Digital TV operators cry foul over “unfair” World Cup broadcast rights allocation

webfact

I'm not really into soccer but I do like watching the occasional World Cup match. It's a shame that I can't buy a WC-only package from True so I can stream the games at 1080i (or higher) over my True 500/500 fibre connection.

As free of course. And then I woke up! ????

The organisers went to all this trouble to get the best pictures and sound but all for nowt it seems, as far as Thailand goes...

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2022/11/18/fifa-world-cup-2022-overview-of-fifa-world-cup-match-coverage-plans/

Edited by Lemsta69

Digital TV Operators: World Cup Broadcast Quota Unfair

image.jpeg

BANGKOK,  (TNA) – Representatives of digital TV channels asked the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission to look into the allocation of live World Cup 2022 match broadcasts as they think it is unfair and favors some party.

The representatives filed their complaint with NBTC chairman Prof Dr Sarana Boonbaichaipruck and asked the commission to check the Sports Authority of Thailand’s allocation of live World Cup 2022 broadcasts to terrestrial digital TV stations.

They opposed the SAT’s exclusive permission for True Corp, which contributed 300 million baht for purchase of the broadcasting right, to broadcast 32 live World Cup 2022 matches through all platforms, choose the matches for the broadcasting and obtain commercial slots from digital TV stations participating in the World Cup 2022 broadcasting organized by the SAT.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1062221

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-11-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jcmj said:

Hey. They paid. If you want it pay up or find a place that has. Nothing is free in this country. It’s a pay to play system. I doubt that will change anytime soon. 

But they are free.

All the matches are being shown free to air on satellite and terrestrial systems.

The True matches are on True4U which again is FTA

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, brommers said:

Nothing is free on True, you have a monthly subscription to pay terryq!

Wrong.

True4U is a free to air channel on satellite and terrestrial transmissions and can be received free on a tv via aerial or set top box.

All FTA channels have to be carried on all local cable systems.

Edit.. writing at same time as above.

Edited by terryq
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, True Corporation, one of three sponsors, which also include Thai Beverage and PTT, said that they have contributed a total of 400 million baht for the broadcast rights and have issued a statement about the rights pertaining to True.

Monopolies win.

I don't know if this is part of the same issue, however I was unable to watch the footy last night. I got the channels but I just saw a 'sorry for inconvenience message' and something about broadcasting rights.  I have an AIS tv package.  What makes it odd is that I was able to watch the opening match.  Oh well, this is Thailand, and never a truer cliche.  I listened to the radio commentary on BBC.  It's pretty good actually.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

FIFA team is closest geographically to Bangkok?  I'd like to cheer for a local team, as close as local as we have anyway. I'm thinking Australia is the closest, then Mexico or Uraguay ?

FYI- Mexico is around 15,000 km away and Uruguay is pretty much the country farthest away from Thailand at 17,000km. Europe is only 7-9,000km. 

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Couldn't watch True4U last night on my computer.

That's what this article is about. It was OK watching from DTV reception or satellite, in cable TV, but not via internet streaming:

10 hours ago, webfact said:

that they could not watch the soccer match last night on their IPTV, internet, mobile or OTT platforms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonnapat said:

No English commentary for the England game yesterday.

Although there was for the opening match.

Tried the audio remote button many times with no luck.

Anyone else have the same problem.?

I watched the 1st half with Thai commentary - 2nd half, i opened up an APP on my ipad & screen mirrored it to my tv - No buffering at all & in English - Think i will do this again today.

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I don't know if this is part of the same issue, however I was unable to watch the footy last night. I got the channels but I just saw a 'sorry for inconvenience message' and something about broadcasting rights.  I have an AIS tv package.  What makes it odd is that I was able to watch the opening match.  Oh well, this is Thailand, and never a truer cliche.  I listened to the radio commentary on BBC.  It's pretty good actually.

Same for me on 3BB Gigga TV.   On the True for you channel just the same message you got !

21 hours ago, brommers said:

Nothing is free on True, you have a monthly subscription to pay terryq!

Yes, my Mrs says she gets it on her phone, but she uses True,,, that channel is not available on the FTA dish TV I have, but is on Sophon cable I believe.