially after this boss has lost face), you need outside help,need to pay someone to fix this for you, or alternatively go to the ombudsman - https://www.ombudsman.go.th/new/

Edited by Neeranam

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Makes me seriously wonder, though, whether the OP might be best off following in my footsteps by throwing in the towel on this whole charade - unless, of course, he needs a yellow book and pink card for the purposes of seeking permanent residency or Thai citizenship eventually.

I agree, the only time I have needed my YHB was for getting around the residence cert from immigration to renew my driving license. 

however someone else will of course disagree and say it’s very handy, but  as always. YMMV

ps; already have the YHB for well over 6 years

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I agree, the only time I have needed my YHB was for getting around the residence cert from immigration to renew my driving license. 

however someone else will of course disagree and say it’s very handy, but  as always. YMMV

ps; already have the YHB for well over 6 years

I had similar experiences taking years to get YB basically had to wait for some harpy to go away.

Finally seeing some huge file of foreigners issued yellow books, facial photograph and personal details visible fully I asked so what was the problem I had to wait for years?

"Foreigners move away, sell condo or die" and don't surrender the yellow book " creating some paperwork problem for the Amphur.

So this month I went to renew my 5 year driving licenses in Chiang Mai. I used an agent to cut in the month long reservation system. She was shocked I had a Yellow book said now "impossible" to get even with an agent.

How to Thai banks benefit by not issuing accounts to foreigers? Still no answer to that.

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

Makes me seriously wonder, though, whether the OP might be best off following in my footsteps by throwing in the towel on this whole charade - unless, of course, he needs a yellow book and pink card for the purposes of seeking permanent residency or Thai citizenship eventually.

I agree, I only got a yellow HB as I needed it to get Thai citizenship. 

It's not needed for anything else, although saves a trip to immigration every 5 years when renewing drivers licence, well only of you don't have a WP. 

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do banks in other countries like USA , UK give accounts to foreigners with no job? 

Yes!!!

Banks in the US, UK, France and, I'm quite sure, many other countries across the world will welcome new customers and open bank accounts even to customers without a job!

Chase

Barclays

France

Sorry I didn't check with all the banks in every country! 

It'd be, really, great if you'd check your own "statements" before posting and spreading fake stuff

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Do banks in other countries like USA , UK give accounts to foreigners with no job? 

Yes, many do. Actually, I don't know about USA and UK. But I know several European and Asian countries where they do it.

In the UK some banks - such as Metrobank - do, so long as the foreigner has correct long term Visa (marriage, study - or work), and proof of postal address such as council tax bill or utility bill. Getting credit is not easy though. No job requirement.

11 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

In the UK some banks - such as Metrobank - do, so long as the foreigner has correct long term Visa (marriage, study - or work), and proof of postal address such as council tax bill or utility bill. Getting credit is not easy though. No job requirement.

OK, so most don't. Metrobank's requirements are similar to banks here. Thailand is not any harder to get a bank account than anywhere else.

11 hours ago, doosyhindleg said:

Wow,

It all sounds too silly for words!

I’ve had two Yellow books & Pink ID’s issued in both BKK & Hua Hin in under 40 minutes on both occasions. As some have stated though, they aren’t all that important. 

The issue is not renewal of the YHB (I just recently moved addresses and it took 30 mins to get a new YHB (with the longest wait was for the Head Honcho to sign)) but the INITIAL Issue of the YHB (cq getting the ID Number (starting with 6) is where the problem lies.

For me that took

+/- 2 days wait at the Amphur

3 witnesses (incl Tabien Baan & ID card)

1 passport translated

etc etc

On 11/15/2022 at 3:44 PM, TigerandDog said:

The village head is mandatory as he has to sign books in the DO confirming you actually live in the village.

Well I didn't have the 'village head' attend or sign anything, so i'm calling BS. sorry but true.

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well I didn't have the 'village head' attend or sign anything, so i'm calling BS. sorry but true.

It totally depends on the Amphur you are dealing with.

For me I needed 3 witnesses (inclu Village Chief) and incl Tabien Baan and ID and they all had to fill in a form!

Edit: Completely Forgot, you also had to be Married, a Friend (who wasn't married) got refused.

Edited by MJCM

Just wondering why it is necessary to change YHB? 

Address change?

Little story

We build our current house just over 2 years ago, and I got the YHB on the address of our old House (which is still owned by the Wife but it's mostly empty now).

I never bothered moving the YHB to the new address, but beginning of the Year I went to immigration to ask are there any new requirements for getting a new year extension.

The guy I spoke to said 2 things: 1) Bank Statement going back 3-6 months and 2) YHB with current address.

That 2nd one was a total shock, but @blackcab (in a thread I opened about it) said to move addresses (if you have a YHB already) was real easy. And thus I changed address and thus got a new YHB (old one I still have, but has a stamp which says "Moved out") (Done and dusted in about 20-30min at the Local Amphur)

Long story shorter, did my extension at IO and NO YHB needed ????

So I moved the YHB new house for nothing ????

My guess a new YHB would be necessary if for example we had sold the OLD house and the new owner would not like that I kept registered there. But this is total speculation on my part.

Or if you move provinces. That is about it (someone will of course correct me when I am wrong about this)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2