Pattaya hit-and-run suspect meets British victim to apologize, claims he did not run away

webfact

If he is found to be at fault, the cops will make him pay - but the Brit will have to go to the cop shop to negotiate a deal on compensation. That is what happened to me when a car hit me when I was riding. 

I spent an hour at the station, with the cop dealing with the case, insurance company and the dude that hit me. He ended up paying for a new bike (the bike was a total wreck) and money towards hospital costs. 

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

"Meth anus"? he doesn't even know where his head is. No wonder he can't remember he run away.

Or would it be worse to go through life with everyone calling you a peter palmer?

That's worse than being a peter o' tool.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Why do so many lie in this country like a child caught with its hand in the cookie saying they were just making sure the jar was full. Just be honest. 

Not sure if they realise they are lying or not, probably just part of the culture of never been wrong. Still get the feeling if my new driver wife would blame me for letting her drive if she had an accident.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many years ago my motorbike was parked outside of a bar, and some fool drove by trying to squeeze in between an oncoming car and the bikes. He smashed into about 5 bikes. Then he gets up and drives away. I asked the bartender if she recognized him and she said, yeah we all know who he is. The police found him within an hour. 

We met at the police station. I told him exactly what I thought of him. That he was not a man. That he was a tiny coward for running away. That he was not raised correctly. He was shocked. Guess nobody had ever told him the truth before. He was obviously an overly coddled creep. He even asked me to lie to his insurance company about what happened. I told him that I was not going to help him with his failed life. That was on him. 

The issue is that in Thailand's effort to help people to avoid responsibility for their actions, they did not seem to create a hit and run law. So, it is the same if you stop, or if you run. Same seems to apply when someone is hurt or killed. What can one say? Face is one of the greatest weaknesses within Thai society. It is a blight. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. I consider the practice of face to be the polar opposite of the practice of Buddhism, which teaches the need for introspection, contemplation, owning up to a problem, and taking responsibility for issues, problems and tragedies that you create in life.

You don't understand some things about Thailand and Buddhism. 

Also, indirect communicative style has many advantages. 

Making amends is something the Thai population is not sure about; some monks believe that you can change your Karma by making amends and making merit, other believe you can't. 

If I am in a serious accident, I might not stop - there are reasons for this. Not stopping does not mean not taking responsibility for fault. 

btw, did you tell the guy in Thai or English about him being a losing piece of ****?

1 hour ago, blackshadow said:

the big problem is getting money from a thai.....most are poor....and probably have NO job......or insurance !!!

What if you have an accident that is not your fault and you end up in hospital? If the other party does not have any insurance, then you have to pay the hospital bill, is it a case of hard luck, nothing can be done and the other party get's let of with maybe a small fine.

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

If he is found to be at fault, the cops will make him pay - but the Brit will have to go to the cop shop to negotiate a deal on compensation. That is what happened to me when a car hit me when I was riding. 

I spent an hour at the station, with the cop dealing with the case, insurance company and the dude that hit me. He ended up paying for a new bike (the bike was a total wreck) and money towards hospital costs. 

"money towards hospital costs."  Towards???? Not the full amount?? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If I had been the victim I would have refused to meet him until I saw him convicted, behind bars, a driving ban of 10 years hit on him and a huge compensation pay off received !

You may well have your opportunity if you walk around enough. Your opportunity to be disappointed, that is. The only ones who receive consequences here are the powerless as you already know. You'd have to have deep pockets and a few "phu yai" on your side if you want to actually mete out some consequences to someone with even a modicum of connection. Anyone beyond the lowest tiers would easily be able to stretch this out long enough to enjoy a nice jig on your bones.

• Like 1

You're toast if you do anything in that direction in Europe. It shows the character of this "flee the scene" pig, the lala land law enforcement and how Thailand meanwhile works.

Such manure is an absolute disgrace for land and people. The fellow can be lucky he did not hit me; I would make it absolutely crystal clear and ensure that he would never ever own a car by suing his beautiful bottom to the very end. The money would go to a hit-and-run foundation. And once the first f"*ç)=r is booked, the rest will follow - trust me!

