Your essential guide to Thailand’s new driving license points system

webfact

If they want to do it really Thai style, everybody holding a license has to show up at his DLT with signed copies of his/her license, passport/ID, TM30, visa and so on.
1 complete set for each license card ! Wait all day with a queue number to receive a small booklet with 12 colourful stamps in it.
After completeing this procedure show up at the police station next to your registered address and get your booklet stamped and signed by an officer for a fee of 10THB. Don't forget to make 2 copies of the booklet on the way to the RTP and sign it with a blue pen !
Now you are ready to go ! ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

All driving license holders will start with 12 points each

Why do they make things difficult, always the opposite to what makes sense.

When you start you have No/Nil/Zero points, then accumulate them 

probably copy the genius AUS

Asking for a friend who was found driving

- against the traffic (2 pts)

- not stopping at zebra (1 pts)

- with no license plate (1 pts)

- without driving license (2 pts)

- way too fast (1 pts)

- while talking on the phone (1 pts)

- drunk as a skunk (4 pts)

- straight thru red light (2 pts)

- in a road race (3 pts)

So, he got 17 pts in 10 minutes ????

Lucky for him, there was no enforcement whatsoever (as usual) and he did not have a license to subtract the points from....
He is still driving around ????

Nothing will ever change on Thai roads until Artificial Intelligence is deployed using Robocops to arrest and punish these road miscreants. Having said that, any type of AI would outperform the current outfit.

Thailand needs to go back to bicycles for a few generations until they learnt obey basic rules.

Murder and mayhem by vehicular madness.

The level of ignorance, rudeness and general p i s s poor driving here never ceases to amaze me. I love driving in general but I detest driving here, especially in Bangkok, where "me first" definitely is the only rule of the day. Admittedly, when I worked in Vietnam I used to enjoy and look forward to the relative civilization of Thai roads. However that warm and fuzzy feeling evaporated years ago.

• Like 2

That must be April's fools day today... What a joke... They cant manage speeding fines that you receive at home, how are they going to manage points on a driving license.

Oh, I know, they will perforate your licence with a paper punch... When 12 holes il will be confiscated 555

14 minutes ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Amazing a LAW and still they cannot spell LICENCE corectly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the correct spelling in US English. 

I do wonder how many people will lost their licences as tallying up the points will involve quite a lot of paperwork for the BIB, time better spent collecting fines in cash.

4 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

So, if you drive  without a license they'll deduct two points from your inexistent license. The epitome of Thai logic.

Two points for driving thru a red light, GREAT soon there wont be so many motorbikes on the roads.  555

34 minutes ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Amazing a LAW and still they cannot spell LICENCE corectly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try again and see they are comparative

licence

lī′səns

noun

1. standard spelling of license
  2. a legal document giving official permission to do something
  3. excessive freedom; lack of due restraint

license

lī′səns

noun

1. Official or legal permission to engage in a regulated activity: synonym: permission.
  2. A document, card, plate, or tag that is issued as proof of official or legal permission.
  3. A contract allowing someone to use a proprietary product or service.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/licence-license/

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

"However, these points will be points deducted whenever they are caught committing a traffic offense."

So not very likely to happen then.

"Speeding, failing to stop for pedestrians at a zebra crossing, talking on the phone while behind the wheel, or driving a vehicle with no license plate will cost the driver one point."

Bowling over a pedestrian is only worth one point??

Things will have to change greatly for this to work in LOS.  I was pinged by a red light camera while driving my wifes' car a few weeks ago.  I was very apologetic and told her that I would confess as being the perp - but she said was no problem - plod does not need to know who the driver was! TIT.

The original article says . . .

"All points deducted will be credited back to drivers’ accounts after one year. "

So it appears that the points are not accumulative over 1 year.

Most I've been caught in 1 year is twice, going over a continuous white line. How many points for that????

Advice from Thais was to ignore the fines. Nothing happened on renewal of road tax.

This will only get applied to camera generated speeding tickets and DUI after someone gets killed. Otherwise, enforcement will continue as it always has i.e. there will be no enforcement. I have to admit that I really like this. 

