Thailand and Indonesia could soon become home for some lucky Aussies

webfact

13 minutes ago, LookMoo said:

Its more details if you follow the link to the full article and watch the Video.

Some details about Indonesia, but precious little about Thailand. Nothing's changed. What's the point of the article? It's cheaper here? Is that news?

1 minute ago, LookMoo said:

Correct it is called "Maternity leave". The made basically keeps the full salary. IN short 13 weeks of maternity leave with 100% wage paid throughout the period. Indonesia's maternity protection is fully funded by employers and not based on social security insurance.

Sharia law/tradition say that the formal employer is fully responsible for his employees.

Like in Doha? Qatar? The kafala system?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kafala_system

7 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

This is nonsense. The headline makes it seem that these are special visas only for Aussies. The guy quoted talks about buying a 3 bed house as if he thinks foreigners are allowed to own land in Thailand. No mention of cost of healthcare vs free govt healthcare in Oz or having to sell up everything at a loss and high tail it back home with nowhere to live there any more for free medical treatment. I have seen this sad scenario unwind for a number of retirees in Thailand. Some had even acquired Thai families they couldn’t get visas to take home and had to abandon.

Free health care that for even simple operations you have to wait a year I waited a year and after a year they gave me a date in a couple of months with no guarantee of that date, I came over here and got it done in a week, my ex in Australia needed knee replacement she ended up paying for it herself and will get it done in December , she needs a hip too but she joined a health insurance to get that next year, any free health care system it seems in a lot of places just means waiting and waiting.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

In a bid to rebuild its economy, the Thai government has announced it will grant Australian retirees a 10-year visa to relocate - and for a fraction of the price that it would cost on home soil.

What does that even mean?

1. Supposedly, Australian retirees need a visa for their 'home soil'?

2. Australian retirees will receive this visa once in Thailand, at a fraction of the cost compared to applying for it in Oz?

11 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

2. Australian retirees will receive this visa once in Thailand, at a fraction of the cost compared to applying for it in Oz?

No citizen needs a visa.

10 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Pretty sure that the Channel 9 writers meant that it is cheaper for an Aussie retiree to relocate to Thailand than to relocate within Australia. It's called downsizing - you sell the 3 bedder in a capital city for megabucks and move somewhere cheaper. The problem now is that the good spots up and down the coast are getting just as expensive as the city. 

"I pay less than $2 (here) for a flat white ... I pay about $4 for lunch," Astley said.

I call BS on this. You can't get a flat white here because nobody knows what that means. Also $4 is not even 100 baht. What sort of desperate lunch can you get for 100 baht? I guess since he overspent on his house then he can't afford to lunch at La Scala ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Actually no. They are one of the better seafood options.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/foods-high-in-mercury

You're probably right as far as an American website goes. Oysters are capable of bio-accumulating far higher amounts of organo-mercury compounds if they are present. It depends on where they came from, and how strict or lax the food standards are. Just ask a Minamata Bay survivor.

Many years ago, I worked as a consultant in the industrial area of Map Ta Phut, near Rayong. In auditing the water treatment systems, I found the most common solution to pollution was dilution. I doubt much has changed.

12 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

Must employ two Indonesians. It used to be one. That is, a maid.

Does this need to be full-time, i.e. basically the minimum cost from this is two Bali minimum wages which appears to be about 320 USD per month for two?

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You're probably right as far as an American website goes. Oysters are capable of bio-accumulating far higher amounts of organo-mercury compounds if they are present. It depends on where they came from, and how strict or lax the food standards are. Just ask a Minamata Bay survivor.

Many years ago, I worked as a consultant in the industrial area of Map Ta Phut, near Rayong. In auditing the water treatment systems, I found the most common solution to pollution was dilution. I doubt much has changed.

Dont eat it often. In beach town so had fish, prawns, clams and oysters. Probably not a good idea to eat seafood daily if living here. I mainly eat pork and eggs.

Swordfish is very nice if cooked right.

14 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

"I pay less than $2 (here) for a flat white ... I pay about $4 for lunch," Astley said.

I call BS on this. You can't get a flat white here because nobody knows what that means. Also $4 is not even 100 baht. What sort of desperate lunch can you get for 100 baht? I guess since he overspent on his house then he can't afford to lunch at La Scala ????

They don't need to know what a flat white means. I ask for a hot Americano with milk on the side. To me, that's a flat white.

In Chiang Rai, I occasionally have a spinach and mushroom omelet with salad on the side. 90 baht.

At the same place, the ham, cheese, tomato, onion and lettuce roll ( fresh-baked bread ) is 80 baht, the mango smoothie 70 baht. Fills me up nicely.

I'm sure Bangkok, Pattaya etc. those dishes would be much more expensive. And the coffee.

goodmeal15.jpg

26 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Pork and chicken dishes 50 to 100 baht with rice or noodles. Even Phuket has 50 baht dishes. Only seafood is over 100 baht or western or posh places.

Is expresso a flat white? Thats common here. I get lattes or cappucino.