Moving away from using an agent

I have an American passport and a retirement visa with a one year extension I obtained from an agent in Pattaya. I have been doing the 90 day reporting with them for almost a year, but now I have a permanent address in Samut Prakan and I want to do it the right way. I am currently in the USA and will be returning to Thailand Dec 11 and I want to do the TM30 and have my Samut Prakan home registered as my permanent address. I am concerned that since I used the agent in Pattaya, I might have trouble with the immigration in Samut Prakan. Does anyone have any insights or advice on this matter?

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, eddyod said:

I have an American passport and a retirement visa with a one year extension I obtained from an agent in Pattaya. I have been doing the 90 day reporting with them for almost a year, but now I have a permanent address in Samut Prakan and I want to do it the right way. I am currently in the USA

I take it you got a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand (unfortunately some guys don't & find themselves back on a 30/45 day Visa Exempt stamp). 

Coming back into Thailand resets the 90 day clock so I would recommend going straight to immigration to register a change of address (you're supposed to do this within 24 hours of entering Thailand), In Pattaya this was via the TM30 form but there is a different TM (27 or 28) form that might be required by your IO, then at any time 15 days before (or up to 7 days after) the 90 days is up, go in & do your report.

You should have no problems, I doubt they'll even notice your extension was done elsewhere, mine was done in Bangkok approx. 2 weeks before I moved to Pattaya & they didn't blink an eye when doing my TM30 or my 1st 90 day report (NB the TM30 does not reset the 90 day clock so be sure to do your 90 day within 90 days of entering Thailand).

Edit to add: I also use an agent to do my extensions & did that particular one 44 days before it was due so I could have moved to Pattaya with 1 month left on the previous year's extension. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

When I moved from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, my first Immigration visit was taxing, with proofs of residence etc. being demanded. After that, extensions have been much easier.

It doesn't sound like the OP has much time left on his current extension, perhaps he should consider getting an agent in Samut Prakan for the first encounter.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

You should have no problems, I doubt they'll even notice your extension was done elsewhere, mine was done in Bangkok approx. 2 weeks before I moved to Pattaya & they didn't blink an eye when doing my TM30 or my 1st 90 day report (NB the TM30 does not reset the 90 day clock so be sure to do your 90 day within 90 days of entering Thailand).

That is another reason I like Pattaya. If you have a TM30 attached to your passport, I find it is super easy to get extension and they don't ask any questions at all. I go to the office next to immigration with my passport, they do all the paper works, fill up the form, take pics etc. etc.  for meagre 200 baht and then I go to the counter and take a number and wait in line. Within 30 minutes my extension is done. I'm talking about extension to a tourist visa/visa exempt entry. I did extension for retirement in 2020/22 for 15K using an agent and  went to the immigration office to take a pic only for five minutes. 

few things;

do you have re-entry visa? if so when you entered to thailand 90 days starts again you dont need to worry about 90 days. 

- normally if you didnt change your visa you dont need to report TM30. But obviously you are changing your address so you need to report TM30. totally up to the IO officer, they might want to see your old TM30 so take it with you. 

- if you changed your visa, what happened to me (i used agency and i did want to do everything legal as you, so i left the country and get a visa and came back) IO asked me to see the old paper work of my old visa when i was extending. I told them i dont have non-o anymore but have non-b why they want to see my old paper work. Changwattana IO answered me because they have to connect my old visa to this one. I was so so lucky i had some copy of old paper work with me, they accepted it. So be ready.

if i were you i would just go there with my old TM30 and 90 days (just in case) copy of my passport, visa and paper work of the house (rental contract or girlfriend owner), house owner ID and house book. tell them i would like to do TM30. thats all. Not sure about 90 days report because dont know you need to extend it or not. I would found out that there too. 

good luck

5 hours ago, eddyod said:

I have an American passport and a retirement visa with a one year extension I obtained from an agent in Pattaya. I have been doing the 90 day reporting with them for almost a year, but now I have a permanent address in Samut Prakan and I want to do it the right way. I am currently in the USA and will be returning to Thailand Dec 11 and I want to do the TM30 and have my Samut Prakan home registered as my permanent address. I am concerned that since I used the agent in Pattaya, I might have trouble with the immigration in Samut Prakan. Does anyone have any insights or advice on this matter?

