Bank and passport check

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your permission of stay would be in your pp. 

What do you mean "they asked to show visa status. 

In any event what's the issue.

Perhaps as it involved money transfer.

What's the big deal. 

I mean that in the past, in the 2-3 times I used the WU service, bank employee never asked me to show my visa status. WU it's a money transfer, but in the past they just take a copy of my personal data. No issue and no big deal. Bank employee work for immigration now? 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

They told me it was due to new money laundering rules

Indeed. 

This has also impacted opening bank accounts.

While Bangkok has required a residence certificate now other locations are requiring the same

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

I just deposited 300k cash in central Bangkok a few days ago. Of course they want my pp. Just took the ## not even a photocopy.

Maybe you misunderstood OP? I agree and in fact I doubt they'd know one visa class fro6the next. Moreover, I can't see a teller caring. Odd.

Sometimes I even use my expired Thai Drs license

Edited by Posideon
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mino said:

I went to a bank in the local Mall and used the western union service as need to send some money quickly. I used few times before this service and today, for the first time, they asked me to show my visa status.

Is there perhaps some misunderstanding? Obviously, WU had to ask for your passport for identification, but did they in addition ask you to point to the page showing your current permission to stay?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

Is there perhaps some misunderstanding? Obviously, WU had to ask for your passport for identification, but did they in addition ask you to point to the page showing your current permission to stay?

I don't think the banks have to check for an extension of stay. They were able to check my passport on their computer, so all the information should have been there. I don't know if they can do that at Western Union.

11 hours ago, Posideon said:

I agree and in fact I doubt they'd know one visa class fro6the next. Moreover, I can't see a teller caring. Odd.

You would be wrong to doubt.

This is an extract from an email I received in 2014.

"We understand our foreign customers are staying in Thailand for various reasons.
Please see the details of required documents that fit your status. Please contact our
branch to update your information before 27 June 2014.
1. For Customer with Work Permit, please bring these items:
A) Your passport. (Branch staff will take care of making copies of certain page such
as Visa page and immigration stamp page
).
B) A copy of your Work Permit
2. For Customer with no Work Permit but possessing a visa for longterm
stay:
You can bring your passport to branch but please make sure your visa is a type that
allow for minimum stay of 9 months.
3. For Customer who is currently enrolled in academic institute and has no Work
Permit.
A) Your passport.
B) A letter from your academic institute to certify your status as a student.
C) A copy of your student ID card."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

I don't think the banks have to check for an extension of stay. They were able to check my passport on their computer, so all the information should have been there. I don't know if they can do that at Western Union.

It's been proven many times that they do.

16 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

The OP was asking a perfectly civil question?

Why do you feel the need to insult him?

What many trying to say is if they ask for it just show them...what the fuss...or one can close the a/c and go to another bank...SIMPLE 

• Like 1

They are not doing an immigration check? i.e, if you are an over stayer WU staff are not going to arrest you?????

WU have been doing the check on 'visa status' for years, its because you are making a financial transaction in Thailand. Banks also check now? Sometimes?

23 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

They are not doing an immigration check? i.e, if you are an over stayer WU staff are not going to arrest you?????

WU have been doing the check on 'visa status' for years, its because you are making a financial transaction in Thailand. Banks also check now? Sometimes?

I disagree. If you don't have a valid visa you will not be allowed to transact on your account, if you doubt that, go ask them, I did.

3 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I disagree. If you don't have a valid visa you will not be allowed to transact on your account, if you doubt that, go ask them, I did.

I am actually agreeing with you. Most banks now check ID and visa status. Western Union have been doing it for around 5 years, I am not sure how long the banks have been checking visas?

Before covid they didn't seem to?