Thailand’s Narcotics Control Board to meet next week to discuss making cannabis an illegal narcotic again

webfact

LOL...you guys just don't get it.  Things are unfolding EXACTLY as planned.

Now that people have significant funds invested in their Pot shops and other cannabis businesses, the next step is u-turn on the decriminalisation.

And...hey Presto....rivers of tea money because somchai cannot walk away from his "now illegal" business.

Don't buy into the altruism BS.  It is all lies, smoke and mirrors.  It is always about money here in Thailand.

Always.

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

What evidence?

You collate a few first timer smokers going to a hospital because they got paranoid with chain smoking, out of control yobbos?

In the majority of the rest of the world it is illegal to smoke ganja, so your point on weed smokers going to hospitals is moot anyway.

Since 2003 and every year since (apart from the covid break), I have been in the Songkran procession leading to Bang Saen.

Our route takes us from Phanat Nikhom to the beach at Bang Saen and every inch of the way is a party.

In all those years I have never seen the Thais out of control.

Some were drunk but it's a party, so it's expected.

In all of those Songkrans, I have never even witnessed an argument, never mind a fight.

Don't get me wrong, I have been to parties where Thais have fought but it's usually at a wedding with a family dispute arising or at a works function, where 2 colleges have a previous beef.

Could you say the same for your country, could they host a party event with all in water fights, where alcohol is easily available with thousands of people in a very small area, without any major incidents?

K dude...you win

4 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Except perhaps the reduction in IQ that it causes in teen users who overindulge.

Well even if that was true, they have restricted the sale to over 21's. That would not have occurred if it was still illegal  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, happydreamer said:

If you've ever ben around Thai people who are getting drunk or stoned you know they have no self-control.  If smoking a joint is good then eating a brownie and making a slurpee with THC oil and smoking must be the best.   Ive seen guys chain smoke joints like they're cigarettes.  And I thought I came from a country of excess and abuse.  These guys win hands down

You are talking absolute rubbish, I have never even seen anybody chain smoke cigarettes, what planet are you from?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

So, it has been legal for many years in other nations, Netherlands as one example, which have not obviously disolved into total chaos and wide spread overdose calamity. 

These anti-cannibas  types are saying that Thai people cannot handle it at all?

I think Thais are conservative. Girls will never come out of the bath without a towel on. This ganja thing was a big <deleted> deal and some don't like it. Drug use is rampant amount Thais. The country is awash in cheap potent addictive drugs. The marijuana legalization acknowledges this. Let's focus enforcement on priorities. 

My ganja plants are 10 feet tall.. btw. They may never bloom. I'm worried that if they do start flowering their hight will not support the buds. I have seedlings for an improved outcome for crop 2. 

I doubt there going to able to close the barn door after the fact. Can you imagine a major law change without chaos? 

I bet the cops could. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Many businesses are operating on borrowed money which is something the banks like. They are less keen on said businesses losing all revenue and defaulting on their loans because of knee-jerk changes to the law.

It won't happen; the genie is out of the bottle.

Thailand’s Narcotics Control Board to discuss proposal by cannabis opponents to recriminalize the plant today, 22 Nov
By Adam Judd

image.jpeg

Thailand - Thai Public Health Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said today to the Thai media that in his opinion cannabis cannot be reverted back into an illegal narcotic drug and he is not overly concerned with a proposal by cannabis opponents to try to ban the plant entirely again.

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1278485-thailand’s-narcotics-control-board-to-discuss-proposal-by-cannabis-opponents-to-recriminalize-the-plant-today-22-nov/

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, RobU said:

I think I can agree with you. Legalising all drugs will drive down the price and make it unprofitable for criminals. Tax them at a low rate and spend the billions 'fighting' drugs on controlling their use and setting up addiction programmes. I believe an experiment was carried out in Scotland where heroin addicts were supplied with heroin and they integrated and lived productive working lives because they didn't have to beg and steal and mix with bad boys to get the money for their regular hit.

Exactly!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Except perhaps the reduction in IQ that it causes in teen users who overindulge.

per·haps
/pərˈ(h)aps/
adverb
adverb: perhaps
  1. used to express uncertainty or possibility.

That's some pretty strong evidence that you have there. :crazy:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

Do you have any scientific proof to back up that statement? 

Of course not.

A bit like the claims that cannabis growers in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia actually spend money on pesticides, and then sell brickweed in bulk for 1,000 baht/kilogram. Because they have extra money, want to increase their production costs and make less money.

Anti-cannabis zealots know they are fighting a losing battle so they need to construct false arguments to buttress their position. And those arguments need to big, scary and at their core, unprovable. They hope to create fear, but ultimately just end up making themselves look silly.

Meanwhile the Kingdom drowns under the weight of a methampetamine crisis, with per dose prices reaching single-digits. And there are no controls on the sale of meth.

I'm all for controls on the production (testing), marketing (limited, but I do see some slippage on internet marketing of Leo, Chang and Singha beer), sales outlets (locations, opening times). I'd prefer to keep online sales intact, with biometric age verification, understanding that that system could be spoofed. But the benefit to smaller Thai growers is massive with direct to consumer online sales.

I'm not sure what might happen going forward. I think Anutin would like to maintain recreational, even though he is loathe to use that word - recreational got lumped into the "economic opprtunity" bucket when he spoke at length yesterday, and is willing to accept many/most reasonable controls. The other side - mostly political opponenents looking for a wedge issue, seems unwilling to accept anything short of full re-criminalization.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2022 at 11:57 PM, daveAustin said:

Be it on their heads if this comes to pass. A LOT of people have invested heavily.  

"Anutin was the primary champion of decriminalization of cannabis in Thailand to boost the economy."

and seems unusually quiet on the subject recently......

