Beer at 0900

kingstonkid

I ran the River Kwai half marathon once back in the 90's.  Singha was one of the sponsors and in their finish bag that they gave you at the finish line was a can of cold beer.  A lot of people don't drink so someone gave me their can and I knocked down two cans quite quickly.  This was probably around 8 or 8:30 in the morning.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

My wife went to the passport office in Pattaya on Tuesday. Her appointment was 08.30 and I had a walk down Soi 13 along beach road and back up Soi 11. Every bar I passed was being opened up and there was someone there with a beer. Even some sat outside the Sportsman having breakfast had a beer on the table.

That is my point they talk about the clsoing and sale of beer in stores but you go to Pattaya (beach road) and some others I have seen or go along SUk in the NANA area and people can't wait.

But for the TIT mindset, it is boggling that they have laws and will crucify mom and pop that sell a beer at 2:30 in the afternoon but walk past these bars that are open.

27 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I ran the River Kwai half marathon once back in the 90's.  Singha was one of the sponsors and in their finish bag that they gave you at the finish line was a can of cold beer.  A lot of people don't drink so someone gave me their can and I knocked down two cans quite quickly.  This was probably around 8 or 8:30 in the morning.

Torpedo style?

2 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Good time to ring up the mates in the UK and pish them off (or get them started.)????????

Better way to do it is Christmas day sitting outside in shorts and t shirt with a cold one in one hand and a lovely lady on your lap.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

That is my point they talk about the clsoing and sale of beer in stores but you go to Pattaya (beach road) and some others I have seen or go along SUk in the NANA area and people can't wait.

But for the TIT mindset, it is boggling that they have laws and will crucify mom and pop that sell a beer at 2:30 in the afternoon but walk past these bars that are open.

Quite, but not boggling. Other countries have been there and people should remember Thailand is effectively in a catch up mode.

At one time Scotland was far worse that Thailand, didn't even open on a Sunday. There was extreme opposition to all day opening but proved in many respects to be a beneficial move. Domestic abuse and alcohol related problems dropped significantly.

When I took my son to Canada about 15 years ago, that was like stepping into the dark ages compared to how Scotland had become. Have they moved forward or still draconian?

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I thought you stayed off the drink till after 5pm Steven, as before that you always make sensible posts, then after that --------. ????

Possum ..... I'm on the G & T's now .... I've had about 6 Gin and 7-up +  2 bottles  ...  i'm half cut again ... :burp:

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Lunch time or later like a non alcoholic.

that is absolutely correct .... I try to not start before 12.00 ...   the reason being I can try to last until 7-8 pm

haha ...   but it all depends on 6-7 bottles & how much G & T's ... 

I went to 7-11 to buy ice and a banana ....  but the staff are not the most efficient cashiers,  I see they are employing more muslim girls   ....  an Indian guy want to top-up his mobile 100 baht and another cashier is attempting to answer Sim card questions for a thai ....

meanwhile ......  the ice I bought has now been sitting for a good 5 minutes while i'm waiting to be served. 

So by the time I get home I've lost 20% of my ice to water,  but the banana is ok.

Back in 2019/2020 before the pandemic, I would go to Sukhmuvit soi 4, to have the breakfast at Hanrahans (now Fitzgearlds) and take my laptop to do a bit of work. Id walk through the soi around 9.45/10am and all the bars (Stumble Inn, Hilary 4, etc.) would all be open with a good amount of expats sitting facing the soi and drinking. By the time I left around around 12.30pm, the soi would be very busy with both working girls and blurry eyes expats (I'm assuming they weren't tourists due to their age). I'd say each to their own, but the expats didn't look that happy.

btw- in college, my friends and I considered Miller High Life to be the perfect breakfast beer, light and easy to pound down.    Now, I have never found something similar in LoS, so no more breakfast beer (totally not related to being a lot older and wiser now).

Kris said in an interview, "This song probably was the most directly autobiographical thing I had written. In those days I was living in a slum tenement that was torn down afterwards, but it was 25 dollars a month in a condemned building, and "Sunday Morning Coming Down" was more or less looking around me and writing about what I was doing. One time, some people broke into that place, and I had to call the police station to answer some questions about it, and the guy said, "Yeah, they really trashed the place when they went in there." But I hadn't noticed that it was any different. There were holes in the wall bigger than I was. It was quite a place, so "Sunday Morning Coming Down" is kind of more or less what I was living at that time. I guess it was depressing, I don't know, but the chorus was kind of uplifting. ... What I was really trying to do was to keep the feeling of loss and of sadness. For me at that time, it was the loss of my family and looking at a little kid swinging on a swing and his daddy pushing him. That was the feeling I wanted to get for the whole song. I think Sunday was the choice because the bars were closed in the morning and nobody was at work, so if you were alone, it was the most alone time..."

Edited by seedy

This ipenchant is an avoidable tragedy. 

I have never been to a bar in Thailand, period. 

I am too afraid of meeting deadbeats and tattooed lowlifes.

I love juice bars with Papaya milkshakes that turn one's skin yellow. 

Pattaya bars with bar girls are a total waste of money and time. 

If tomorrow were your last day on planet Earth, would you ever wish to spend it in a Pattaya bar with a pole dancer? 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2022 at 11:18 AM, seedy said:

Kris said in an interview, "This song probably was the most directly autobiographical thing I had written. In those days I was living in a slum tenement that was torn down afterwards, but it was 25 dollars a month in a condemned building, and "Sunday Morning Coming Down" was more or less looking around me and writing about what I was doing. One time, some people broke into that place, and I had to call the police station to answer some questions about it, and the guy said, "Yeah, they really trashed the place when they went in there." But I hadn't noticed that it was any different. There were holes in the wall bigger than I was. It was quite a place, so "Sunday Morning Coming Down" is kind of more or less what I was living at that time. I guess it was depressing, I don't know, but the chorus was kind of uplifting. ... What I was really trying to do was to keep the feeling of loss and of sadness. For me at that time, it was the loss of my family and looking at a little kid swinging on a swing and his daddy pushing him. That was the feeling I wanted to get for the whole song. I think Sunday was the choice because the bars were closed in the morning and nobody was at work, so if you were alone, it was the most alone time..."

Idiot Pop Stars like Kris should stay in the bars.

JS Bach never got his inspiration from lying around in flop houses or bars.

This is why JS Bach is Magnificent.

You can go UP.

You can go Down with Kris.

Your choice...

You know what I think, this fine morning?

Some guys need to make some hard choices between....

Following what you might consider....

Either the...

Apollonian...

versus the..

Dionysian....

Morning lifestyle.

In other words:  "The quarrel between Apollo and Dionysus is the quarrel between the higher cortex and the older limbic and reptilian brains".

If you insist upon using your limbic reptilian brains, then you will be the first one at the bar, this morning, at 9:00 AM.

OR:

Use your higher cortex and go for a jog with your friend with bouncing boobies on the beach.

That seems quite Dionysian, as well, of course.

Better yet, just get up early and have a bowl of noodles while reading a good book, and while enjoying the fragrance of some very expensive DongDing Wulong tea from Taiwan.  That, my friends, is definitely much more Apollonian.

Take my advice, or perish on the bar stool, me thinks.

Either way...Very best to You....

On 11/22/2022 at 12:18 PM, seedy said:

I heard that song recorded by Johnny Cash, and I cant imagine Kris Kristofferson singing it more touchingly.