Remember the days, when Thais had to learn to queue in banks and offices instead of squeezing in? All a matter of upbringing, character education and principle! 

He was told to surrender after the police caught up with him at his house. " Methanus apologized to Palmer, saying he was unaware that the victim was a foreign tourist until police officers showed up at his house to tell him to surrender. "  ( The Pattaya News ) 

What has the fact that he was unaware he was a foreign tourist got to do with anything?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sydebolle said:

You're toast if you do anything in that direction in Europe. It shows the character of this "flee the scene" pig, the lala land law enforcement and how Thailand meanwhile works.

Such manure is an absolute disgrace for land and people. The fellow can be lucky he did not hit me; I would make it absolutely crystal clear and ensure that he would never ever own a car by suing his beautiful bottom to the very end. The money would go to a hit-and-run foundation. And once the first f"*ç)=r is booked, the rest will follow - trust me!

Remember the days, when Thais had to learn to queue in banks and offices instead of squeezing in? All a matter of upbringing, character education and principle! 

Very true. The fact that it is part of the culture is no excuse for this atrocious behavior, and severe cowardice. Decency is universal. Either you have it, or you don't. 

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

How much went to the policeman?

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Very true. The fact that it is part of the culture is no excuse for this atrocious behavior, and severe cowardice. Decency is universal. Either you have it, or you don't. 

It is not cowardice, see my previous post. I've told many foreigners NOT to stop if they are involved in an accident, NOT to stop suddenly at a zebra crossing, and other things that can be very dangerous. 

2 hours ago, blackshadow said:

the big problem is getting money from a thai.....most are poor....and probably have NO job......or insurance !!!

I had an accident years ago, where a motorcyclist decided to overtake me on the inside as I was indicating and turning left. Although he hit me and fell off his bike he only had minor injuries. Although it was not my fault I had to pay for his emergency treatment at the local hospital (  only a few hundred baht for cream and a bandaid ) But the police told me I had to pay  500 Baht fine even though it was not my fault. I protested and asked them why. They agreed it was not my fault but said most motorcyclists are poor so they always fine the car / truck driver

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Maybe he will be charged who,s know.he said sorry will make a cash gift of some sorts to him.Case pretty much over now.Happened to a friend of mine in cnx thai driver paid out to him and hospital cost then pretty much a non event

I'd much rather be paid compensation and my medical costs covered than get nothing and have the guy go to prison.  

What bull! Police taking the suspect to apologize, that’s to protect the image of thai people nothing to do with actual remorse. He will now be eligible for a lesser sentence as will claim he has shown remorse and is forgiven by the foreigner. Old guy needs to make sure he writes in his statement that he does not forgive the Thai for running a red light and nearly killing him while on a pedestrian crossing, then leaving him to potentially die in the gutter

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

I had an accident years ago, where a motorcyclist decided to overtake me on the inside as I was indicating and turning left. Although he hit me and fell off his bike he only had minor injuries. Although it was not my fault I had to pay for his emergency treatment at the local hospital (  only a few hundred baht for cream and a bandaid ) But the police told me I had to pay  500 Baht fine even though it was not my fault. I protested and asked them why. They agreed it was not my fault but said most motorcyclists are poor so they always fine the car / truck driver

ALL WRONG is it not??

31 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

What bull! Police taking the suspect to apologize, that’s to protect the image of thai people nothing to do with actual remorse. He will now be eligible for a lesser sentence as will claim he has shown remorse and is forgiven by the foreigner. Old guy needs to make sure he writes in his statement that he does not forgive the Thai for running a red light and nearly killing him while on a pedestrian crossing, then leaving him to potentially die in the gutter

Lesser sentence?

What makes you think this will go any further? Have you read anything... I suspect this is the end of it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Why do so many lie in this country like a child caught with its hand in the cookie saying they were just making sure the jar was full. Just be honest. 

Because they think everyone is as stupid, gullible and naive as themselves 

• Thanks 1