2 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Yes, all drugs known to men. 

Right now it's criminals that make serious money with drugs. Since smuggling is expensive and the drugs go through I don't know how many hands before they get to the consumer and every hand that touches them wants to make a profit the price goes up and the quality goes down, which makes it economically unfeasible for an addict, which in turn means they sooner or later have to resort to criminal activities to feed the monkey, which then keeps the cops and the courts busy and the prisons filled. In countries like the USA you also have lots of drug related deaths due to turf wars. Then there's the fact that the tax money spent on the war on drugs is just money thrown out the window because it's impossible to rid a country of drugs.

So, the solution is for a nation to produce the drugs themselves, tax them and sell them so cheaply that everyone with a job can afford to be hooked and still get through life. Have the buyers fill in an anonymous form that states their gender, age, bought drug and the amount of drug they bought and couple that with an annual anonymous health check and after a year you have solid numbers of who bought what and which diseases spread amongst users instead of guesstimates.

Literally over night you would get rid of drug gangs, turf wars and most of the criminal activities that come with being an addict, plus criminal organizations like the taliban, Al Quada, ISIS etc. would lose a massive junk of their revenue. 

The tax money that is spent on the war on drugs could be spent on other things like internal security or free health care, free education etc. 

The tax income generated by the sale of drugs could then be used for large scale anti drug campaigns in every classroom in every school once a year. Take the <deleted> up speed freak without teeth and the dirty heroin junkie into classrooms and show kids what drugs can do to you. Make it as disgusting as possible! 

Lastly, there will always be people wanting to do drugs and as long as there's big money to be made with them there will always be people willing to sell them. All prohibition does is create a black market that comes with crime. 

Now you could say, that it's immoral for a government to make money off drugs, to that I say, what about alcohol, cigarettes and prescription drugs? Obviously the government has no quarrels with profiting off the sale of those. Then you could argue that a lot of people will get hooked, if it becomes freely available. To that again I say, what about alcohol and cigarettes? They're legal and not everyone is an alcoholic chain smoker. 

Portugal is the perfect example of what would happen. They decriminalized all drugs for personal use back in 2011, if I remember correctly. The entire world was like, soon your country will be flooded with addicts, in reality the number of consumers actually went down and a lot of people free willingly went into rehab. So, overall it had a major positive effect. 

The reality is, most people won't want anything to do with drugs and that's not gonna change, if they were to become legal and the ones who want to take drugs will find a way, legal or not. 

You make a lot of sense.  And Portugal is a perfect example.  However I dont think that kind of good sense can be tolerated here.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Exactly!

2 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Yes, all drugs known to men. 

Right now it's criminals that make serious money with drugs. Since smuggling is expensive and the drugs go through I don't know how many hands before they get to the consumer and every hand that touches them wants to make a profit the price goes up and the quality goes down, which makes it economically unfeasible for an addict, which in turn means they sooner or later have to resort to criminal activities to feed the monkey, which then keeps the cops and the courts busy and the prisons filled. In countries like the USA you also have lots of drug related deaths due to turf wars. Then there's the fact that the tax money spent on the war on drugs is just money thrown out the window because it's impossible to rid a country of drugs.

So, the solution is for a nation to produce the drugs themselves, tax them and sell them so cheaply that everyone with a job can afford to be hooked and still get through life. Have the buyers fill in an anonymous form that states their gender, age, bought drug and the amount of drug they bought and couple that with an annual anonymous health check and after a year you have solid numbers of who bought what and which diseases spread amongst users instead of guesstimates.

Literally over night you would get rid of drug gangs, turf wars and most of the criminal activities that come with being an addict, plus criminal organizations like the taliban, Al Quada, ISIS etc. would lose a massive junk of their revenue. 

The tax money that is spent on the war on drugs could be spent on other things like internal security or free health care, free education etc. 

The tax income generated by the sale of drugs could then be used for large scale anti drug campaigns in every classroom in every school once a year. Take the <deleted> up speed freak without teeth and the dirty heroin junkie into classrooms and show kids what drugs can do to you. Make it as disgusting as possible! 

Lastly, there will always be people wanting to do drugs and as long as there's big money to be made with them there will always be people willing to sell them. All prohibition does is create a black market that comes with crime. 

Now you could say, that it's immoral for a government to make money off drugs, to that I say, what about alcohol, cigarettes and prescription drugs? Obviously the government has no quarrels with profiting off the sale of those. Then you could argue that a lot of people will get hooked, if it becomes freely available. To that again I say, what about alcohol and cigarettes? They're legal and not everyone is an alcoholic chain smoker. 

Portugal is the perfect example of what would happen. They decriminalized all drugs for personal use back in 2011, if I remember correctly. The entire world was like, soon your country will be flooded with addicts, in reality the number of consumers actually went down and a lot of people free willingly went into rehab. So, overall it had a major positive effect. 

The reality is, most people won't want anything to do with drugs and that's not gonna change, if they were to become legal and the ones who want to take drugs will find a way, legal or not. 

3 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Exactly!

The cost of a 10mg ampoule of pure diamorphine is less than a penny but it can have a street value of over £60. same applies to many other hard drugs hence it is considered easy Big money by criminal elements, Remove this massive markup by making it legally available, at cost, and the criminality surrounding such drugs (e.g. theft to fund the habit, gang wars, Terrorist funding) would probably evaporate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2022 at 7:36 AM, smedly said:

thailand does not need a nation spaced out on weed - getting into vehicles and hitting the roads - it is bad enough as it is with drunk drivers 

One big difference is the drunks like to speed while the stoners are back waiting for the stop sign to change to green.????

• Haha 2