Are you using 800K in the bank method?

If so, have you had money in the bank (800/400) the entire time, or did the agent simply deposit 800K to get the bank letter, then immediately withdraw it?

Not a problem for TM-30, but come extension time............

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As an addendum to this topic, I just got back from Samut Prakan Immigration. It was very crowded and we waited 2 hours and that was with an appointment. The officer looked at my documents and noticed there was the agent in Chonburi and the lacking evidence that goes with using an agent. We then got lectured by the officers' boss for 15 minutes, I am not exaggerating, it was 15 minutes. So now I have to leave the country and get a new visa.

If anyone tries to switch from using an agent to trying to go legit, you may well have problems, especially in lovely Samut Prakan.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Why would he be thrown in jail? It's not as if the RTP are upholding a higher standard here is it? We are talking about the noxious collective that is the Immigration Police and not some squeaky clean, anti-graft body.

It's like a forum member last year who had his previous extensions acquired via a Pattaya agent for the convenience and not due to lack of funds. He decided he had the time to do it properly at Chaengwattana. He got his passport with a 'bad' extension chucked back in his face by a ranting, sanctimonious Chaengwattana paper shuffler who, after he got off his high horse, offered to correct his ill-gotten paperwork for only fifteen thousand baht.

Shills. The lot of 'em.

Well, if throwing him in jail, they'd also have to throw their colleague in jail. It could happen. 

Well done OP for going legal, I don't know how some who are illegal can also at night. 

• Haha 1

Once an Agent is used to obtain a 'Visa extension', Immigration will try their best so that procedure is used again and again.

They very easily see that an Agent has been used before.

Trying do get another 'extension' without the Agent, well then, "the documents that you are filing with your application for another extension, is suddenly 'outdated", so must be redone. Once it is redone, you show up again at Immigration, but then Oh, there is a need to obtain a certification from your embassy. And so one, until you feel out of time. Immigration wants you to use an Agent, first time, 35,000 Bt. in cases of no funds in the bank. Second time, with funds in the bank, 14,000 Bt. They want this money. This is  what has replaced the former brown envelopes to individual IO. This new system is governed way at the top, and money is shared, according to the will of the 'top'.

This is as legal a procedure as any other procedure.

If you change location to obtain a 'retirement extension', might be possible. But I do not know. But if you want to get this 'retirement visa extension, without the use of an Agent as you did once before, make sure you have enough time and patience, as there will be a struggle... That is the way it is...

36 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Well, if throwing him in jail, they'd also have to throw their colleague in jail. It could happen.

By who? Pol Maj Gen Surachate 'Big Joke' Hakparn?

36 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Well done OP for going legal, I don't know how some who are illegal can also at night. 

Horlicks still does it for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

After being turned away at Samut Prakan immigration, the officer there told me to go to another country and start the visa process fresh. I am now in Phnom Penh trying to get a new Non-O retirement visa.  The officer here (a Khmer lady) said "the higher ups may have problems with my visa". I have well over 800K in Bangkok Bank for over a year and I also showed evidence of my retirement accounts in the USA, and again well over the minimum requirements. I will find out in a few days what happens, but what are my alternatives if I get turned down now? Thanks in advance for any advice.

46 minutes ago, eddyod said:

After being turned away at Samut Prakan immigration, the officer there told me to go to another country and start the visa process fresh. I am now in Phnom Penh trying to get a new Non-O retirement visa.  The officer here (a Khmer lady) said "the higher ups may have problems with my visa". I have well over 800K in Bangkok Bank for over a year and I also showed evidence of my retirement accounts in the USA, and again well over the minimum requirements. I will find out in a few days what happens, but what are my alternatives if I get turned down now? Thanks in advance for any advice.

If denied a visa in Phnom Penh (not the best place to apply) enter Thailand visa exempt, and apply for the visa at immigration. The official rules when applying for the visa at immigration state that you need proof the 800k baht came from abroad, but this requirement is waived by most immigration offices if the money has been continuously in your Thai account for many months.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 6:20 PM, eddyod said:

I am concerned that since I used the agent in Pattaya, I might have trouble with the immigration in Samut Prakan.

