When did farang start to mean a white person

kingstonkid

Many Thais with whom I've broached the subject insist that "farang" translates to "foreigner," but when I ask "are Japanese or Korean people also farangs?" then the reply is always an emphatic "no." Something doesn't jibe here!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

It is also made worse by adding the prefix ‘Ai’ as in ‘Ai Farang’ a very derogatory term for a generally white European or Western man.

Just like ‘chao ang moh’ is more derogatory version of ‘ang moh’ in Singapore. Literally “smelly red haired one” — but it always depends how it is said too.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Black people are called 'Negro'. Why don't they get called 'farang' same as us 'whites'?

Only problem is that black people are seen by Thais as being ugly.

No photo description available.

I shouldn’t laugh but it really does sum up South-East Asia and it’s many varying prejudices,a picture truly does say a thousand words! ????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

could you imagine back in canada walking around on a daily basis and when seeing or interacting with asians you constantly said

asian

asian 

asian

asian

asian

asian

asian

yes we know they are asian but we don't constantly need to say it or remind them about it. it would be really strange.

but then here all the time.......

farang

farang

farang

very simple minded if you ask me.

If a Thai moved to a Western country, I’m sure they hear themselves being referred to as Asian (or worse) all of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FarAngMoh said:

If a Thai moved to a Western country, I’m sure they hear themselves being referred to as Asian (or worse) all of the time.

I have seen instances of Farang husbands trying to point out to their Thai Mia Farangs (Foreigner’s Wives) that they are actually the Farangs now in their husband’s home country!

it didn’t end well on most of these occasions! ????

31 minutes ago, FarAngMoh said:

my wife moved to canada with me for over 10 years. i think maybe 2 or 3 times she spoke to me about this happening.