Prayut’s Chances Of Prolonging Rule Getting Slim: Academic

webfact

image.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha. Top photo: Matichon, Front Page photo: Thai Rath

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

PRIME MINISTER PRAYUT Chan-o-cha is likely to have slim chances of prolonging his rule beyond the next general election since he is virtually getting stuck in a dilemma between dissolving the House of Representatives to call the nationwide race to parliament in a few months from now and further dragging his feet until the final week of March to mark an end to the House’s four-year term, according to a noted academic.

Ubon Ratchathani University law lecturer Trinet Sarapong remarked that Prayut’s chances of retaining his premiership after the general election are getting slimmer by the day since he has kept many MPs on edge as to whether he may dissolve the House at any time to call a general election in 60 days or he may only keep the legislative branch fully complete its term on March 24 without bothering to dissolve it and instead to hold the general election in 45 days as provided by law.

Whilst most MPs would understandably prefer to learn of an accurate time frame to prepare their electoral campaigns and get reelected, Prayut has been dragging his feet, remaining non-committal to anything political as if he had been contented with anxieties and bewilderments expressed daily by those electioneering politicians, Trinet said.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/12/15/prayuts-chances-of-prolonging-rule-getting-slim-academic/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-12-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

PRIME MINISTER PRAYUT Chan-o-cha is likely to have slim chances of prolonging his rule beyond the next general election since he is virtually getting stuck in a dilemma between dissolving the House of Representatives to call the nationwide race to parliament in a few months from now and further dragging his feet until the final week of March to mark an end to the House’s four-year term, according to a noted academic.

He's on skid row... his term is over.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Prayuth, Anutin and Phiphat could not have done a better job of sabotaging a vital industry, if they were actually trying to do so. If anyone did not see the reasons to oust these guys before, the vaccination drive alone is all the indictment the nation needs. 

No question, with the exception of some infrastructure, Thailand has been moving backwards for the past decade. On nearly every level. It did have a good run. Those days are behind it. So much self sabotage has been inflicted on this rather resilient nation, it would be a near impossibility for it to pull itself out of the abyss, shake off the molasses, and move forward. 

A very dynamic leader like Thanathorn would at least give the nation a chance at having a future. The current creeps do not. 

Japanese companies are relocating. Despite the constant lies, foreign investment is way down. Tourism is all but finished. 

I understand why nearly a million youth are on FB, trying to figure out a way out. The future must look very bleak to them. 

For many of us, who are fortunate enough to not have a business here, things are simpler, and less complicated. All we have to do is deal with the continuous daily drivel of these goons in charge. 

This will likely be a two to five year shake out. The financial devastation to the economy is bad. And it will be sustained. Massive unemployment. Millions are out of work. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Prayuth, Anutin and Phiphat could not have done a better job of sabotaging a vital industry, if they were actually trying to do so. If anyone did not see the reasons to oust these guys before, the vaccination drive alone is all the indictment the nation needs. 

No question, with the exception of some infrastructure, Thailand has been moving backwards for the past decade. On nearly every level. It did have a good run. Those days are behind it. So much self sabotage has been inflicted on this rather resilient nation, it would be a near impossibility for it to pull itself out of the abyss, shake off the molasses, and move forward. 

A very dynamic leader like Thanathorn would at least give the nation a chance at having a future. The current creeps do not. 

Japanese companies are relocating. Despite the constant lies, foreign investment is way down. Tourism is all but finished. 

I understand why nearly a million youth are on FB, trying to figure out a way out. The future must look very bleak to them. 

For many of us, who are fortunate enough to not have a business here, things are simpler, and less complicated. All we have to do is deal with the continuous daily drivel of these goons in charge. 

This will likely be a two to five year shake out. The financial devastation to the economy is bad. And it will be sustained. Massive unemployment. Millions are out of work. 

I'm probably more fortunate as I've quit the country after 20 years, however, I really feel sorry for the many I know with the intelligence to see what is happening but unable to do anything constructive about it as they are out gunned by the system of corruption and nepotism encouraged by those only concerned in their self-interest. Hopefully the day will come when enough ordinary people can topple the current system - but I see a lot of heartache and sacrifice before that comes about.     

• Like 2

PM clinging on as he seeks a path to power - Thailand set for a May 2023 General Election with the government serving its full term as PM Prayut Chan ocha seeks a path to back power.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/12/18/pm-clinging-on-as-he-seeks-a-path-to-power/

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I am very fortunate as I am still here. No place else I would rather be. Especially Europe or the US. I am one of the proud escapees. 

I departed for my son's higher education; I don't see the level of education being to the standard I want so bit the bullet and moved on - his future is certainly more important than mine considering I've been there and done most things I wanted, his turn now.   

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 1:39 PM, spidermike007 said:

I am very fortunate as I am still here. No place else I would rather be. Especially Europe or the US. I am one of the proud escapees. 

Then why do you bitch so much about the current gov't? Would we have been better off under Yingluck, or whatever other popular flavor-of-the-month PM? Of course, we'll never know -- but Prayut has certainly not been dysfunctional, and even with certain missteps with Covid, overall Thailand has navigated that horror much better than, say, China. And, now, the economy seems to be coming around, with projections in the positive column. Prayut certainly hasn't been perfect -- but I think he's done as well as any politician could have done in these trying times. Of course, you could never see that, knowing he came to power in a non-democratic manner -- which somehow negates his ability to govern.

Anyway, I'm glad you're "a very fortunate escapee from the US," with no better place to be than Thailand. Just not sure why you concentrate on the glass being 10 percent empty......

• Haha 1

Can we trust any election result, when it comes?  

Prayuth is too fond of power to let go easily.

If he is voted out, who is to make him go?

Logically, his chance of re-election are slim, but I do not believe that he will go willingly.

On 12/14/2022 at 4:31 PM, Andycoops said:

Whatever. His time is up and good riddance to the Muppet.

Don't hold your breath. 

They'll find a way - they always do. 

The broad system is rigged in their favour. 

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Then why do you bitch so much about the current gov't? Would we have been better off under Yingluck, or whatever other popular flavor-of-the-month PM? Of course, we'll never know -- but Prayut has certainly not been dysfunctional, and even with certain missteps with Covid, overall Thailand has navigated that horror much better than, say, China. And, now, the economy seems to be coming around, with projections in the positive column. Prayut certainly hasn't been perfect -- but I think he's done as well as any politician could have done in these trying times. Of course, you could never see that, knowing he came to power in a non-democratic manner -- which somehow negates his ability to govern.

Anyway, I'm glad you're "a very fortunate escapee from the US," with no better place to be than Thailand. Just not sure why you concentrate on the glass being 10 percent empty......

I focus alot on the glass being half full in my private life. Never, when it comes to the leadership here, who have failed the people on countless levels. 

P. S - Prayuth appreciates you being one of several dozen remaining supporters. 

On 12/17/2022 at 9:27 PM, anchadian said:

PM clinging on as he seeks a path to power - Thailand set for a May 2023 General Election with the government serving its full term as PM Prayut Chan ocha seeks a path to back power.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/12/18/pm-clinging-on-as-he-seeks-a-path-to-power/

A May 2023 general election in theory. 

We'll have to wait and see how such works out.

Recent history might suggest that some twists will be applied in their favour.