So my only traffic crimes are speeding and they are all on the 7 motorway via speed camera's.

Never have I seen a pick that is clear enough to ID me (heavily tinted windscreen, can barely even tell there is a driver).

If I refuse to pay citing I was not driving.. how do they put the fines and points on me ?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

So my only traffic crimes are speeding and they are all on the 7 motorway via speed camera's.

Never have I seen a pick that is clear enough to ID me (heavily tinted windscreen, can barely even tell there is a driver).

If I refuse to pay citing I was not driving.. how do they put the fines and points on me ?

It unfortunately, as the registered owner of the vehicle or whomever is the registered owner, will cause the owner to get an increase in fines due to non-payment.  Here is an example for you all.  I apparently was issued a speeding ticket for 125 in a 120 zone around 2 months ago while heading to my house in HH from my condo in BKK.  All of my vehicles are registered through DLT showing my condo's address.  I never checked my mail when I came back and then went out of the country.  When I returned this past Sunday I found not 1 but 3 notices from the RTP, the first was for 500 Thb, then the 2nd one, since I had not paid the first was for 1K Thb, and then the 3rd notice, which apparently came the day before I arrived back at the condo is for 2K Thb.  With this last notice was a note on the citation which indicated if not paid within 2 weeks the fine would increase to 4K Thb.  Looks like I need to change the address to my House in HH at the Pranburi DLT, which means I need to complete a new TM30 in order to obtain a COR, or I just use the yellow book I have.  However, it is just a complete feces storm.  Why can not the Thai post office forward my mail to my HH Home if I tell them I have moved.  Guess there is no change of Address form here in Thailand like you can do in the US with the USPS. 

Tried to call the number yesterday on the citation and it was just busy, today when I called the lady answering the line said there was nothing I could do but pay the 2K...........I could just imagine if I had gone back to the US for 3 or more months how much the fine might be, and yes you can not see who was driving the vehicle, just the vehicle and the front plate......

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So how will points be given out for those speeding tickets issued by the camera to the owner of the car. Are they going to try and identify the driver or just add points to the owner of record even if they do not have a license to drive or what?

I own a few cars but only drive one. All tickets come in my name. I asked my driver what happens if the owner is not the driver. He called the number on the ticket. They said you have to go to the Land Transport Department to change the driver. I can see this is going to cause a lot of confusion, even for one car families where the car is shared between husband and wife.

5 hours ago, Bobtheblob said:

What always baffles me is, they stop people on a motorbike, fine then for no helmet no licence or no tax, then just allow them to drive off. They should impound the bike charge them for the service and only allow the bike back when said offence is sorted out.

These situations are for collecting cash only.

No tickets are issued, and the cash goes into brown uniformed pockets, both the collectors and their superior's.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Bobtheblob said:

What always baffles me is, they stop people on a motorbike, fine then for no helmet no licence or no tax, then just allow them to drive off. They should impound the bike charge them for the service and only allow the bike back when said offence is sorted out.

I was hit by a lady with no insurance the cop just let her go I guess having insurance is just a recommendation not a law 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Speeding, failing to stop for pedestrians at a zebra crossing, talking on the phone while behind the wheel, or driving a vehicle with no license plate will cost the driver one point.

Two points will be deducted if they are caught jumping a red light, driving against the prescribed traffic direction, or driving while their license is confiscated or suspended.

All of these traffic violations will be captured by a network of "smart" CCTV cameras, not the BIB out in the streets or on patrol.

It is part of the award-winning "Smart Safety Zone 4.0" scheme which was initiated by former National Police chief Pol General Suwat Jangyodsuk last year.

All the detection work as well as the ticketing notification work will be automated, so no direct intervention or action by the BIB.

They will continue to sit inside their AC bunkers and play on their mobile phones.

8 minutes ago, Encid said:

It is part of the award-winning "Smart Safety Zone 4.0" scheme which was initiated by former National Police chief Pol General Suwat Jangyodsuk last year.

The Smart Safety Zone 4.0 project won the “Best Experience in Community Policing” award at the World Police Summit 2022 held in Dubai in March last year.