If you are legal and fulfil the requirements what is the problem?

In Thailand people are allowed to move from one place to another.

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you are legal and fulfil the requirements what is the problem?

In Thailand people are allowed to move from one place to another.

The issue is that the agent uses money in the bank method.

Immigration checks the bank book or bank statements retrospectively.

They would look to see if financial requirements were met.

It's possible to switch back to doing it yourself but you would need to commence that process a year prior to doing it yourself. 

Some would just do a border bounce without reentry permit and reenter visa exempt and obtain a new non O having placed the 800k in bank account and obtaining subsequent extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

There is actually no reason for the OP to apply at the Thai Embassy in PnomPenh for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement. But since he already started the process he could as well follow it through.  But it is no problem at all if the OP gets turned down (or decides not to continue with his application anymore in PnomPenh). 

The process to follow then is that OP simply has to re-enter Thailand Visa Exempt which will provide him with a 45-day Permit to stay stamped in his passport by Thai border Immigration.  And then he would have to apply at the Imm Office of the province where he plans to reside, when he still has at least 15 days left on that Permit to stay (some Imm Offices require 21 or 23 days).

OP wrote 'I have well over 800K in Bangkok Bank for over a year'

Normally when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at his provincial Imm Office, the applicant has to provide evidence that +800K are on a Thai bank-account at moment of application, AND that these funds originated from abroad. 

However, in this case, with the funds already seasoned for more than 1 year that proof of foreign origin should be waved by the Imm Officer handling his application. 

Edited by Red Phoenix

8 hours ago, eddyod said:

After being turned away at Samut Prakan immigration, the officer there told me to go to another country and start the visa process fresh. I am now in Phnom Penh trying to get a new Non-O retirement visa.  The officer here (a Khmer lady ) said "the higher ups may have problems with my visa". I have well over 800K in Bangkok Bank for over a year and I also showed evidence of my retirement accounts in the USA, and again well over the minimum requirements. I will find out in a few days what happens, but what are my alternatives if I get turned down now? Thanks in advance for any advice.

take ur passport toi Cini Travel on street 130

$80  for Non O visa
OR  Just return to thaland on a visa exempt entry , convert to NON O and than ur 1 year extension.

On 3/7/2023 at 7:21 PM, novacova said:

By all means, stay away from freaking agents, due to the potential inconvenience such as this.

I have used an agent for 9 years. The agent simply does the paperwork. There is no "special consideration", as I meet every requirement. The agent just makes everything easier for me. I would never have a problem extending without my agent, as the agent did nothing but the paperwork. That said, those using an agent to get around requirements that they do not meet will eventually run into issues.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, timendres said:

That said, those using an agent to get around requirements that they do not meet will eventually run into issues.

So you use a hand holder.

Fine, however not what the OP is about.

The way to change from agent to doing it yourself has been outlined in the thread.

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Assume that's 80 USD.

Similar to when yanks refer to "fall" in lieu of month. 

OP's in the Bodja so of course it's Yankee dollars. That's what the ATMs dispense, not Pacific Pesos ????

8 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

OP's in the Bodja so of course it's Yankee dollars. That's what the ATMs dispense, not Pacific Pesos ????

Whatever.

When I post from eg Saigon and state price of Saigon Green beer 440ml is 15,000dong .

I state 21 baht. .

AseanNow is Thai last time I checked. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Whatever.

When I post from eg Saigon and state price of Saigon Green beer 440ml is 15,000dong .

I state 21 baht. .

AseanNow is Thai last time I checked. 

USD is used extensively in Cambodia. You withdraw USD from ATMs and pay your way with USD. Usually you get your change in riel. Phnom Penh is not Saigon...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

USD is used extensively in Cambodia. You withdraw USD from ATMs and pay your way with USD. Usually you get your change in riel. Phnom Penh is not Saigon...

What is your point .

Who cares. 

My point is can folk use Baht in posts and in regards to months of the year avoid "Fall" etc.

Just yanks thinking center of universe using USD and seasons that apply to USA.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1